PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Status

hermangreene
05-06-10, 02:11 PM
I was given a medical discharge in 92 because my colars were broken during the pugil stick fight and they determined that it would not heal right with me there so they sent me home. Recently I got...

Bdchi1
05-06-10, 03:04 PM
Herman -- you need to complete your Bio page so we know more about you. <br />
<br />
Furthermore, if you were medically discharged from bootcamp, then you're not a Marine. You will need to change your status...

hermangreene
05-06-10, 03:24 PM
The information provided said that a &quot;Medical Discharge&quot; was the equal to &quot;180 days of active duty&quot;...I have not been able to get anyone on the phone which was the reason I am posting this question.

Quinbo
05-07-10, 02:06 AM
Your second post sounds like a pretty evasive answer to the question posed to you. Did you complete recruit training?

oldtop
05-07-10, 08:52 AM
Look at your form DD214..if it lists Character of Discharge (bottom, form MEMBER 4) as UNCLASSIFIED then you are not a veteran, period. If it says anything else, then you must meet the 180 day rule.

hermangreene
05-07-10, 09:04 AM
I will check my DD214 today for the "unclassified" status to see what it says... As far as completeing the training goes no I did not, they said that the damage was to bad, all I had left was the final O course to complete and they wouldn't even let me try it. Sent me to the fatboy platoon and shipped me out...

Bdchi1
05-07-10, 09:16 AM
I will check my DD214 today for the "unclassified" status to see what it says... As far as completeing the training goes no I did not, they said that the damage was to bad, all I had left was the final O course to complete and they wouldn't even let me try it. Sent me to the fatboy platoon and shipped me out...

herman: see the following link to an earlier thread on this site addressing your very same scenario. I hope it helps you.

http://www.quarterback.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30749

There is a lot of archived information on this site and if you use the search tool, you can find answers to most of your questions.

hermangreene
05-07-10, 09:29 AM
Thank you all for the information... I come from a long line of JarHeads who have served in every war... I have never said that I was a Vet as I would not want to dishonor my Fathers that went before me fighting for what they believed in... I brought this question to the table trying to make sense of all the paper work that has only lately started coming to me...

Quinbo
05-07-10, 09:35 AM
Hopefully you have just forgotten the training matrix and terminology. Based on your statement that you did not complete training you are not a Marine or a Lance Corporal.

redman1
05-07-10, 10:02 AM
Sounds like to me from what you have said that your not a Marine and I don't know why you say your a LCpl
Semper Fi Redman

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:08 AM
If you were hurt during recruit training and received a medical discharge or any sort of disability rating I believe you're entitled to specific medical coverage at a VA facility relating...

oldtop
05-07-10, 10:11 AM
Correct... if your condition is bad enough, you can (and probably should) file a VA claim for disability.

redman1
05-07-10, 10:13 AM
Good advice NoRemorse
Semper Fi Redman

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Buddy.

I'd implore all of us to keep good medical records even if we rarely go to the doctor. Ya never know what might crop up or what documentation you need.

redman1
05-07-10, 10:25 AM
I got my records from my doctors and I have a folder and I carry them every time to the VA now that I got in. I never give them out I let them make copies
I even carry my DD214 with me and everything they send me and it works
Semper Fi Redman

Quinbo
05-07-10, 10:26 AM
I am not trying to stir the pot but it is hard for me to grasp a recruit getting collar (bones?) broken with a giant q-tip then getting sent to the pork chop platoon. The obstacle course is just a day in the life of a recruit and not the end all finale.

Hopefully just a terminology and training matrix faux pas but seems a little strange to me.

Bdchi1
05-07-10, 10:29 AM
herman -- we don't want you fracturing your collar bones on this site and being med-discharged from this site for claiming to be a Marine (and LCPL)...So, contact a Moderator on the site and get your...

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:30 AM
I am not trying to stir the pot but it is hard for me to grasp a recruit getting collar (bones?) broken with a giant q-tip then getting sent to the pork chop platoon. The obstacle course is just a day in the life of a recruit and not the end all finale.

Hopefully just a terminology and training matrix faux pas but seems a little strange to me.

Who knows; could be a euphemism for something else. What happens in the squadbay stays in the squadbay... until Rct PuffnStuff writes home about it to mommy.

Hell, I knew a guy who shattered... like completely shattered his tib/fib on the bridge during Pugil Sticks.

Quinbo
05-07-10, 10:34 AM
Who knows; could be a euphemism for something else. What happens in the squadbay stays in the squadbay... until Rct PuffnStuff writes home about it to mommy.

Hell, I knew a guy who shattered... like completely shattered his tib/fib on the bridge during Pugil Sticks.

I'm guessing he went to MRP?

redman1
05-07-10, 10:39 AM
Too many ?????????????????????
LCpl???????????????????
But if he's for real I hope he gets help
Fishy??????? Yes
Semper Fi Redman

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing he went to MRP?

Yeah; while in the hospital. I processed him when he got transferred to RSP.

If these recruits fight for it they can stay longer. I'm not talking about sponging off the government. They get a chance to sort of make a case to heal up and continue training depending on how long they have to heal up or rehab.

Even that gets fudged. You'd be surprised to see the brass taking an interest in some of these kids. I'm talking about full bird Colonels and what not.

redman1
05-07-10, 10:46 AM
O.K. I'm stupid what's RSP?
Semper Fi Redman

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:48 AM
O.K. I'm stupid what's RSP?
Semper Fi Redman

Recruit Separation Platoon. Where they send dreams to die and non-hackers home.

Used to be casual platoon.

Quinbo
05-07-10, 10:48 AM
We've gone on a giant tangent here. The guy said he broke his collars in pugil sticks and was put in a fat body platoon. The only thing he needed to complete to graduate was the obstacle course. <br />

hermangreene
05-07-10, 10:54 AM
Let's clear the water about my colar bone...A looser who couldn't accept that he got beat came down on my colar after the whistle blew and the bar crushed my shoulder bone... Yes, I was sent to MRP...

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 10:54 AM
Gotcha. Was there an MRP back in 92 or was it all one giant platoon like the females had? <br />
<br />
If not then it don't add up. You break bones then you're usually off to MRP then PCP to mini-PFT your way...

Lisa 23
05-07-10, 11:01 AM
So...instead of registering as a Marine Friend and posting this in another foum, like maybe Open Discussion, you lied about being a Marine ( a LCpl to boot) and now want info? Wow.
That's why there are the good folks at the VA to help you out with this.

Quinbo
05-07-10, 11:02 AM
Ramon ....

We both seem to be feeding him so I'll keep my yap shut. Seems to be adjusting the story to fit responses.

NoRemorse
05-07-10, 11:03 AM
Ramon ....

We both seem to be feeding him so I'll keep my yap shut. Seems to be adjusting the story to fit responses.

Easiest way to catch a fish is to feed him a line ;)

Bdchi1
05-07-10, 02:03 PM
When I was on PI, my platoon picked up several temp drops from PCP (a.k.a. Physical Conditioning Platoon&quot;; a.k.a. &quot;Pork Chop Platoon&quot;). Some were former fat bodies, but some were sent to PCP from...