PDA

View Full Version : Marine Aviation Mechanics and Combat Support

Aguilar90
05-05-10, 02:20 PM
I am currently awaiting confirmation on my MOS and my top pick was Aviation Mechanic followed by Combat Support. I dont like to assume but I am pretty sure I'll be getting Aviation Mechanic since my ASVAB score was good enough for it ( :banana: ). While i wait though, can somebody that is currently in any of these two MOS' tell me how a typical day on the job is? how about technical school?

I appreciate all of your help in advance.

thezero
05-05-10, 05:12 PM
Aviation mechanic covers a lot. 60/61/62.

The schools are in Pensacola, FL. And it's fairly nice down here. The schools are good, but depending on what division (school house) you are will depend on your school. I am in the AL division and it's run pretty tight, we share a barracks with the air force and AO (Marines live on first deck). My school house is very good, and PT with us will get your PFT score up, we also have higher standards and where I used to live with the AM division we are more squared away and don't go through the same B.S. they do. We PT Mon, Wed, and Fri. We have room inspections Tues, Thurs, and Friday. We are at the school house by 0700 on days we don't have PT and 0800 on days we do. We get out at 1100 for chow and are back up at 1230 until 1430 on average even though we can be kept until 1600.

Any more questions on the Aviation mech side for school feel free to ask.

Aguilar90
05-12-10, 09:26 AM
Quick update.

I got confirmation on AF, I'm Pensacola bound :D

WXSgt
05-12-10, 02:38 PM
I was also there but went through AD(engine mech) school in 03-04. I enjoyed it alot. AF is a big option thats what i had itll be between ordinance, airframes, hydraulics, powerplants, ground support equipment and parachute/ejection seat pplz. so ya its a large group. I was a 6227 F404(F/A-18) engine overhaul mechanic. we didnt deploy much and only 3 bases in the Marine Corps AND Navy. ohh and it was non promoting lol. but i wish you the best and do you have any idea which specific field you want and helicopters or fixed wing or osprey.

Aguilar90
05-13-10, 01:19 PM
Yeah i read the AF info sheet and there are plenty of jobs that fall under its category. when i was in high school i attended an aviation school and got the privilege to work on both fixed wing and rotor aircraft so i dont really mind if i work on helos or fighters lol. Though i want to work ON the aircrafts instead of at a shop. I have a question though, what are the bases that AF's are most likely to get sent to? I would like to go Japan :iwo: lol

WXSgt
05-13-10, 01:31 PM
in Japan there is MCAS Iwakuni, just south of Hiroshima(i spent 3 years there) but they are only F/A-18 for now with other units deployed there. and then MCAS Futenma on okinawa which deals with C-130's and helos.

Aguilar90
05-19-10, 01:47 PM
Thanks a lot for replying, Sir. In reply to your previous question of what specific field i would like to work on it would be Powerplant since i did Airframe as a student at the aviation school i attended. Just thinking for the time i get out of the Corps i would already carry the experience of both fields and it would be easier to obtain the A&P certificate...But then again i dont think that that is up to me.

WXSgt
05-19-10, 01:56 PM
look into the USMAP program. once you are a cpl and have 2 years in fleed u can apply for ur A&P license. ull be looking for 6217 F/A-18 engine mech 6212 Harrier engine mech 6216 C130 engine mech. all of these are working on engines while physically in aircraft with the squadrons deploying and all. i was a 6227 F404 engine mech. basically when the 6217's couldnt keep it running or when it got past time limits theyd send it to me to get fixed and overhauled.

Aguilar90
05-19-10, 02:03 PM
That sounds like a good program, especially since it would save me money in the civilian world lol any idea on where could i get more info about USMAP?

WXSgt
05-19-10, 02:24 PM
https://usmap.cnet.navy.mil is the website once you join the education office would be able to help you. youd need your supervisor to sign off on sheets where you log in your hours. basically do all the tasks and required time and u can be certified. btw it stands for inited services military apprenticeship program.

thezero
05-19-10, 03:18 PM
They have C-130's in Oki then F-18's in Iwakuni, thats it for Japan? I am in Pensacola now (graduate June 3rd!) and the schools good, I'm one of the Ejection Seat guys but our job deals with other stuff more than the seat itself since the less maintenance/you handle it the less chance you have to **** it up. I know some about the air frames school since a lot of my friends are air framers. AF is 6-7 depends on I or O level,AD is a 4 week school, PR is 12, AME is 7ish, AO is 3 weeks, then I don't know about EAF or GSE. The school itself does not include the preliminary classes you have to take or if there is a wait to class up. AD and AF class up pretty quick, GSE right after they do ATT/Awat, PR and AME have the longest waits, AO is instantly but do several classes before going to their curriculem.

WXSgt
05-19-10, 03:25 PM
they also have helos on oki but yes thats it. there are harrier helo and prowler squadrons that do deploy to iwakuni however. btw what is AF class? thought it was AM lol

SCastlelands
05-22-10, 03:27 AM
You can't forget about the 6500 field which is Aviation Ordnance

thezero
05-22-10, 12:49 PM
I mentioned AO, LCpl, don't worry no one will forget AO.

And Sergeant I messed up I saw the thread starter put AF and typed AF in place of AM.

Aguilar90
05-25-10, 01:41 PM
yeah i typed AF for some reason thats how it is written on the Aircraft Mechanic worksheet. Sgt. i talked to one of the SSgt. at the recruiting office who happens to be an Aircraft Mechanic and gave me more information about USMAP its a pretty sweet deal. i cant wait to go to bootcamp already and get started with this new chapter of my life.

Does it matter if you do Powerplant or Airframe when it comes to what base you are going to be deployed to? i would think they would need Aircraft Mechanics regardless of their field, or is there a base where they only work on Airframe or Powerplant?

WXSgt
05-25-10, 02:36 PM
ok my work i could only go to 3 bases iwakuni miramar and oceana but could deploy to al asad or an aircraft carrier. but yes ur mos does matter. if u get f-18's ur not going to go to yuma which has only harriers. but as to powerplant or airframes no they are hand in hand at squadrons not always at the mals which i did and not what u were wanting lol

Aguilar90
05-31-10, 12:19 AM
oh ok thank a lot for all your responses Sgt. you have been of great help sir.

WXSgt
05-31-10, 03:07 PM
Anytime aguilar enjoy it all I know I did