PDA

View Full Version : Any body with 1st MSOB

Mullane
05-05-10, 12:19 AM
Im looking into re-enlisiting and gotta do it fast, but im thinking about tryin to get orders to 1st MSOB any one out there work with or at 1st MSOB, you know hows the unit run?, operational tempo? id assume its about as fast as my current unit because of their mission. any info has got to be better than their sorry 4$$ website offers

Quinbo
05-05-10, 03:16 AM
What is MSOB? Are you a pseudo Corporal? How many chucks would a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? Did you know that if you multiply 111,111,111 X 111,111,111 it equals 12345678987654321? The fastest animal in the world is the cambodian chicken. French fries in england are called chips.

Now what was your question again?

fs19
05-05-10, 06:18 AM
MSOB= Marine Special Operations Bn. I don't have much first hand knowledge of what they are like, but we have had a few guys go over there and they all love it. Also last year Marines only made up about 5% of SOCOM, but did 11% of the work, so I would imagine they are pretty busy.

Mullane
05-05-10, 11:07 AM
ya id assume theyre pretty fast paced, but i do have a buddy workin in the 4 shop with recon and in between deployments they (pog's) dont really do a damned thing , hes had a few cool training oportunities, but not alot side from required training

and Bulkyker the better question is, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was Chuck Norris.......All of it

SNusbaumer
05-05-10, 04:14 PM
Well, before you get orders for 1st MSOB you must be in MARSOC, and that is not a lackadaisical thing that one does. I suggest you first find out what MSOTs actually do, determine if that is what you want to do, and then see if you can make it into MARSOC.

In fact, MARSOC is "hiring," it needs more Marines. Interestingly, FR is full.

Mullane
05-05-10, 05:06 PM
Oh no I'm looking at gettin orders to H&S Co. I'm an embarker ( what can I say my recruiter was good) I can't be a CSO , or most mos's I want to, partialy colorblind

SNusbaumer
05-05-10, 05:29 PM
So you want the Support Group, MSOSG. That is different than a MSOB. I have no idea if they need bodies, since they can draw off of a larger pool. As for when deployed, they're right there with the MSOTs.

hussaf
05-05-10, 05:35 PM
So what I know about MARSOC, info from friends around Jan., is that its still a little crazy and going through growing pains. If your not a shooter, you are generally marginalized. Um, and they had recruitment signs all over the place on LeJeune. That's about all I know. Judging by all the recruiting sign either their are desperate to get bodies into Marsoc or they are desperate to get good, qualified bodies into Marsoc. I imagine your PSR would have some info, if not there might be a local Marsoc rep.

LandsNGrooves
05-05-10, 07:31 PM
1st is @ Pendalton. 2nd and 3rd are here on Lejeune.

Growing pains is right. If you ever talk around, youll notice Marsoc throws a lot of money around for reups. Thats because Marsoc has yet to get a MOS field. This means everybody from new operators to MSOS staff still competes in their original MOS for promotions.

gwamo1
05-06-10, 09:42 AM
To get into the H&S BN you have to fall within a certian MOS that they need. I forgot what they were, but their is a list out their somewhere. I tried to get orders also, but my MOS was not what they needed. Being embark, they may need you though. Good luck.

SNusbaumer
05-06-10, 11:38 AM
Mullane, Look at this,

http://http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/2010/100429-M-STC.aspx

SNusbaumer
05-06-10, 11:47 AM
I can't get this link to work, so I'll cut and paste:

The first Special Operations Training Course helps close the gap between MARSOC critical skills operators and special combat support operators

5/6/2010 By Sgt. Matt Lyman , Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command
When Marines hear the word ‘MARSOC’ they typically think of stellar Marines with the highest-speed gear who move the quietest, the fastest and have suppressors on every weapon they carry.

While there is that aspect of U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command there is also another side, one that often surprises anyone who happens to hear of it, comprised of the combat support Marines that act as the backbone of the Marine Corps’ pony in the U.S. military special operations derby.

While it takes a uniquely talented Marine to earn the title of MARSOC Operator, it takes an equally talented Marine to deploy in support of the special operations forces. These are Marines who love the Corps and their military occupational specialty who are looking for something different, something a little out of the ordinary. However, the transition from operating with conventional Marine Corps units to support special operations teams requires some reinforcement of critical skills.

“The School of Infantry prepares combat support and combat service support Marines to perform common warfighting skills as required in a conventional environment. The Special Operations Training Course was developed to train Marines and Sailors from CS and CSS backgrounds in common warfighting skills. The CS and CSS Marines and Sailors in MARSOC perform their MOS functions, but must perform them in a SOF environment,” said Maj. William Mangus, operations officer for the Marine Special Operations Support Group.

This brand-new, 22-day course is designed to reinforce and enhance the combat basics these Marines learned during Marine Combat Training, and from any pre-deployment training or skills they’ve learned while deployed.

“Prior to STC we conducted pre-deployment training using Division and Marine Logistics Group schools in an uncondensed manner, we needed an efficient and effective way to teach these skills and nothing else worked,” said LtCol. Kevin Hawley, executive officer for MSOSG. “We discovered the most effective way to conduct combat skills training was to have a condensed course tailored to MARSOC’s needs.

The STC teaches combat skills to all personnel deploying with MARSOC,” added Hawley. The STC ensures the support Marines can keep up with the critical skills operators and provide them with every type of support they may need. Eventually, it is the intent of MARSOC to send every Marine who is not a critical skills operator through the STC. This course will become for special combat support operators what ITC is for Marines selected to enter the critical skill operator student pipeline.

During the course, Marines attend weapons classes to reacquaint them with the M9 9mm service pistol, M-4 carbine, M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, M240G medium machine gun and the M2 .50 heavy machine gun. They are also afforded the opportunity to fire these weapons in a variety of scenarios to simulate combat situations in order to refine already present intuition and knowledge and give them the confidence to perform effectively in combat should the need arise.

Prior to the weapons training in STC, the Marines migrate through a variety of training from operations order planning, orders development, fire support and call for fire missions, to land navigation skills building with maps, global positioning systems, compasses and overlay development. They are also put through communications classes to familiarize them with various radios, digital overlays and computer applications.

The remaining portions of the course include medical training and combat life saver classes, warfare tactics in various environments and room-clearing techniques. Students also attend cultural and civil affairs classes to ensure they understand the bigger picture of what MARSOC is doing on the world stage.

Hawley touched on upcoming phases of development by describing how the course will “…grow from a proof of concept that teaches the appropriate level of skills, to verifying that the training is going to fulfill the needs of MARSOC and to determine if we are devoting the right amount of time teaching the right skills we are required to teach before Marines deploy.”

The current model for the course has MARSOC personnel attending the course once they get selected for deployment. In the future, the course will be required for all Marines and sailors who check into MARSOC as a special combat support operator to ensure every member is ready to deploy in support of special operations missions.

Mullane
05-08-10, 10:15 PM
hey thanks alot that piece was extremely informative, i appreciate all your information, ive been talkin to my Bn CRS about this also, just gotta worried about getting my re-enlistment approved first which is huge hurdle in itself thanks those outstanding recruiters who managed to overfill the corps by thousands haha

SNusbaumer
05-08-10, 10:54 PM
Glad to help. As for the reenlistment hurdle, I assume it's going to get higher in a few years so getting over it now is better than latter.

As you probably know, there has been complaints from MARSOC operators that the support personnel were not up to an acceptable level, so this training is meant to remedy this problem. Have fun.

supermanlives22
05-23-10, 08:16 AM
i might be a little late on replying but im in the intel field and i know that they need guys i just got orders to w det msosg. my understanding is its a 5 year obligation and in about a year there guys will be released so now they are requesting marines in all fields so this might be the time to jump on it. i got the info from a mgysgt who offered me the orders. but good luck maybe i will see you there.:flag:

HOWARDROARK3043
09-29-10, 01:19 PM
first rule in marsoc ----DONT TALK ABOUT MARSOC/./....

SNusbaumer
09-29-10, 01:31 PM
Depends. MARSOC talks about MARSOC. And it requests writers to write about MARSOC. Last year I embedded with a MSOT in Afghanistan, and wrote an article for Leatherneck about my embed. But MARSOC does have some special rules for journalists, but they are not a problem in writing a story. It was a good experience and, personally, I was impressed with the guys.

usmc3521
09-29-10, 06:59 PM
why don t you try and get a slot at the Marine Corps NINJA TRAINING ACADEMY? They just started this school its in the mountains of lower China and is trained by the only existing true blood Ninja of the Asian Order of martial arts. I guess this school puts BUDS hell week to shame.