PDA

View Full Version : Earning a degree in the military

Jeff5886
05-04-10, 09:04 PM
I am trying to get my degree while sill on active duty. I am curious who else is doing this or had done this. What school did you go to and did you like it? How many credits did they take from your military experience? I am basically trying to find a school that will take in MAX credits from my military career so I can get my degree as quickly as possible.

I am currently with University of Phoenix and I HAD 53 credits. The recently updated their policy and now they cap the maximum allowable credits that can be transfered to 30. So they took credits from me. Seriously. So after yelling at my counselor, who says he is going to try and fix it, I want to explore other schools.

Thanks,
Jeff

BR34
05-04-10, 09:19 PM
I'm going to AMU. The amount of transferable credits will vary depending on your specific major.

I finished 2 classes on the 25th which gave me a total of 47 credits. Two days later I changed my major to 'History BA' and loss 8 of the credits I had. For a major in Security Management they transferred 26 credits from the Marine Corps. For my new major they only transferred 18 (because History major only requires 18 electives).

Jeff5886
05-04-10, 09:23 PM
I'm going to AMU. The amount of transferable credits will vary depending on your specific major.

I finished 2 classes on the 25th which gave me a total of 47 credits. Two days later I changed my major to 'History BA' and loss 8 of the credits I had. For a major in Security Management they transferred 26 credits from the Marine Corps. For my new major they only transferred 18 (because History major only requires 18 electives).

How many credits did they give you from the military initially?

BR34
05-04-10, 09:32 PM
I initially had 26 from the Marine Corps and 15 from prior college.

Jeff5886
05-04-10, 09:33 PM
I initially had 26 from the Marine Corps and 15 from prior college.

Do you like AMU, how difficult is it? How is the customer service/counselors?

BR34
05-04-10, 09:37 PM
I like it. Books are free (included with tuition) so they're shipped 2nd day air after registering for a new class. The counselors are great. When I switched my course my adviser took the time to explain to me just how ever thing would work. The Marine Corps doesn't block the forums and other parts of the school's site like they do with Phoenix so I can get school work done at work-big plus.

Really, I have no complaints.

TinDragon
05-05-10, 07:19 AM
AMU is/was used by a couple Marines in my shop too. It seems to be the most popular choice for Marines around here in my unit.

hussaf
05-05-10, 08:20 AM
So its not necessarily AMU, but that's what most people know it as. Its part of the American Public University System (APUS), which includes both American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). A couple semesters ago they restructured the class system and pretty much they are all the same regardless of which one you go to (not sure if there is even a difference anymore). All the courses have the same course number for both AMU and APU. The APUS is way better than University of Phoenix/Kaplan etc, as these are for profit institutions. APUS is about 250 a credit hour whereas UP is something like $475. I really enjoyed my time with APUS and just finished up my coursework for a BA. The instructors are mostly real-world professionals who are active in their job field. For example, my degree was in international relations and some of my professors would shove off to UN meetings and things like that and would gives us info on what went down. But that is my experience. Good luck!