PDA

View Full Version : Disqualified For My Tattoo

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:08 AM
The new policy doesn't allow any tattoo to be on the collar bone due to the v-neck uniform Marines wear.

I was suppose to going up to MEPS yesterday but we stopped at my recruiter's boss's office in Lexington and he took a look at my tattoo and immediately disqualified me.

However my question is whether not this tattoo could be waivered in the future so I may once get to enlist in the USMC

ssgt Morgan's boss tried directing me over to Army and the other branches but I'd much rather wait til the new policy lightens up (if that's actually possible.)

BR34
05-04-10, 10:11 AM
What v-neck uniform? We don't wear any uniform where your collar bone is showing, unless you go t-shirt less in Charlies, which is something that is only done by weird ass 50 yr old Colonels.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:13 AM
What v-neck uniform? We don't wear any uniform where your collar bone is showing, unless you go t-shirt less in Charlies, which is something that is only done by weird ass 50 yr old Colonels.
My recruiter had me try on a v-neck button up in which the top of my eagle's head and the words above it were poking out.

He told me he didn't get the policy because you do indeed wear an undershirt.

Of all the things I'd get disqualified for I thought this would be the unlikeliest.

BR34
05-04-10, 10:16 AM
That makes absolutely no sense at all. The t-shirt would cover it up (I'm assuming), and its a part of the uniform just like shoe strings on coraframs or shirt-stays on shirts.

Does the tattoo show in pt gear?

BR34
05-04-10, 10:17 AM
Oh nevermind, I see your profile. You sure you weren't DQ'd because of the SIZE of the tattoo?

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:19 AM
Oh nevermind, I see your profile. You sure you weren't DQ'd because of the SIZE of the tattoo?
That may be a possibility but they were talking about how it was on the collar bone and how my recruiter's boss had someone come in earlier with the same problem except his was much smaller.

So I guess a mix between the two.

Would this be waiverable in the future?

I don't want to settle for any other branch.

TinDragon
05-04-10, 10:38 AM
That may be a possibility but they were talking about how it was on the collar bone and how my recruiter's boss had someone come in earlier with the same problem except his was much smaller.

So I guess a mix between the two.

Would this be waiverable in the future?

I don't want to settle for any other branch.
It's always possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are likely that it'll change eventually, but changing in the next 5 years? Not very likely.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:41 AM
It's always possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are likely that it'll change eventually, but changing in the next 5 years? Not very likely.
Sounds like I need to keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you all for the time out of your day to discuss my current dilemma.

Have a nice day

Quinbo
05-04-10, 10:45 AM
Holy cow! That is a serious tatoo.

polizei
05-04-10, 10:48 AM
I'm also failing to see how that tattoo would cause an issue. From what I can tell, it wouldn't show in PT gear OR chucks.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:50 AM
I'd be inclined to do something such as a tattoo removal but I don't know if the Corps would want someone with a huge scar from collar bone to collar bone.

polizei
05-04-10, 10:56 AM
I would try a different recruiter, unless MEPS disqualified you. It seems to me that the recruiter said "no" without any official MEPS documentation, no? Especially because he told you to put on a V-neck t-shirt...we don't have V-neck uniforms besides Chucks, and you wear a white t-shirt under that....so, I'm failing to see why your recruiter would do that.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 10:57 AM
I would try a different recruiter, unless MEPS disqualified you. It seems to me that the recruiter said "no" without any official MEPS documentation, no?
He called up there and said no.
I wish MEPS would actually look at me. Hell, I'd drive up there on my own just for the doc-man to look at it.

polizei
05-04-10, 11:05 AM
Like I said, you can try another recruiter...but if MEPS said no then I'd say your chances are pretty slim. I would call and push for an appointment though so they can actually review it.

BR34
05-04-10, 11:22 AM
It's not MEPS job to disqualify him for a Marine Corps regulation. MEPS is there for all branches, so they don't focus on specific regs for each. The recruiters are the filter.

Vandrel
05-04-10, 11:30 AM
Does the tattoo show in pt gear?

The previous order stated "cannot be visible in PT gear" while the new order somewhat goes over the line and puts a limit on total tattoos for enlisted going officer.

My disclaimer, I have not read the new order, but it's always been "cannot be visible in green on green" ie: green skivvy, green shorts, pt gear

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 11:48 AM
The previous order stated "cannot be visible in PT gear" while the new order somewhat goes over the line and puts a limit on total tattoos for enlisted going officer.

My disclaimer, I have not read the new order, but it's always been "cannot be visible in green on green" ie: green skivvy, green shorts, pt gear
The only times my tattoos would ever be visible is when i'm either showering or have my shirt off.

I got them all on my chest so they wouldn't be seen on my arms..so much for that.

thezero
05-04-10, 11:53 AM
Have you read the most recent tattoo policy beforer trying? They may consider your collar bone a part of the neck which DQ's you. Nothing on the neck up, nothing on hands. Google the Marine Corps Tattoo Policy and read up on it, I know that it's based off of our short sleeve khaki shirt, but am unsure if it includes undershirt with it.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 11:59 AM
Have you read the most recent tattoo policy beforer trying? They may consider your collar bone a part of the neck which DQ's you. Nothing on the neck up, nothing on hands. Google the Marine Corps Tattoo Policy and read up on it, I know that it's based off of our short sleeve khaki shirt, but am unsure if it includes undershirt with it.
I've read up on the policy now and nothing really seemed to stick out to me that would actually DQ me. I guess I'll just have to talk to my recruiter and see what possibilities there are.

He was talking about sending pictures up to MEPS.

Beltayn
05-04-10, 04:11 PM
Keep trying. It's possible there was a misunderstanding of the new order somewhere. While that's an absolutely gigantic tattoo, it should be in regs as far as I can tell.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 04:13 PM
Keep trying. It's possible there was a misunderstanding of the new order somewhere. While that's an absolutely gigantic tattoo, it should be in regs as far as I can tell.
Thank You.

I'm not gonna quit on on this. I jumped through plenty of hoops to get everything set to where my recruiter could atleast write up my package and everything else so it be pointless to quit now.

thezero
05-04-10, 05:49 PM
I think that falls under part of the "neck" I had a Sgt. and Lt talk to us MAT Marines about tattoos, the "neck" is what falls under the short sleeve khaki and what would be visible with out the khaki shirt. It's a real strict yet not clear order. And the PT gear thing is just another story.

I heard that you can't go officer if you have more than 4 tattoos regardless of location, that includes warrent.

Old Marine
05-04-10, 07:39 PM
If anything, the Marine Corps needs to really get tough on the tatoo issue and re-write the orders concerning the tatoo policy. Any tatoo larger than a dollar bill should be reason for DQ. Does not matter where it is located.

thezero
05-04-10, 08:12 PM
Why's that Gunnery Sergeant?

Jarrhead66
05-04-10, 08:39 PM
Too bad for the tat. looks like an army tat...

Old Marine
05-04-10, 09:06 PM
Why's that Gunnery Sergeant?

There are two places that tatoos are OK.

One is Prison.

The other is the Carnival.

The Marine Corps is neither one.:evilgrin:

Gunner 0313
05-04-10, 09:18 PM
:flag:I always thought being a Marine and having tattoos went hand in hand. Just a bunch of pansy PC crap if you ask me.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 09:26 PM
Do waivers bypass the policy or is that a no?

Gunner 0313
05-04-10, 09:29 PM
:flag:If you really want to get in there's always a way. Never quit !

BR34
05-04-10, 09:29 PM
There are two places that tatoos are OK.

One is Prison.

The other is the Carnival.

The Marine Corps is neither one.:evilgrin:

There's hundreds of thousands-probably millions of Marines, former and current, who are tattooed, that flat out disagree with you. I don't think I've ever heard or read ANYONE say tattoos are not "OK" in the Marine Corps.

Gunner 0313
05-04-10, 09:31 PM
:flag:I would go as far as to say more Marines have tats than don't.

LOLORSKATES
05-04-10, 09:32 PM
:flag:If you really want to get in there's always a way. Never quit !
That's my plan sir.

I don't want to be in any branch but the Marine Corps. It kills me when my recruiter tells me he's had kids in the DEP pop for marijuana and all the other illegals but I get DQed for a tattoo.

I want Parris Island for those long 13 weeks.

Gunner 0313
05-04-10, 09:37 PM
:flag:My recruiter had sleeves. It shows the ridiculous climate that we live in today.

SlingerDun
05-04-10, 10:24 PM
The only times my tattoos would ever be visible is when i'm either showering or have my shirt offNot quite accurate; even the expensive "Beefy T" crew neck will stretch out and sag, turning into a "U-neck" soaked with sweat from physical efforts such as grappling, climbing ropes, obstacles, thrashing and drilling on a sun baked asphalt grinder etc...all that stuff stretches the neck of a T

Old Marine
05-05-10, 08:25 AM
There's hundreds of thousands-probably millions of Marines, former and current, who are tattooed, that flat out disagree with you. I don't think I've ever heard or read ANYONE say tattoos are not "OK" in the Marine Corps.

If they all jumped off a cliff and died, i suppose it would be OK if the rest of the sheep followed their example.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
05-05-10, 08:31 AM
:flag:I always thought being a Marine and having tattoos went hand in hand. Just a bunch of pansy PC crap if you ask me.

I was around long before the Marine Corps had regulations about tatoos and I for one think it is good that the Corps is trying to clean up the tatoo image. I can remember when guys had most of their bodies covered with nothing but crap that had nothing to to with the Marine Corps. Better that the Corps is trying to clean it up.:evilgrin:

BR34
05-05-10, 09:46 AM
I can remember when guys had most of their bodies covered with nothing but crap

Can you also remember when Marines were judged by their performance? Why am I even bothering? You've been out of the Marine Corps for nearly 40 years. Your opinion on what's best for Marines TODAY holds little value, just like if I went on a rant about how nasty Marines used to look in uniform a couple decades ago...it means absolutely nothing.

Vandrel
05-05-10, 10:34 AM
You've been out of the Marine Corps for nearly 40 years. Your opinion on what's best for Marines TODAY holds little value

Are you kidding? Because someone is not in the Marine Corps now their opinion is out of date and of little to no value?

Hell, I always valued the opinions of older vets regardless of the subject. No matter if you like it or not you'll be in their shoes one day.

A Cpl in 1960 was still a Cpl. The system and technology was different then obviously but still a Cpl no matter what. Leadership and professionalism was no different then.

Old Marine
05-05-10, 10:46 AM
Can you also remember when Marines were judged by their performance? Why am I even bothering? You've been out of the Marine Corps for nearly 40 years. Your opinion on what's best for Marines TODAY holds little value, just like if I went on a rant about how nasty Marines used to look in uniform a couple decades ago...it means absolutely nothing.

Much more so than today. Leadership traits have been with the Marine Corps for a long time. These traits didn't just begin in the last six months.

BR34
05-05-10, 10:53 AM
Are you kidding? Because someone is not in the Marine Corps now their opinion is out of date and of little to no value?

Hell, I always valued the opinions of older vets regardless of the subject. No matter if you like it or not you'll be in their shoes one day.

A Cpl in 1960 was still a Cpl. The system and technology was different then obviously but still a Cpl no matter what. Leadership and professionalism was no different then.

The system and technology aren't the only things that are different. The entire world is different. We're talking about a 37 year gap, not 3 years. Things that were okay then aren't okay now, and vice versa. After being out of the loop for 40 years my opinion on what's best for Marines currently serving will no longer matter, because I will not share anything with them other than a title.

Geagle05
05-05-10, 11:17 AM
The new policy doesn't allow any tattoo to be on the collar bone due to the v-neck uniform Marines wear.

I was suppose to going up to MEPS yesterday but we stopped at my recruiter's boss's office in Lexington and he took a look at my tattoo and immediately disqualified me.

However my question is whether not this tattoo could be waivered in the future so I may once get to enlist in the USMC

ssgt Morgan's boss tried directing me over to Army and the other branches but I'd much rather wait til the new policy lightens up (if that's actually possible.)

I read this entire thread, and saw the tat in your photo. I think you should keep trying as well--maybe with a different recruiter. I am not a recruiter, but I do know that many things you wouldn't think are waiverable are waiverable. I don't know the tatoo policy off the top of my head, but your tattoo seems to be within regs to me. I had another candidate in my platoon with tats covering up nearly his whole body. They also barely showed in PT gear. He was also one hell of a person, and I believe will make a great Marine officer. You seem to be a level headed person, and I hope you get your shot to earn the title. Best of luck.

R/s,

Geagles

polizei
05-05-10, 01:30 PM
I also agree with tattoo's...but I have yet to get one myself. A Marine without a tattoo just isn't a Marine! I watched a video from vets in WWII, and they claimed that tattoo's were the way Marines and Sailors showed their stories, of where they've been and what they've done. I've seen countless moto tattoo's, Marine Corps related tattoo's, and memorial tattoo's for fallen Marines. I don't think that's "crap" at all.

Just seems natural to me.

FattyTheFerret
05-05-10, 10:37 PM
holy cow that is some serious ink

Thing is right now the Marine Corps is overflowing and looking to downsize. As far as I know, recruiting numbers are very high and recruiters aren't sending up nearly as many waivers as they were just a couple years ago. Perhaps it would be waiverable but you have to understand that your recruiter probably has a line of applicants ten deep with zero issues.

Honestly, though, keep trying. I had some road blocks enlisting but I didn't give up. I was older than I wanted to be when I stepped on the yellow footprints but the additional wait was well worth it on graduation day. Don't give up.

LOLORSKATES
05-06-10, 01:30 AM
I'm not going to stop trying. I plan on going to PT as I use to even with me not being in the DEP.

Also I'm attending a competition of sorts this Saturday where poolees will have to perform to their fullest extent under the watchful eye of a DI.

If all else fails I could always have it removed.

Thank you all for the insightful comments and feedback.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-06-10, 02:31 AM
Good. Keep tryin.

And, "Old Marine", I must also respectfully disagree. Good grief, Ole Smed himself had a massive tat of an Eagle Globe and Anchor on his chest. I think we've gone waaaay too far on the tat. policy. (And I've only got 2 little ones, done in the PI, with a bamboo needle).

LOLORSKATES
05-10-10, 01:01 PM
An update on my current situation.

Ssgt Morgan called me informing me that his boss has a kid with a tattoo around the same spot as I do, but they're sending his waiver up. If he passes then they'll be sending mine up as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

FattyTheFerret
05-10-10, 01:31 PM
Good luck.

Lynn2
05-10-10, 02:08 PM
In the many years I have been reading MC forums it seems to me that the tat policy has gotten firmer and firmer. At least that is my take after all the many posts I have seen on this. And that is one heck of a tat.

What MOS were you going for?

If I was a youngen, wanted to serve, and maybe even get a taste of a two way firing range some day I'd also not be deterred by one recruiter.

But I'd also realize that the USMC may just not be in my future. Not with so many wanting to join that do not need a waver. And not with the Corps very restrictive tat policy.

If someone wanted the Corps but could not I would try what I might be able to get.

If it were me and I was 17 again and could not get FMF Doc, for sure I would pay a visit to the Army Recruiter, and talk to them about being a Ranger Medic.

If its about being a warrior I would hope there are a few options for you. If its about wearing one certain uniform you might be out of luck.

thewookie
05-10-10, 02:18 PM
No offense, but that is one UGLY tattoo. I like the eagle and all, but it's just,,,, well nevermind.

Good luck.

Go Army.

:usmc:

Bdchi1
05-10-10, 05:15 PM
No offense, but that is one UGLY tattoo. I like the eagle and all, but it's just,,,, well nevermind.

Good luck.

Go Army.

I'm not sure if it is the tattoo or the big bong he was smoking when he got the tattoo:bunny:

Just kidding LOLORSkates -- good luck for you and the other kid. I would love to hear your bootcamp stories about your DI ripping on you for the tat when you get home from boot. Hang in there. You'll get the nightmare you are wishing for.

LOLORSKATES
05-10-10, 11:11 PM
I appreciate the words of motivations Marines.

Lisa 23
05-10-10, 11:13 PM
I appreciate the words of motivation guys.

Marines, not guys. :evilgrin:

LOLORSKATES
06-29-10, 12:56 PM
An update to this old thread (Sorry about reviving this topic) - The other recruit's waiver was passed through and now it's my turn to see if my waiver will be passed or declined.

It kills me that my peers are perfectly able bodies for military service but they don't have any regard for such an occupation while I've had to push waivers for my ear & now this tattoo.

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
06-29-10, 07:56 PM
This man had what he thought was the best tattoo in the world....on his back.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/stumpjumper2009/1277858024.jpg

Until he went to prison.

LOLORSKATES
07-17-10, 02:57 PM
- Last update.

I will not be joining the USMC as my waiver was declined. I am however intending on switching branches from the Navy after my stint with playing to a different tune. I'm shooting for fmf corpsman just to get a feel for how Marines work out in the field & it's the closest thing to Marine Corps.

FattyTheFerret
07-17-10, 03:02 PM
Good luck.

Wyoming
07-17-10, 03:05 PM
Aaaawwwww!

Old Marine
07-17-10, 05:32 PM
Has anyone ever thought that somewhere during many years that asombody with a lot of horse power instilled these tatoo regulations that the Marine Corps has today. Who ever it was he must have realized that the Marine Corps was not a carnival and his men did not need to be part of a freak show.

When I was active duty I do not remember any policy on tatoos and saw many Marines with the majority of their bodies tatooed. I figured that it was their bodies and if they wanted to mark it up, it was fine with me.

The poolees who read this thread had better heed to all regulations regarding tatoos or you will not get into the Corps. A tatoo will not make you into an instant warrior, nor will it make you a wimp. For crying out loud, you poolees are not even Marines yet and all ready you are not complying with orders. You are not at home where you can ask why something is the was it is. It is the way it is because because the Marine Corps said so. End of story.

Beltayn
07-18-10, 06:29 AM
With respect to our current regulations, wasn't it Smedley Butler himself that had a gigantic Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoo covering his entire chest?

Old Marine
07-18-10, 09:13 AM
With respect to our current regulations, wasn't it Smedley Butler himself that had a gigantic Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoo covering his entire chest?

So, if Smedley jumped off a cliff, I guess it would be ok for every Marine to do it.:evilgrin:

echo3oscar1833
07-18-10, 09:23 AM
So, if Smedley jumped off a cliff, I guess it would be ok for every Marine to do it.:evilgrin:

If he had a good reason, and the fact that he has two Medal of Honors, yeah I would follow that Marine any where Gunny!!:D:D

Wyoming
07-18-10, 01:50 PM

Current regulations has WHAT to do with Smedley Butler?

Vandrel
07-18-10, 03:31 PM
This man had what he thought was the best tattoo in the world....on his back.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/stumpjumper2009/1277858024.jpg

Until he went to prison.

lmao

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-10, 06:22 PM
And, General Butler got that AFTER he was in....and wouldn't it, being on the chest, be allowed anyway?

It's a good question to be sure, but as someone said, it's sort of an excercise in 'What if'?

Good luck to ya kid, really, wish you the best.

Closed.