PDA

View Full Version : new army award for "courageous restraint"

ajmidget
05-04-10, 09:04 AM
i saw this article on yahoo, and i wanted to know what you guys thought of it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_re_as/as_afghan_courageous_restraint;_ylt=Auu95UnTB3IxZe qbsRNK9yqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTQyYjVuNzBwBGFzc2V0A2FwLz IwMTAwNTA0L2FzX2FmZ2h

New NATO idea to avoid killing innocent Afghans

By SEBASTIAN ABBOT, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 4, 4:15 am ET

FORWARD OPERATING BASE RAMROD, Afghanistan – NATO commanders are weighing a new way to reduce civilian casualties in Afghanistan: recognizing soldiers for "courageous restraint" if they avoid using force that could endanger innocent lives.
The concept comes as the coalition continues to struggle with the problem of civilian casualties despite repeated warnings from the top NATO commander, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, that the war effort hinges on the ability to protect the population and win support away from the Taliban.
Those who back the idea hope it will provide soldiers with another incentive to think twice before calling in an airstrike or firing at an approaching vehicle if civilians could be at risk.
Most military awards in the past have been given for things like soldiers taking out a machine gun nest or saving their buddies in a firefight, said Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall, the senior NATO enlisted man in Afghanistan.
"We are now considering how we look at awards differently," he said.
British Maj. Gen. Nick Carter, the NATO commander of troops in southern Afghanistan, proposed the idea of awarding soldiers for "courageous restraint" during a visit by Hall to Kandahar Airfield in mid April. McChrystal is now reviewing the proposal to determine how it could be implemented, Hall said.
Hall's visit came less than a week after U.S. troops fired on a civilian bus near Kandahar City, killing four people and wounding more than a dozen. Hundreds of Afghans protested the attack, chanting "Death to America," and President Hamid Karzai accused NATO of violating its commitment to safeguard civilians.
McChrystal issued strict guidelines last year limiting the use of force in an effort to reduce civilian casualties and curb public anger. The percentage of civilian deaths attributed to NATO and Afghan forces fell as a result, according to the United Nations.
But even sporadic incidents can damage the coalition's efforts, and the problem could get worse as thousands of additional NATO troops pour into the country ahead of this summer's planned offensive in the Taliban's spiritual heartland of Kandahar province.
There were 173 civilian deaths in Afghanistan from March 21 to April 21, a 33 percent increase over the same period last year, according to the Interior Ministry. The ministry did not provide a breakdown of who was responsible for the fatalities, but the Taliban often blame coalition forces regardless of the cause.
The idea of using awards as another way to encourage soldiers to avoid civilian casualties came from a team that advises NATO on counterinsurgency, or COIN, doctrine, said an official with knowledge of the process. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the proposal is still under review.
"We routinely and systematically recognize valor, courage and effectiveness during kinetic combat operations," said a statement recently posted on the NATO coalition's website by the group, the Counterinsurgency Advisory and Assistance Team.
"In a COIN campaign, however, it is critical to also recognize that sometimes the most effective bullet is the bullet not fired," it said.
It highlighted an incident in Helmand province in January in which rumors that coalition forces had burned a Quran incited an angry mob to throw rocks and bricks at U.S. Marines and Afghan soldiers. The Marines had the right to fire in self-defense, but none did, it said.
Six people were reportedly killed during the protest, but the shooting is believed to have come from Afghan security forces.
"There should be an opportunity to recognize and celebrate the troops who exhibit extraordinary courage and self-control by not using their weapons, but instead taking personal risk to de-escalate tense and potentially disastrous situations," the statement said.
At least 2,412 Afghan civilians were killed in fighting last year, an increase of 14 percent from 2008, according to the United Nations. About two-thirds died as a result of actions initiated by the insurgents, including ambushes, assassinations and roadside bombs.
NATO commanders are not planning to create a new medal or military decoration for "courageous restraint," but instead are looking at ways of using existing awards to recognize soldiers who go to great lengths to avoid civilian casualties, Hall said.
But some U.S. Army soldiers here at Forward Operating Base Ramrod in Kandahar province are skeptical that the chance of winning an award is going to change the way troops make decisions on the battlefield.
"Not a single one of these guys does it for the medals," said Capt. Edward Graham, referring to the soldiers in his company.
Graham, whose company is part of the 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, said soldiers are constantly forced to weigh the duty they have to protect their colleagues against the goal of avoiding civilian casualties.
"The bottom line is I have to find a way to go to sleep at night," said Graham. "If I hurt women and children, I'm not going to sleep. If I lose my men, I'm not going to sleep. I have to find a balance."

thewookie
05-04-10, 09:07 AM
Hey ajmidget -- why don't you tell us first? What do you think?

Wait, this area is for Marines only. And, I think you are a troll.

FoxtrotOscar
05-04-10, 09:22 AM
Would I qualify for a "Courageous Restraint" ribbon for not beating the fark out of some people...???

hussaf
05-04-10, 09:25 AM
I think that it doesn't even matter what CF does as foreign forces will be blamed for civilian deaths whether they did them or not. In a country with such a high level of illiteracy, combined with a healthy mistrust of foreigners, it doesn't take much for a national to believe a fellow Pashtun or Tajik a completely untrue story about US forces burning Qu'rans or killing civilians. Many rural folk will even deify Arabic speakers because that is the language of the Qu'ran (which most Afghanis can't read anything, let alone Arabic...they just mimic verses from the Qu'ran like European peasants used to do with Latin in the Bible)...so when an Arabic speaker comes around (say, from AQ) locals will automatically assume they are religious and kiss their hand or something like that. There are places in Afghanistan that don't know CF is present in the country. US forces were shot at and killed b/c locals thought they were Russian invaders. So its not hard to understand that locals will believe what they are told by pretty much anyone other than CF. I don't see how offering a restraint ribbon will help as its almost too late to matter anyway. But if it helps reduce civilian casualties, I'm for it. I thinks its a bit more complicated than that...but I hope it works.

hrscowboy
05-04-10, 10:07 AM
I say its all bullcrap, War is War if this was in your country would you stick around to get your arse killed i dont think so. buttom line no rules of engagement should apply in any war zone that american troops are involved in.. people need to understand if your not part of the problem then they need to get the hello out of the way.. kill all them damn rag heads for my money..

ajmidget
05-04-10, 10:58 AM
Hey ajmidget -- why don't you tell us first? What do you think?

Wait, this area is for Marines only. And, I think you are a troll.

sorry, i didn't know this was marines only. how do i delete it?
also, i'm not a troll, just curious about what you all thought of it. not trying to cause problems, if someone will tell me how to delete it i'll gladly do so.
as for what i think, i'm not sure, seems like they are almost trying to bribe the soldiers in a way. just wanted to hear some other opinions is all.

Quinbo
05-04-10, 11:05 AM
Hell yea ... give the Army another ribbon. Lord knows they don't have enough already. WTF is up with the military service ribbon? Seriously? You're in the military and have a uniform on. Do you really need a ribbon that says you did military service?

ggyoung
05-04-10, 11:45 AM
That do be the army for ya. Lets hope the Marine Corps do not do the same. I felt the same way when the Corps came out with the CAR. It was a feel good ribbon. I still feel that way.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-10, 12:06 PM
Almost sounds like a NATO medal, which basically aren't worth the cloth they are printed on, anyway.

Next thing you know, they'll be giving the army medals for going to NCO school, completing boot camp, cords and ropes for different sections, 'leader' designators if you are an NCO....and allowing them to wear all the medals earned by their unit in WWII...

Oh, wait...they DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS ALREADY.

"War means fightin, and fightin means killin"

Nathan Bedford Forrest.

There is nothing more useless these days than NATO and the UN. They are white rabbits with pink eyes, hoping that the wolf doesn't take THEM 'this time'.

doc h fmf
05-04-10, 12:21 PM
Courageous Restraint Award??? Havent These Morons Remembered What Happened To Our Brothers In Beirut, Because Of The Rules Of Engament?
Godbless Our Beirut Vets And May Our 270 Heros Rest In Peace.
Semper Fi My Brothers.

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Sgt Leprechaun
05-04-10, 12:39 PM
No, Doc, they don't and just don't care.

FistFu68
05-04-10, 12:57 PM
:usmc: We are MARINES we kill what we are aiming at :usmc: :iwo:

Riven37
05-04-10, 02:55 PM
God, I can't wait until this Administration is out of power and out of my White house he's making the Army pussy whip fighters.

HST
05-04-10, 06:13 PM
Does not responding sarcasitcly to the same old worn out "Obama did it" found in the previous post constitute courageous restraint?

Eric Hood
05-04-10, 06:21 PM
This is a joke, right? Whatever happened to "keep attacking" as Gen. Lejeune said after WWI? Hans Blix, where are you?:sick: