PDA

View Full Version : Hello

seiko
05-04-10, 02:53 AM
First off I want to say that I am 24 years old and really thinking about a enlisting into the Marines. I am in a unhealthy life style right now and I am not happy with it. I want to do something worth while with my life and serve my county. I am Out of shape. I will loose some weight before I meet up with the recruiter, and so Boot Camp wont be hell and I end up Quitting. I Graduated High school in 2004, I have very bad grades in high school but enough to get my Ged. When i was in High school I did ask the recruiter when he came to my school if I can enlist and i couldn't because i take pills for Adhd. Resently I stop taking my pills and I am in control of my life and my ADHD without medicine.

I googled "Can I enlist into the marines at 24 years old" and i found a topic about this other guy that was also 24 years old but had Glasses and didn't know if he could enlist. So i know it's possible that i can enlist at age 24. I would like your Advise and Wisdom before meeting the Recruiter.

Greg

(Sorry for the misspelling and grammer sentences)

Barr
05-04-10, 03:05 AM
Based on what I know the answer is predominantly "no". You will definitely need to have a psych exam, and you can have taken any adhd pills in the last year.

Next, the Marine Corps is looking for reasons to get rid of people, not recruit them. They don't want to have someone out of shape enlist. Get in shape, big time.

Finally, the big thing that will not let you enlist. You need a high school diploma to get in, OR a GED and at least 15 college credits.

tdrt
05-04-10, 07:35 AM
Agree with Barr.

1) You must have 15 college credits in addition to your GED.
2) While you getting those credits, get your ass in shape.

Good job getting off the meds and taking control of your life! You don't need them. They're just a crutch.

You have time to do this!

JWDevilDog
05-04-10, 09:06 AM
The age cap for enlistment is 28 years old. Sometimes this is waiverable, but usually only for prior service or individuals who are already in great physical shape.

Lisa 23
05-04-10, 10:06 AM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
Mental Health Conditions

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s) (315) is disqualifying, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months.

Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects (315) secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, are disqualifying. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/ or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

Current or history of disorders with psychotic features such as schizophrenia (295), paranoid disorder (297), and other unspecified psychosis (298) is disqualifying.

Mood Disorders

Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2–3), bipolar (296.4–7), affective psychoses (296.8–9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), are disqualifying.

History of mood disorders requiring outpatient care for longer than 6 months by a physician or other mental health professional (V65.40), or inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is disqualifying.

History of symptoms consistent with a mood disorder of a repeated nature that impairs school, social, or work efficiency is disqualifying.
Current or history of adjustment disorders (309) within the previous 3 months is disqualifying.

Behavioral Disorders

Current or history of conduct (312), or behavior (313) disorders is disqualifying. Recurrent encounters with law enforcement agencies, antisocial attitudes or behaviors are tangible evidence of impaired capacity to adapt to military service and as such are disqualifying.

Current or history of personality disorder (301) is disqualifying. History (demonstrated by repeated inability to maintain reasonable adjustment in school, with employers or fellow workers, or other social groups), interview, or psychological testing revealing that the degree of immaturity, instability, personality inadequacy, impulsiveness, or dependency will likely interfere with adjustment in the Armed Forces is disqualifying.

Current or history of other behavior disorders is disqualifying, including, but not limited to conditions such as the following:

(1) Enuresis (307.6) or encopresis (307.7) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.
(2) Sleepwalking (307.4) after 13th birthday is disqualifying.
(3) Eating disorders (307.5), anorexia nervosa (307.1), bulimia (307.51), or unspecified disorders of eating (307.59) lasting longer than 3 months and occurring after 13th birthday are disqualifying.
Any current receptive or expressive language disorder, including, but not limited to any speech impediment, stammering and stuttering (307.0) of such a degree as to significantly interfere with production of speech or to repeat commands, is disqualifying.

History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt (s) (300.9) , or history of self-mutilation, is disqualifying.

Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic stress disorder (309.81) are disqualifying.

Current or history of dissociative disorders, including, but not limited to hysteria (300.1), depersonalization (300.6), and other (300.8), are disqualifying.

Current or history of somatoform disorders, including, but not limited to hypochondriasis (300.7) or chronic pain disorder, are disqualifying.

Current or history of psychosexual conditions (302), including, but not limited to transsexualism, exhibitionism, transvestism, voyeurism, and other paraphilias, are disqualifying.

Current or history of alcohol dependence (303), drug dependence (304), alcohol abuse (305), or other drug abuse (305.2 thru 305.9) is disqualifying.

Current or history of other mental disorders (all 290–319 not listed above) that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/neurotic.htm

Lisa 23
05-04-10, 10:11 AM
Marine Corps
ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.

Education - As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered. As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blusmcadvancedrank.htm) for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the Army).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/asvabminimum.htm

US Military Enlistment Standards
Education
For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I
Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

Tier II
Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.

In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs.htm)).

The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.

The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm