PDA

View Full Version : ROTC to get around Permanent Disqualification?

Jonathan Goss
05-04-10, 01:50 AM
I covered the origin of this in a previous thread, so I'll just recap:

When I was 2 yrs old I had surgery on my large intestine called a Duhamel Pullthrough that is classified as a "colon resection" and is therefore a permanent DQ. My recruiter (SSG Sparks, I think, here in Brentwood/Franklin TN), said back in November that I couldn't enlist; no waiver, nothing I could do, etc., despite me being able to accomplish ALL the PT goals--I even finished a 3 mile run in under 25 minutes before going in for my meeting that day just to make sure I was up to snuff.

Anyway, my prospect for recruitment seemed dead because of a surgery I had 25 years ago despite my good physical condition and zero medical issues (I'm not in great shape but I'm in good shape; aside from needing contacts/glasses, there's nothing wrong with me).

However, someone recommended a way around this and I wanted your opinions on it (especially recruiters or those associated with MEPS): Could I go into ROTC at a college and THEN join the Marines with a commission? If I was able to hack it through ROTC, wouldn't that at least count to my credit enough with the recruiter to get me to the MEPS stage? Last time I was at the recruiter they simply called MEPS and then called me back with the news.

I wanted to enlist but if going through ROTC is the only way I can get in, I'll do it.

Thanks for your time,
J

polizei
05-04-10, 10:53 AM
I've never heard of that...but I'm pretty sure officer selection is even more difficult than enlisted, so you're probably out of luck. If they won't take you for enlisted, why would they let you be an officer? Try calling an officer recruiter.

Lisa 23
05-04-10, 10:59 AM
And wouldn't you think "permanent disqualification" means just that.....permanent.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-06-10, 02:33 AM
Yup. There are no 'side doors'. It is what it is.