PDA

View Full Version : Woman Mechanic

Jes88
05-03-10, 04:13 PM
I'm about an inch away from signing papers. I'm a woman, and I was just curious about the Motor T- occupations and the level of difficulty. I grew up with mechanics, but being the girl I was never taught anything. I know basics but thats about it. I'm curious if woman are excepted well in the field (not that I care that much, I have no problem proving myself). I guess I just want to if its a good field to go into. My goal in life is to rebuild an old muscle car, so I figure this would help teach me.. But is it looked down upon being so green in the field? Is it hard to learn from almost nothing? I learn fast too by the way.

tdrt
05-03-10, 04:15 PM
Fill out your profile, please.

Old Marine
05-03-10, 04:32 PM
If you know the difference between a Phillips Screwdriver and a Regular Screwdriver you should be good to go.

Wyoming
05-03-10, 04:49 PM
If you know the difference between a Phillips Screwdriver and a Regular Screwdriver you should be good to go.

Well, I'm screwed!!

:banana::yes::no:

Jes88
05-03-10, 05:29 PM
Then I should be just fine, I know basic tools and functions. Just never actually worked on anything.

Lisa 23
05-03-10, 05:49 PM
I'm curious if woman are excepted well in the field (not that I care that much, I have no problem proving myself).

How well you are excepted in the field all depends on YOU.

Rocky C
05-03-10, 05:50 PM
How well you are excepted in the field all depends on YOU.
:thumbup::flag:

Phantom Blooper
05-03-10, 06:06 PM
If you can't fix it with a hammer on them old deuce1/2's.....then it's electrical.:evilgrin:

tdrt
05-03-10, 06:51 PM
Duct tape fixes everything!

BR34
05-03-10, 06:59 PM
Everyone knows women can't fix anything.

tdrt
05-03-10, 07:02 PM
Everyone knows women can't fix anything.

Oh is that right? -- bet I can fix you real good :yes:

Wyoming
05-03-10, 07:06 PM
Oh is that right? -- bet I can fix you real good :yes:

Ooooh, do me, do me!!

... and bring some of those research chemicals along to play with.:yes:

tdrt
05-03-10, 08:21 PM
Ooooh, do me, do me!!

... and bring some of those research chemicals along to play with.:yes:

What do you want me to bring? I got some sh!t that will melt your face off. Or I do have some chicken or beef reaction flavors.....edible....

Marine84
05-03-10, 08:34 PM
As long as you can remember lefty, loosey - righty, tighty

Dragonscript
05-04-10, 08:30 AM
But is it looked down upon being so green in the field? Is it hard to learn from almost nothing? I learn fast too by the way.

This is all info from a former HE mech so you can take it as you want.

First, as long as you can do your job then it won't matter if you're male or female.

Second, MOS school will get you prepared for your unit, don't worry about having prior knowledge. The MOS school is to get you to a point where you don't hurt yourself, or someone else, and understand the basic concepts. It is your unit's responsibility to train you to where you need to be. This applies to everybody and almost everybody goes through this. PFSs aren't expected to know **** so that is why there are Corporals and Sergeants, to train and mentor you in how to do your job and be a Marine.

Third, you'll be the FNG when you get to your unit but as long as you work hard and show some initiative then you'll do fine. Every unit is different and every time you transfer to a new unit you'll be the FNG, even if you're an officer or SNCO. Don't worry about it, you'll get up to speed on what is required of you.

Jes88
05-04-10, 10:24 AM
This is all info from a former HE mech so you can take it as you want.

First, as long as you can do your job then it won't matter if you're male or female.

Second, MOS school will get you prepared for your unit, don't worry about having prior knowledge. The MOS school is to get you to a point where you don't hurt yourself, or someone else, and understand the basic concepts. It is your unit's responsibility to train you to where you need to be. This applies to everybody and almost everybody goes through this. PFSs aren't expected to know **** so that is why there are Corporals and Sergeants, to train and mentor you in how to do your job and be a Marine.

Third, you'll be the FNG when you get to your unit but as long as you work hard and show some initiative then you'll do fine. Every unit is different and every time you transfer to a new unit you'll be the FNG, even if you're an officer or SNCO. Don't worry about it, you'll get up to speed on what is required of you.

Thank you! That is probably the most helpful thing I could hear.

Quinbo
05-04-10, 10:53 AM
I watched a WM pick up a super single and toss it into the back of a six by. I'm not even kidding. On libbo she wore a cowboy hat and chewed copenhagan. Played a banjo and usually had a toothpick in her mouth.

I'll bet bigAl would do her.

She fit right in with the rest of the wrench turners and if anyone messed with her it was with her permission. She wore a size 10 boot and could punt you over the moon.

Zulu 36
05-04-10, 01:40 PM
If you can't fix it with a hammer on them old deuce1/2's.....then it's electrical.:evilgrin:
And that's the truth!

Roger Shepherd
05-05-10, 12:33 AM
I was in the Marines in 78-82. I was a mechanic and they was women mechanic in our shop. Motor-T was be side of us. They was women mechanics there to. Some of them was better then men mechanics. So you can sure do it if thats what you want to do. You will learn as you go.

Jes88
05-15-10, 12:56 AM
I want to do Motor T, but my recruiter keeps trying to get me to lean towards Aviation Mech. I'm not sure which one to lean towards. I was told Aviation would be better money, only I'm not joining the Marines for money. I want to learn a new technical trade that will benefit me in my day to day life. Is it close minded for me to think Motor T would help me learn that more than Aviation? Is there any difference other than the obvious what you're working on?

Zulu 36
05-15-10, 08:46 AM
I want to do Motor T, but my recruiter keeps trying to get me to lean towards Aviation Mech. I'm not sure which one to lean towards. I was told Aviation would be better money, only I'm not joining the Marines for money. I want to learn a new technical trade that will benefit me in my day to day life. Is it close minded for me to think Motor T would help me learn that more than Aviation? Is there any difference other than the obvious what you're working on?

Aviation mech will pay you more as a civilian. But being a truck mech isn't going to hurt you either. Follow your heart.

Cpl Lewis
05-16-10, 12:32 AM
Then I should be just fine, I know basic tools and functions. Just never actually worked on anything.

Motor T Mechs work only on Hmmwv's 7-tons, and sometimes LVS
no cars or anything like that, but if you have a car, every base has an auto hobby shop where you do all you car work at....hope it helped

Roger Shepherd
05-17-10, 12:33 AM
You will be the one that will have to be happy. So what will make you happy that is what I would go for. Good Luck.