PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Bonuses

BigWayne3000
05-03-10, 06:59 AM
Whats up Marines. I'm in the reserves currently and in June 2012 my obligation to drill is over and I drop to the IRR. I am contemplating whether or not to reenlist right away or not. I was trying to find any information on what bonuses are available to reenlist. I found this thru a google search:

http://www.usmc.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0378-09.aspx

Are these bonuses only for active duty Marines or do these bonuses apply across the board? I realize things can change in the course of the next 2 years but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what is available to those wanting to reenlist. Also, how hard is it to do a lat move in reenlisting? I'm currently an 0621 radio operator. If given the chance I would love to do a lat move but how difficult is this? Any help any of you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

hussaf
05-03-10, 07:35 AM
Well don't worry about reenlistment until its 2012. Bonuses are MOS-dependent which is filtered through Marine Corps needs and retention levels. Reserve bonuses are pretty minuscule compared to active duty counterparts. I reenlisted for a full-reserve bonus and got something like $15,000 (tax free). From what I understand that was around the highest reenlistment bonus for reserves at that time but is no longer being offered to my MOS. So it fluctuates. Better would be to continue as a no-obligatory reservist and just drill without signing a new contract. If you sign a contract and get a bonus you owe the Marine Corps that money if you get out early....and more than likely your Bn will not let you IUT and/or lat-move.

Doing a lat-move isn't something people do 'just because.' You need a serious reason for it, a specific MOS in mind, and it has to fit the needs of the Marine Corps. I doubt your Bn will let you lat-move just because you want to try something new, or b/c you don't like being an RO (unless they want to get rid of you..in which case they'd prob send you to some off the wall billet).

I suppose I applaud your desire to look ahead, but these things change so much it won't do you much good until the time gets closer...that and you need to be a bit more specific as to what, and why, you want to do these things.

BigWayne3000
05-03-10, 07:41 AM
What do you mean get out early? Aren't you obligated by the new contract? How could you get out early? I';m not arguing with your assesment that the BN wouldnt let me do a lat move but I would htink if it came down to loosing a Marine or letting me do a lat move to a different MOS they should in theory want to keep me and thus allow me to do the lat move. Like you said I got awhile yet, I just wanted to see what was out there. Thank you for your help.

benw2200
05-03-10, 07:27 PM
Fellow reserve '21, just saying hey. USMC(R) for life... haha. err.

hussaf
05-04-10, 08:33 AM
My point was that reenlisting, and accepting a bonus, means you likely won't have any options...that battalion will likely want to hold on to you. If you are getting a bonus you are in a critical MOS anyway (most likely) and they definitely won't let you lat-move or IUT. If you finish your contract and go non-ob you can pretty much do what you want. If your contract is up, your unit really can't stop you....you just have to find someone willing to push the paperwork. Probably someone in your unit, and/or a PSR/CRS.

In summary; if you take a bonus your hands are tied. This is from personal experience, and I was actually warned by one of my friends not to take a bonus. In my case I wanted to transfer to the IMA and take an attractive billet at an IMA Det., but my Bn. wouldn't go along with it.

Garyius
05-04-10, 08:14 PM
Guard bonuses are going as high as 25k.

Rhowen
05-04-10, 11:27 PM
Whats up Marines. I'm in the reserves currently and in June 2012 my obligation to drill is over and I drop to the IRR. I am contemplating whether or not to reenlist right away or not. I was trying to find any information on what bonuses are available to reenlist. I found this thru a google search:

http://www.usmc.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0378-09.aspx

Are these bonuses only for active duty Marines or do these bonuses apply across the board? I realize things can change in the course of the next 2 years but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what is available to those wanting to reenlist. Also, how hard is it to do a lat move in reenlisting? I'm currently an 0621 radio operator. If given the chance I would love to do a lat move but how difficult is this? Any help any of you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am fairly certain that this maradmin is the only one that talks about fy 2010 bonuses for the reserve

http://www.usmc.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN010-10.aspx

I am coming off active duty and want to do my time in the reserves and did a fair amount of research on what opportunities are out there in the reserves. The way it was explained to me if you take this bonus then you have a obligation to the corps which is obvious. I was told that in the reserves its fairly easy to do a lat move and they will also work with your schedule i.e. if you cant go to the school right away you can delay up to a year from when your new contract starts. I would agree though with the person that posted prior to me though and that the marine corps most likely will want you to fill some kind of billet with the job you lat move into and if they dont have any openings well they probably wont let you lat move. Good luck if you have any other questions let me know or message me on here.

hussaf
05-05-10, 08:13 AM
oh yeah, you can get out of the reenlistment but you have to pay back whatever is left of the bonus. The bonus is received in a lump sum these days but is technically supposed to be divvied out over an even period. Not sure what this period is, but if you need to pay it back...that's what you pay back...instead of the whole thing. Unless you reenlist then change your mind the next day I guess.