PDA

View Full Version : Robert Quinn- Mutineer

Osotogary
05-02-10, 07:44 PM
Bad times for Robert Quinn. He wrote a note, which he signed "UNHAPPY SLAVES", and had it delivered anonymously to Commodore Barron aboard the flgship President in 1804. While the U.S.Navy prided itself on being more humane, more fair than the British Royal Navy, Quinn disagreed. He wrote:

The horrid usage that has been on this ship of late by the principal officers is enough to turn every mans heart to weakness, we are kept on deck from 3 o'clock in the morning till 8 at night (seventten hours. There is noregulations in any one thing, we have been on deck several days without one bit of victuals, and durst not look for it, we cannot wash a single article for fear of being cut in two. You expect everything done at a word, there is no allowance for our friging (moving about) day and night, but the time will come, when you will drive all thoughts of fear out of our minds. Tyranny is the beginning of mischief...any Commander or Captain that had the least feeling or thought, would not suffer this horrid usage, it is almost impossible for us to live. The President is arrived to such a pitch as to exceed the Hermoine ( bloody mutiny in 1797), some of our friends in America and other parts shall know of this shortly and in time we hope to get redress. Death is always superior to slavery.

What did Robert Quinn get for his thoughts? On June 23 his sentence was passed. "...to have have his head and eyebrows shaved, branded in the forehead with the word MUTINUS- to receive three hundred and twenty lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails and then he was sent to the gallows."

Seems like a good time to see how Bulkyker is doing. LOL

Zulu 36
05-02-10, 09:24 PM
Things were just a little bit stricter in those days. :scared:

Garyius
05-03-10, 09:01 AM
Strange, I recall something in the Constitution...

right to petition officers of the United States for redress of grievence?

yellowwing
05-03-10, 09:22 AM
"...and then he was sent to the gallows." - Harsh. This lifetime around, I think Brother Bob is better prepared!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=33796&dateline=1267592985&type=profile

Zulu 36
05-03-10, 09:52 AM
Strange, I recall something in the Constitution...

right to petition officers of the United States for redress of grievence?

He did, and his grievance was denied - with extreme prejudice.

Quinbo
05-03-10, 10:27 AM
We had a couple pogues volunteer to be hostages. All live ... live rounds and live people. There were animated maniquens to be the bad guys. Our cave dwelling pogues wanted to have a free trip to Guam for a few hours of being the hostage.

We set it up ... duct taped a couple guys in chairs and put blue fake anti tank mines in their lap. Told them this is an inert bomb. Don't move. Bullet proof vest ... safety goggles, ear plugs, sand bags. We made entry at night and entered with a flashbang. Our hostage thought the bomb in his lap went off when he heard the flashbang. Bunch of storm troopers running around shooting maniquens. Grabbed him and put him in hand cuffs and shouted all clear.

He was so scared he **** his pants and started crying. I think he lives in a quarter million dollar house now from his PTSD.

jinelson
05-03-10, 12:00 PM
I never really had much faith in Request Mast LMFAO!

Jim