PDA

View Full Version : Navy Corpsman

thedrifter
09-09-03, 10:00 AM
Navy Corpsman

Let us not forget that there was in fact a Corpsman with the Marines as they raised the flag on Mt. Suribachi. Hospital Corpsman John Bradley was there and was one of the three survivors from the raising to leave Iwo Jima. John Bradley died January 11, 1994 at the age of 70.

I feel compelled to pay respect to those who serve with and treat those Marines in their time of suffering. For those of you that don't understand the love hate relationship with the Navy, I can only say that at no time and in no place will you need to worry about the medical care received by Marines. There are only three kinds of doctors -- corpsmen, Corpsman, and CORPSMAN.

One might ask for a definition of a Corpsman and while I was setting this page up I ran across a mighty fine site called what else "Navy Corpsmen", where I found what can only be described as the best definition of a Corpsman anywhere. It reads as follows:

CORPSMAN - Usually a young, long haired, bearded, Marine-hatin' Sailor with certain medical skills, who will go through the very gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine.

It may surprise some but the Navy Corpsman has a long proud tradition of serving with the United States Marine Corps. They have fought with us, fought along side of us, and sadly have made the ultimate sacrifice for us. Their Medal of Honor citations read like they were Marines... and by God I will honor them like the Marines they so proudly served!

Corpsman
In August of 1942, the first major USMC assault landings against the Japanese Empire occurred in the Solomon Islands, Pacific. The island chosen for the invasion was Guadalcanal.

As they moved inland, four Marines were walking point into the jungle. Advancing into an open area without cover, they came under heavy fire from the entrenched Japanese. All four Marines were wounded but managed to crawl into a shell crater, about fifty yards from where they had emerged from the jungle.

A Hospital Corpsman ran from cover into the crater with the wounded Marines, and ran back to cover, under fire. Having dressed the wounds of the Marine, he sprinted back for another, only this time he was hit. Not stopping to dress his own wounds, he carried the second Marine to cover receiving a second wound. After giving aid to the Marine, the Corpsman was hit for a third time going into the crater. Staggering toward the treeline with the third Marine, he was again struck by enemy fire.

When the third Marine's wounds were dressed, the Corpsman started after the last Marine in the crater. The Corpsman still had not stopped to care for his own wounds. In a final valiant effort, he stumbled toward the crater, where he was brought down by concentrated enemy machine gun fire. He lunged forward into the crater falling across the fourth Marine, finally giving up his life.

Reaching up to his own bleeding wounds, the Marine wrote on the back of the Corpsman's bullet riddled shirt,

"WHERE ANGELS AND MARINES FEAR TO TREAD, THERE YOU'LL FIND A CORPSMAN DEAD."

This was that dying Marine's final tribute to his shipmate's supreme sacrifice in fulfilling his oath, "TO AID THE WOUNDED, IN THEIR MOMENT OF NEED."

A Corpsman's Prayer
Grant me, oh Lord, for the coming events;
Enough knowledge to cope and some plain common sense.
Be at our side on those nightly patrols;
And be merciful judging our vulnerable souls.
Make my hands steady and as sure as a rock;
when the others go down with a wound or in shock.
Let me be close, when they bleed in the mud;
With a tourniquet handy to save precious blood.
Here in the jungle, the enemy near;
Even the corpsman can't offer much lightness and cheer.
Just help me, oh Lord, to save lives when I can;
Because even out there is merit in man.
If It's Your will, make casualties light;
And don't let any die in the murderous night.
These are my friends I'm trying to save;
They are frightened at times, but You know they are brave.
Let me not fail when they need so much;
But to help me serve with a compassionate touch.
Lord, I'm no hero -- my job is to heal;
And I want You to know Just how helpless I feel.
Bring us back safely to camp with dawn;
For too many of us are already gone.
Lord bless my friends If that's part of your plan;
And go with us tonight, when we go out again.

Author Unknown

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Super Dave
09-09-03, 10:27 AM
God bless the Devil Docs!!

NavyResCorpsman
09-09-03, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone. I found this on a web site a few months ago. I find it very motivating. Thought I would share it with all of you. Hope you all like it. I do not remember what web site I seen it on nor do I know who wrote it. What do you think?

I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go, and I did what others failed to do. I asked nothing from those that gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the fact of eternal loneliness should I fail. I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love. I have cried, pained, and hoped... but most of all I have lived times others were to say are "Best Forgotten". At least someday I will be able to say I was proud of what I was.... A United States Fleet Marine Force Combat Corpsman. I am a suave and debonair global soldier of the seas. I am a bald headed, beady eyed, amphibious monster. I am a professional warrior with a clean body and a dirty mind. I don't rust, bust or collect dust. My tales are told around a million camp fires on a thousand battle fields and as many fighting ships. Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell won't have me. There is no mistake that I am a hard charging, fast talking, straight shooting, fist throwin', low crawling, motivated, dedicated

FMF Combat CORPSMAN !!!

NOW WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

Thanks

NavyResCorpsman
09-09-03, 03:21 PM
I think the site is DOC'S AID STATION.

ENJOY

thedrifter
09-09-03, 03:33 PM
Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

Apache
09-13-03, 05:49 PM
Devil Doc's ---would'nt want to go without em!Sometimes had more ba--- than anyone else