PDA

View Full Version : Question about college in the reserves

Hurricanes24
04-30-10, 07:38 PM
I have wanted to be a Marine for as long as i can remember. Being sixteen and a teenager I do fantasise about being in Force Recon or a Scout/Sniper, but thinking more realistically I realise my chances are slim. I'm a sophomore in high school and I've been thinking alot about college. I was talking to a recruiter and he said I could get a degree through the Marine Reserves. My father believes I should join the National Guard, but my stepfather says active duty. Both have over 20 years in the Airforce and Army. I would like to know if going to college through the Marines has any advantages over the Guard. I've tried searches and have had little luck. Thank you for your time.

Dragonscript
05-02-10, 07:54 PM
Many Reserve Marines i know go to college as well. Most reserve units try to schedule their AT, Active Time, during the summer between college semesters. Most colleges work with the Reserves to help them out as best they can. If you want college and the Marine Corps, it does go well together.

Hurricanes24
05-02-10, 09:12 PM
Do you know the likelihood of being deployed while on reserves? If I were to be deployed mid-semester what would happen? Would my grades be put on hold or would I be failed? And thank you.

Dragonscript
05-03-10, 10:48 AM
The chances of getting deployed? With a standard contract, without asking to be deployed, is ~90%. Expect to be deployed sometime. My unit always has people on deployment, but next year we expect to deploy as a unit for the third time since 2001, this will be my first deployment with them.

If you go on deployment mid-semester, it really depends on the school/professor. The school i go to will give you an Incomplete for the class and allow you to finish it when you get back, which has no negative impact on you, grade wise, at all. Depending on how far you are into the class then they just may give you the "up to that moment" grade for the class, it all depends on the school. Each school has an official, published policy about it, but i know of no school that will fail you for deploying.

crazymjb
05-03-10, 01:21 PM
If you need to restart the semester the school is legally required to refund that semester. Your basically covered with school and employment by various acts and laws pertaining to the military.

Drill and AT can at times be inconvenient and depending on the unit, MOS, op-tempo and op-schedule they will vary in their leniency towards your life otherwise. Expect to be deployed at least once easily twice depending when you get in.

Mike

polizei
05-03-10, 01:50 PM
Alright I'll (hopefully) help summarize all of this...

If you sign a 4x4 contract, (4 years AD - Active Drilling Status, 4 years IRR - Inactive Ready Reserves), you will receive NO college benefits at all. To receive benefits, you need to sign a 6x2.

Now with that said, it's extremely easy to go to college while in the reserves, as I am doing now. You just go to drill once a month and your AT in the summer. Now, chances are you will NOT be able to take summer school because of the AT.

As far as deployments go....I recently had to go through with this, only to have the deployment called off. Basically, if you are almost done with the semester, you can talk to your advisor and teachers and most will let you take the finals early, and basically you just have to work your butt off to get everything done before you leave. Or, if you are just starting the semester, you'll have to withdraw from all the courses and they will issue you a full refund. And whenever you get back you'll pick up in the same spot.

Now, if you deploy and are AD for 180 days (6 months) minus initial training you'll receive the GI bill, which gives you even more benefits.

That's really about it...chances of deployment vary from unit and you'll have no idea of knowing. My unit for example, in August they went to Iraq, got back in January, and March we got verbal orders to Haiti. Well that failed, and so did the Afghan deployment. It just depends.

Hurricanes24
05-03-10, 02:26 PM
Thank you very much for the replies, they helped alot. The reserves sound alot more simple [for education] than the WV National Guard. But like I said I'm only in high school so I still have time to decide.

polizei
05-04-10, 10:51 AM
All reserves do basically the same thing...but realistically, you'll probably get more money out of the army, not to mention better meals, living conditions, etc. etc. However, being a Marine is something no one but Marines will understand. It's truly the greatest feeling in the world, reserve or AD.

Hurricanes24
05-05-10, 08:07 PM
Like I said earlier, I've wanted to be a Marine for as long as I can remember. My grandfather and great grandfather were both Marines. I never knew either of them but I'm facinated by all the stories my mom and grandmother tell. I even joined AFJROTC (its all that was offered) to learn more about the military. Unfortunatly I'm dropping the coarse because I'm getting nothing out of it. All we do is sit around and BS. That and watch old recorded Glen Beck specials.

Hurricanes24
05-09-10, 08:51 PM
I read somewhere about how the Navy has a program where sailors can attend classes while out at sea. Do any of you know if that only applies to the Navy or if the Marines can do it too?

crazymjb
05-09-10, 10:11 PM
It depends. If you are active duty, depending on your MOS, you can certainly get an amount (how much really is up in the air) of school done through night and online courses, whether they be at a local school, base learning center, or the internet. There are also multiple programs to send active duty Marines to college.

If you are talking about being a reservist and going on a deployment, again I would say it depends, though my guess is probably not because during that deployment you are going to be pretty damn busy.

Mike

Hurricanes24
05-10-10, 02:28 PM
Ok. That makes sense. Thank you all for the replies. If I have any more questions I know where to come.