PDA

View Full Version : designated marksman/ squad advanced marksman?

ajmidget
04-30-10, 03:15 PM
(i know that this is really premature and all, but im curious about it. also i have searched but gotten very little info)

im planning on joining the Marine Corps after high school, and have been looking into some different jobs i could do after boot camp. the one thing i am dead-set on is being a grunt. one job that really appealed to me was the designated marksman/ squad advanced marksman. i have googled indefinitely, but not found much info on how to get this position,(at SOI maybe?) because i know its not an MOS. can someone help me out with this? any one have any sort of basic knowledge on this position? thanks in advance

Lisa 23
04-30-10, 04:20 PM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup:
And I don't mean to sound like your English teacher, but how about using capital letters at beginning of sentences, punctuation marks were needed, and capitalizing the letter "I".

ajmidget
04-30-10, 04:35 PM
Got it!

Lisa 23
04-30-10, 05:07 PM
How do you become a designated marksman in the Marine Corps?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95081

This one might be a few years old, but it has some info in it that might help you.

Designated Marksman
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30853&highlight=designated+marksman

ajmidget
04-30-10, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I already read those, but I can't seem to find any info on how to get a spot at the school. thanks!

Big Jim
04-30-10, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I already read those, but I can't seem to find any info on how to get a spot at the school. thanks!

HOW...?!?! You excel, gut it out, do exceedingly good.....then hope and pray you're chosen...!! Thats how..!!!

This is a fine example of someone trying to find out information that just has to be learned...the information you seek isn't placed in any database or link to anything available to you. Since you are the potential student....they want you to go and do your very best without cheating and trying to get an edge over everyone else...ok?

ajmidget
04-30-10, 05:43 PM
HOW...?!?! You excel, gut it out, do exceedingly good.....then hope and pray you're chosen...!! Thats how..!!!

This is a fine example of someone trying to find out information that just has to be learned...the information you seek isn't placed in any database or link to anything available to you. Since you are the potential student....they want you to go and do your very best without cheating and trying to get an edge over everyone else...ok?

i'm not really sure what you're trying to say, but i'll make my question clearer: is there a certain MOS you need to get this job?(i've heard you need to be security forces, but i'm not sure) what are the requirements? any advice on how to prepare? that sort of thing.

ajmidget
05-01-10, 04:19 PM
any Marines with first hand knowledge on this? any Designated Marksman or friends of Designated Marksman?

Big Jim
05-01-10, 04:42 PM
any Marines with first hand knowledge on this? any Designated Marksman or friends of Designated Marksman?

Did you even TRY to read those links that WMarine posted for you..?!?! All the answers to your questions have been answered.....it cannot be put any simpler...all your questions are trivial to say the least and the answers are in those posts. So now YOU have to exercise a little initiative here and actually research at least a little bit for yourself..!!! Ok....?!?!

ajmidget
05-01-10, 05:08 PM
i have been turning google inside-out and found nothing on how to become a designated marksman. i have read both those links before many times. neither say if a specific mos is needed, what the prerequisites are, ect. do i need to shoot expert?(for example)
Also the only poster on either of the two threads that had ANY first hand experience was thewookie, and he taught there around 17 years ago, before either Iraq or Afghanistan, so i would assume things have changed some what.
also if this sounds disrespectful it isn't intended that way, things sound badly on the web.

ajmidget
05-01-10, 05:11 PM
also im trying to see if there is a way to join that does not involve joining a FAST platoon.

Zulu 36
05-01-10, 05:24 PM
also im trying to see if there is a way to join that does not involve joining a FAST platoon.

Designated marksmen are generally infantrymen. You finish boot camp, SOI, and join your unit. Work hard, learn well, keep your nose clean, get a deployment under your belt, and you'll have a chance to volunteer as a DM and maybe get picked.

Big Jim
05-01-10, 05:57 PM
i have been turning google inside-out and found nothing on how to become a designated marksman. i have read both those links before many times. neither say if a specific mos is needed, what the prerequisites are, ect. do i need to shoot expert?(for example)
Also the only poster on either of the two threads that had ANY first hand experience was thewookie, and he taught there around 17 years ago, before either Iraq or Afghanistan, so i would assume things have changed some what.
also if this sounds disrespectful it isn't intended that way, things sound badly on the web.

Oh ok....you just needed to ask the RIGHT question....no apology needed....in fact....I should apologize to you for shooting first and asking questions later....!! We have had a rash of disrespectful kids come on here...excuse me for being so harsh so quick.....my bad.

Like my brother Zulu pointed out...they take outstanding young Marines who show initiative and a true desire to learn and show great interest and motivation in everything he/she does....and yes....your MOS will have to be in the Infantry field....but it IS attainable.....ok?

ajmidget
05-01-10, 07:26 PM
thanks, my bad on the wording of my initial post!
one more question, when trying to get a spot for this school, do you go to them and ask for a spot? or do they ask you?
thanks again.

Big Jim
05-01-10, 07:54 PM
No....talk to your recruiter about that.....have you even taken the ASVAB yet....?

ajmidget
05-01-10, 07:59 PM
no, im just a Sophomore wannabe for now(like a said, waaay premature). Also i must have scrolled right past Zulu's post the first time, just noticed it, and i see he answered my new question. thanks!

Big Jim
05-01-10, 08:03 PM
no, im just a Sophomore wannabe for now(like a said, waaay premature). Also i must have scrolled right past Zulu's post the first time, just noticed it, and i see he answered my new question. thanks!

Yeah.....go and talk to a recruiter for this information if and when you do get serious about actually taking the oath ok? Or when you do get close to doing it....come back and ask these pertinent questions. If you're a Sophomore wannabe.... you have ALOT of time left before the time to join actually gets here.....alot of changing can and WILL happen between now and then...trust me. Take your time on this decision.....weigh it for a few years....talk to your parents about it ok?