PDA

View Full Version : Duty Stations

thezero
04-29-10, 10:25 PM
Alright, so I have pretty much been told that until the new fiscal year that all AME's (Seat Mechs) will be getting Harriers, later transferring to the new F-35. And with us getting our orders from A school, we'll have two options MCAS Yuma, AZ or MCAS Cherry Point, NC. I lived at Cherry Point and have talked to my dad about Yuma, I was just wondering who had more recent intel on what each is like and offers to do around the area. But this of course is assuming that their will be an option to choose between the two. :iwo:

Garyius
04-30-10, 09:07 AM
You should be okay when and if they switch. When the Corps got out of the A-4 and A-6 business they threw all the Airframe Mechanics for those two out of the Corps (they were already full for EA-6 squadrons). Zeros got retrained, Es were scrambling trying to get anything to lat move into. Other Es mostly got out okay, though.

I was stationed at Cherry Point, and most of my field time from Cherry Point was out of Yuma.

Cherry Point has some great beaches if you have a car. The college girls at those beaches will not want to have much to do with you, though, because you are a yucky baby killer--their professor said so--and besides the frat boys over there have money.

The major urban stuff is 2ish hours away from Cheerless Point. Jacksonville is an hour away even down the back way, and a great way to get in real trouble without having much fun.

Yuma gets hot, then cold. Urban wise there are things to do if you have a car. There are some nasty areas there to avoid. Mexico used to be a lot of fun for formal dining and classy bars for cheap, that is closed to you now. Any major urban things you want to do are at least three hours out. Very very hot there.

thezero
04-30-10, 12:59 PM
Well, trying to retrain seat mechs is quite up there but where the F-35 and AV-8B are similar I have been told we will just move to the new aircraft.
But, OT what are the cost of living in those areas now days like how much is everyday things or activities for the weekends. And college folk I don't care about because I'll tell them whats what if they want to start anything, no skin off my nose

LandsNGrooves
04-30-10, 05:48 PM
Im in Jacksonville. NC can be fun unless your the barhound type. There is lots of Sking,mountain climbing and biking and other outdoorsy stuff to be had upstate, and if your into guns(some Marines arnt,wierdos) there is a big scene for IDPA,IPSC,and 3 gun matches here because of the mil bases, and contractors being from here. Blackwater is in Moyock and holds public matches onsite.

Beltayn
04-30-10, 07:17 PM
The beaches and waterfront scene is probably the biggest thing going for Cherry Point. There's a few clubs that are pretty sweet and the beaches are excellent. If you're looking to meet people I'd stay away from raging high-and-tights and moto gear when you go, however. Just generally don't be a gigantic boot and you won't have too much trouble with the college girls as long as you have game.
Don't bother with Jville. There isn't anything there that's worth the trouble.

thezero
04-30-10, 07:41 PM
I know about Jville, stayed out there before I checked into MCT. And I haven't had a high and tight since RA, and most of my moto gear is going to my brother once I send it back. Any one have a lot of info on Yuma?

Beltayn
04-30-10, 08:08 PM
I'm rocking the motivated "Air Wing" haircut. There's a zero. I swear. You just can't tell from the front. It's getting kind of hot now though, so I'll prolly go back to a good old fashioned medium fade.

By the way, I was Hotel Hell myself back in '08. 2029. Oorah

Juicemang
05-03-10, 09:39 AM
I'd go Cherry Point, all the way. NC isn't bad at all, you just have to get used to the humidity and spend your time wisely.