PDA

View Full Version : "The Few and the Proud"

USNAviator
04-28-10, 08:08 PM
Marines

Recently came across a book published in 2006 re. an oral history of the D.I.'s. This may be old news to you but if not I wanted so share. The title is "The Few and the Proud" author, Larry Smith. Review below is from Amazon, I believe

Dan

"The Few and the Proud" focuses on drill instructors, past and present. It begins with members of the "Old Corps" from the WWII period, and moves up through the Korea and Vietnam eras to current Marines. Legends such as "Iron Mike" Mervosh are profiled, along with the infamous SSgt. McKeon, who instigated the so-called "Ribbon Creek" incident that almost destroyed the Corps. It's fascinating to compare the older men and women with their younger counterparts. But regardless of era, these Marines had a profound impact on their recruits, and are never forgotten by them. There are also sections featuring black and female Marines, in order to highlight the barriers that they had to conquer.

The changes in boot camp training over the years were also discussed. For example, I was surprised to see that the Phase stages and range flags were done away with for a period of time. I'm glad they were reinstated (especially since I have fond memories of doing my part for our platoon's range flag). Finally, it was cool to see the career path of Marines who entered the Corps around the same time I did. They never left, and are now Sergeants Major or officers (on a side note, it was also interesting to get more information about the operational role of a Sergeant Major).

I had my struggles with some aspects of the Marine Corps, and it certainly had issues with me. But besides the Church, the Corps is the greatest earthly thing I've had the privilege to be a part of. Indeed, if the present-day Marines profiled in this book are any indication, it's in better shape than ever before. I'm thankful for the good memories that "The Few and the Proud" brought back. Semper Fi!"

CH53MetalMan
04-28-10, 11:28 PM
It is a damn good book. I liked when one D.I. spoke about the need for intimidation on the drill field. Classic.

jetdawgg
04-29-10, 10:59 AM
Excellent book. I read a few years ago. R Lee Ermey even has a chapter in it.:usmc:

USNAviator
04-29-10, 12:14 PM
Excellent book. I read a few years ago. R Lee Ermey even has a chapter in it.:usmc:

That's true, I forgot about Ermey being in it. Interesting insight to how things have and have not changed. The core values are still intact just how they are implemeted in the Corps has changed

ameriken
04-29-10, 12:19 PM
I've heard of it but never read it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to order it rickytick.

Splash0341
04-29-10, 01:10 PM
Sweet i like anything Ermey's old ass says. he is hilarious

codeman92190
04-29-10, 07:05 PM
Very good book, I'd highly recommend it to Marines, but almost more so to civilians. I felt that it did a good job during certain sections at emphasizing the main point of Bootcamp: not to get in shape, not to make better citizens, or a son who a mother can be proud of, but to create killers who will at some point go to war.

With that in mind, what should we be more worried about? Hurting recruits' feelings, causing them pain, or failing to train them to FIGHT?

CH53MetalMan
04-29-10, 10:38 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, he mentioned being discharged in Japan? Sounds crazy, but I think that is what he said. Then he went to PI to open up a bar, but soon there after had to leave the county...