PDA

View Full Version : Once in a Lifetime: Hometown Hero Meets Hometown Band

thedrifter
09-09-03, 06:17 AM
Once in a Lifetime: Hometown Hero Meets Hometown Band
Submitted by: Operation Tribute to Freedom
Story Identification Number: 20039881639
Story by Army Pfc. Andrew Hillegass

WASHINGTON -- Cpl. Antonio Deascanis never thought he would say these words when he joined the Marine Corps: "Please welcome the band that speaks to 'The Young and the Hopeless,' GOOD CHARLOTTE." But September 4th, on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. in front of a crowd of 100,000 people, the young corporal, with the help of NFL Hall of Fame quarterbacks Joe Namath and Joe Theisman, did just that.

Deascanis, who is assigned to Headquarters Battalion at Henderson Hall, Arlington, Va., got the chance of a lifetime. Not only did he appear on the nationally televised NFL Kickoff Live concert with two of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, but he was also able to introduce a band he liked.

"It was good to get the opportunity to represent the Marine Corps, but it was also great to introduce one of my favorite bands," said Deascanis.

Through Operation Tribute to Freedom (OTF), a Department of Defense initiative to encourage the public to show their appreciation and reinforce the bond between American citizens and the men and women of our armed forces; Deascanis was selected to represent the Marine Corps and introduce Good Charlotte, a band from Wilmington, Del., the same hometown as the corporal.

Allowing a hometown hero the opportunity to stand on stage with some past NFL greats and current celebrities was part of the NFL and OTF efforts to salute America's military.

"When I found out about it, I didn't know that it was going to be on TV," Deascanis added. "I wasn't sure that I was going to do it, but after thinking about it, I decided that I would and I am glad that I did."

Once he committed to the concert, he then had to go through some preparation. First, there was a press conference. Reporters from around the world were in attendance as the NFL introduced performers and service members to the media.

"It was cool getting to meet them (Good Charlotte) before the press conference," said Deascanis.

The next thing for Deascanis was to rehearse the program. He had to get familiar with his lines and get over being nervous about sharing the stage with Namath and Theisman.

"I was nervous that I would get up there and let the Marine Corps down by messing up my lines," said Deascanis.

All of the practice paid off for Deascanis. When he walked out on stage to greet the crowd that included 15,000 servicemembers, Deascanis got the job done.

"I think that I did a good job once I was up there," said Deascanis, who has been in the Marines for a little over two years.

For Deascanis, meeting two legendary quarterbacks and his favorite band was an all time high, but the real satisfaction came from simply being recognized.

"It was really great to see the military honored by the NFL," said Deascanis. This was exactly what NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue was trying to accomplish when putting the event together. "We were looking forward to this season's opening game in the nation's capital, which presented a unique opportunity to salute the military and other public servants," said Tagliabue in a press release from the NFL head office.

Once Deascanis was done introducing the band, he walked through the crowd back to the staging area, where to his surprise, Joe Theisman was waiting for him.

Theisman shook the corporal's hand and thanked him for serving the country. Theisman then took time to pose for pictures with the service members that were on hand backstage.

To Deascanis's disbelief Theisman left, returning only moments later to give the jersey that he had been wearing to the corporal.

"The best part about Joe (Theisman) giving me the jersey is that he had signed it for me, I didn't even know it until I held it up," said Deascanis.

Deascanis was waiting in the backstage tent when Good Charlotte finished their set. That is where the corporal acquired his most prized possession of the evening...a Good Charlotte CD, autographed by lead guitarist Benji Madden.

"If I got to do it again I would, that way I could do a better job," said Deascanis. "This has been a once in a lifetime experience."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003989915/$file/nflkickoff_lo.jpg

Operation Tribute to Freedom NFL Kickoff celebrity presenter, Marine Cpl. Antonio Deascanis gets an autograph from Benji Madden, lead guitarist for Good Charlotte, backstage at the NFL Kickoff Live concert at the National Mall. Cpl. Deascanis helped to introduce the band and was part of Operation Tribute to Freedom. Operation Tribute to Freedom was created by the Secretary of Defense to encourage Americans to show their appreciation to the men and women of the armed forces.
Photo by: Army Pfc. Andrew Hillegass

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: