PDA

View Full Version : Mct

Chocopie
04-28-10, 12:40 PM
I know it is 29 days long. Those 29 days include the weekends right? For the East Coast?
Because I heard that on the West Coast they have the weekends off or something.
Another question, since my shipping out date has been pushed back, I will now be at MCT (hopefully!) around late December early Janurary which of course run's through Christmas and New Years day/eve;
will the 29 day's still count for those or what?

Capital M
04-28-10, 01:09 PM
When we got our MCT/SOI brief last week, the 1st Sgt that came up said that we were eligible for some Sunday liberty, but it wasn't guaranteed.

Christmas/New Years couldn't answer for you

But what I could tell you is that MCT is a long way off for you. You're going to find that once you hit the yellow footprints these little things you have questions about will take a back seat if not leave your mind completely. Believe me... I was that poolee asking stupid questsions like what day we get our personal effects back at boot camp and other things that really weren't important. Take it one step at a time and **** will work itself out.

thewookie
04-28-10, 01:15 PM
But what I could tell you is that MCT is a long way off for you. You're going to find that once you hit the yellow footprints these little things you have questions about will take a back seat if not leave your mind completely. Believe me... I was that poolee asking stupid questsions like what day we get our personal effects back at boot camp and other things that really weren't important. Take it one step at a time and **** will work itself out.

Nice job, Marine.

To the OP - go PT -- that is what you should be worried about. :devious: Not what or how many days you have off. You think anyone in Iraq or Afghanistan is getting time off to play with Jody rotten crotch?

dizark
04-28-10, 05:01 PM
I went to MCT from the 2nd of June to the 30th of June. All 28 or 29 days you aren't training. I think the majority was like 21 days. When you first get there, you'll be getting gear issues for training, filling out paperwork, etc. The last few days you'll be turning gear in, etc.

tdrt
04-28-10, 05:43 PM
Hell Chocopie, you still here? Thought we had your ass shipped off by now.

BR34
04-28-10, 05:59 PM
The reason people say the West Coast Marines get off and East Coast don't is because on the East Coast there's nothing for the Marines to do.

I spent some time at Pendleton and witnessed the WC MCT'ers walking around with Dominoes Pizza bags, sitting around shooting the **** while drinking sodas, etc on the weekends. There's also a bus that runs through there so they can go out and do whatever superboot Marines do (walk around aimlessly while wearing a Marpat backpack).

At Camp Geiger (East Coast MCT) however there is only a small trailer that stocks some junk food and other b.s. so there's really nothing to do. You can't go anywhere. You just sit down for a few hours on Sunday and eat a candy bar while slurping a Coke and hoping they'll let you make a phone call home.

CplGiraffe
04-28-10, 07:02 PM
I think the reason inherently has to do with West coast is all Males and East coast is not..

crazymjb
04-28-10, 09:24 PM
My girlfriend had no libo till the last day. I think I got 1 letter through to her the whole time she was there. When she got libo, all their instructors treated them like babies and followed them around, I barely got a quick peck on the lips. It sucked. This was on East Coast about 18 months ago.

BR34, the whole walking around with no purpose with a MARPAT backpack is friggin hilarious... Jacksonville blows, thank god I'm a reservist, or I'd probably be doing that right now.

Mike

Komenko
04-28-10, 09:30 PM
My girlfriend had no libo till the last day. I think I got 1 letter through to her the whole time she was there. When she got libo, all their instructors treated them like babies and followed them around, I barely got a quick peck on the lips. It sucked. This was on East Coast about 18 months ago.

BR34, the whole walking around with no purpose with a MARPAT backpack is friggin hilarious... Jacksonville blows, thank god I'm a reservist, or I'd probably be doing that right now.

Mike

whats even funnier is seeing them at the local mall with the MARPAT lol. talk about sticking out like a sore thumb. poor boot don't know! lots have changed since i went to MCT. it was only 14 days for me!

FattyTheFerret
04-28-10, 09:34 PM
I reported into MCT on December 16th. Immediately after checking in I was told to call my recruiter and request RA because there were no classes picking up for another few weeks. They wanted as many of us gone as possible during the holidays.

Not sure if that's still the case.

Weekends weren't really "off". The only overnight day was the last Sunday and some platoons didn't get it for various disciplinary reasons. One Sunday we got three hours because we spent the rest of the weekend cleaning weapons. It was enough time to get a haircut and grab some quick chow.

crazymjb
04-28-10, 09:34 PM
Me being cheap I never actually bought the MARPAT pack... but when I picked my girlfriend up from the airport thats how I first noticed her.

Just look for the abercrombie models with oaklies, an iphone, and some sick MARPAT gear. Probably rocking ICBs too.

Mike

BR34
04-28-10, 09:38 PM
http://******************/comics/2010-02-26-Strip_16_LOL_Boots_web.jpg

Quinbo
04-28-10, 09:42 PM
When I went through NCO school we used MCT weapons during field week. Go fire about 9 zillion blanks through a saw then turn it in to the armory. Some boot had to spend his Saturday cleaning it.

Komenko
04-28-10, 09:43 PM
lmfao BR34 thats so fvckin true!

crazymjb
04-28-10, 09:46 PM
I for one LIKE my 7.62 design shirts. They are cool.

Mike

FattyTheFerret
04-28-10, 09:47 PM
http://******************/comics/2010-02-26-Strip_16_LOL_Boots_web.jpg

jesus. there really is always that one guy that HAS to make sure EVERYONE knows he's from texas, even though it sometimes seems like half the Marine Corps came through RSS Dallas

Quinbo
04-28-10, 09:52 PM
Recruiting in Texas is like going hunting in a zoo. LOL

I would guesstimate that 80 % of my boot camp platoon was from Texas.

LCPLPOULIN
04-28-10, 11:37 PM
if you heard that west coast gets weekends off you heard correctly.i didnt gwt any time on east coast and alot of the marines i work with currently say they got almost every weekend off in the west.

Chocopie
04-29-10, 01:30 PM
reason I asked was not because I want "days off". It is actually the opposite of that.. after bootcamp I dont even want my boot leave I want to save up on enough days..
But my major concern is, that I think I will have to use them because of the time i'll be going to MCT during the holiday season
but I was'nt sure

BR34
04-29-10, 01:42 PM
If they give you days off for the holidays it will be liberty, not charged against your leave account.

FattyTheFerret
04-29-10, 03:38 PM
reason I asked was not because I want "days off". It is actually the opposite of that.. after bootcamp I dont even want my boot leave I want to save up on enough days..
But my major concern is, that I think I will have to use them because of the time i'll be going to MCT during the holiday season
but I was'nt sure

I don't think you'll get a choice in using them. The Marine Corps will buy you a plane ticket home with a return flight the day before you have to report into MCT. If you're graduating late in the winter you'll probably automatically be given some recruiter's assistance duty (unless you're a reservist). My company graduated Dec 5 and nearly everyone got a month of RA.

I guess you can buy your own plane ticket and report into MCT early but it doesn't really make much sense. I doubt they'll pick you up with a company any sooner and you'll just be stuck in receiving barracks for a week trying to avoid working parties.

Also, as BR34 pointed out, weekend days off are not counted as leave. You'll learn the difference between leave and liberty while in training.

Chocopie
04-29-10, 04:54 PM
hmm. useful info. thank you

thezero
04-29-10, 10:18 PM
You don't get liberty on east coast MCT until the day before you leave. Some companies get to use their phones on weekends, Golf company does not. Do not try to smoke or dip at MCT you will get page 11'd for it. Never leave your rifle anywhere unsecured and just so you know you will freeze your balls of at that time of year. Especially at range, Camp Devil Dog wasn't as bad but still, I went in Jan. and I woke up to frozen camel backs, canteens and the inside of the tin can frozen. Also don't plan for a lot of time to eat.

blackshirts
05-02-10, 04:29 PM
Yea, the West Coast did get the weekends off. We also had to actually train during the week though, as opposed to the easties.