PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning personal housing.

Dustin Griffith
04-27-10, 11:11 PM
I dont leave for bootcamp till August but I have a family and id like to know if owning our own mobile home (trailer) is an option for housing. We would like to buy a new mobile home and just move it to where ever I am stationed. Would I be allowed to do this?

dizark
04-28-10, 12:15 AM
I don't see why you couldn't move the actual home, but it would be at your own expense to move it, get land, and stuff set up. I own a modular home but can't bring it to Hawaii and am having a hell of a time to sell it.

Good luck to you

Dustin Griffith
04-28-10, 12:21 AM
Reason I want todo this is because i feel like the housing allowence I will get will accually go into something I own instead of paying rent to someone. And by time i get out of the Corps ill have a paid for home I can live in or sell for somthing nicer. Moving it and finding a lot to rent would be no issue.

Quinbo
04-28-10, 02:28 AM
There is a rank based weight limit for government moves. I think a trailer house might exceed that regardless of rank. I know a couple of jarheads that own houses in various locations and have a realty company manage them as rentals.

My brother and his wife live in a fancy smancy camp trailer and he tows it with his truck. Next stop is just a KOA camp ground away.

You could always get a tent and bank the money LOL

Dragonscript
04-28-10, 06:54 AM
I dont leave for bootcamp till August but I have a family and id like to know if owning our own mobile home (trailer) is an option for housing. We would like to buy a new mobile home and just move it to where ever I am stationed. Would I be allowed to do this?

Each unit and base has different housing regulations, but i don't think it will be an issue. Remember, housing codes are locally based so the trailer you buy may pass code in your home town but may not pass code in the new location.

Phantom Blooper
04-28-10, 08:05 AM
Availability of spots....

Some bases have plenty of mobile home parks around....

On some bases mobile home parks are like base housing....a waiting list.

In some towns like stationed in Quantico....you will be hard pressed to find a spot to put....and if you did the monetary amount would be atrocious.:evilgrin: