PDA

View Full Version : A homeless man loses his life on the streets of NY

Bruce59
04-27-10, 09:07 AM
Being homeless on the streets of N.Y., or any city in this
country is a fact of life. You may or may not have heard about
the homeless man killed early yesterday mouning. It seems
he went to the aid of a woman who was being attacked and was stabbed for his efforts. He lay there on the street
for an hour, bleeding to death while people just passed by.
When he was being stabbed there was no one around to
see what happened, still 5 min, later there were people
just passed by, I guess they thought he was just another
drunk passed out on the street, one man stopped and turned him over looked at him then walked away. finally
I guess someone called 911, when the EMTs arived it was
to late, the homeless man was dead. In this day of cell phones you think someone could have called 911. And then
you have to ask yourself why the woman who was able
to get away didn't call for help?

Now this reminds me of something that happed in, I beleive it was around the early 1960s on the streets of N.Y.
A young woman was being attacked on a street with
apartments on both sides of the street. It was said that at
least 50 people heard her cries for help and no one would
come to her aid or call the police, they just shut there
windows and pulled there drapes while she died on the street, because her neighbors did not want to get involed.

NoRemorse
04-27-10, 09:16 AM
They've done several studies on this. The prevailing finding was that most people assume that someone else already called for help or will call for help.

I could google links to it but I don't remember the specific book I first read it in.

Hanzo
04-27-10, 09:20 AM
I'm kinda curious, did the woman he helped ever come forward? I would think she had to of. Otherwise, how would we know that he was coming to her aid if there was no one around to witness it?

TinDragon
04-27-10, 09:45 AM
The first person to see him came out of a nearby house, took a picture on his cell phone, and walked away.

911 showed up for a completely unrelated call about an hour and 20 minutes after he got stabbed.

Bruce59
04-27-10, 12:34 PM
All was caught on a security cam. Although it was not very clear, you can see the man run up the street to were the couple are, a short struggle
then run back toward the camera and fall to the sidewalk.

Splash0341
04-27-10, 01:54 PM
People are getting more and more nosey but they dont wanna get involved with **** or have to deal with their o so stressful lives. <br />
<br />
this kind of **** happens all the time. remember the last year...

jetdawgg
04-27-10, 02:26 PM
@Bruce59

The city streets have always been brutal. Often there are stories like this, but NY'ers do come to the aid of others. I personally have gone into burning 5 story buildings twice to save people.

Getting involved is kind of tricky in the city as only the crooks have guns because of gun control. So the people there generally feel helpless or in the least insecure:usmc:

Bruce59
04-27-10, 07:32 PM
point well taken, I wasn't picking on N.Y. city, I grew up in N.J.

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
04-27-10, 08:15 PM
One of the contributiong factors for not giving aid in this type of situation is due to the threat of the "helper" being prosecuted for injuring the perpetrator. Another would be the potential witness being hauled into court, having all of their personal information basically made public while the miscreant's info. is protected (the witness is open to reprisal by friends of the criminal). That's generally the way it works these days.

Tis truly a bad situation.

Quinbo
04-27-10, 09:44 PM
The good samaritan act is probably 20 years old now. If you render aid you can not be prosecuted. Just walking by you should be. The only by you get is if someone is already there trying to help. That shouldn't prevent you from helping the helper.

Here where I live it is against the law ... if you witness an accident or see someone in need of assistance and don't attempt to render aid you will go to jail. Not the other way around.

montana
04-27-10, 10:28 PM
its about doing what is rite....how hard is it to dile 911...
was driving home one day saw smoke boiling up....as i drove past a neibors guse i saw a lady just outside her door with a matress on fire...i stoped and helped her get the rest of the bed that was on fire out of the house and put out....caused by faulty wiering...made sure no fire was in the wall....made sure she was alright then headed home....next time i went to town people telling me i did something outstanding....told um bull shert.....its what your spose to do....
sad when sombody acts in a was you should they come out with hero crap....to sad that society has sunk that lowlike Ker said....people who dont help should do time

Dragonscript
04-28-10, 06:49 AM
I read this story a couple days ago on the BBC and thought of the irony of the previous NYC article i had read, which talked about how New Yorkers use less energy per person due to population density...

Zulu 36
04-28-10, 07:43 AM
How the hell could they prove a trespassing charge when the idiot's wife gave your spouse permission to enter? <br />
<br />
I readily admit that sometimes stopping to help puts you in danger, particularly if...

Dragonscript
04-28-10, 03:53 PM
I understand what you're saying, i thought it was bull crap also but that's what the MPs told the wife and I. I'll still help someone if the need was there, I've stopped on the side of the road many...