PDA

View Full Version : Marine corps or Army?

weberyield
04-26-10, 12:10 PM
Sorry if this is wrong place to post this.

Well im 16 turning 17 on may 18 and I KNOW I want to join a armed force in order to give a little back and i was wondering.
Which is better? Can I have some non-basied answers. I would like to know pros and cons.

p.s I hope this is the right forum to post this topic, if its not im sorry.:(

Lynn2
04-26-10, 12:15 PM

Well im 16 turning 17 on may 18 and I KNOW I want to join a armed force in order to give a little back and i was wondering.
Which is better? Can I have some non-basied answers. I would like to know pros and cons.

p.s I hope this is the right forum to post this topic, if its not im sorry.:(

I have no idea if this is the right forum or not either. If not I must admit I am not all that sorry :-)

My advice is to rent Band of Brothers. Then watch the Pacific.

Then decide. This is very serious advice.

It will also give you something to think about when you are picking a MOS.

doc h fmf
04-26-10, 12:17 PM
YOU ARE ON THE MARINE CORPS WEB PAGE AND YOUR ASKING WHICH SERVICE YOU SHOULD JOIN? WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE SON. THE MARINE CORPS OF COURSE and you need to fill out your file too

Lisa 23
04-26-10, 12:20 PM
And you're posting in the wrong forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines only. Read the headings over each forum as a guide.
You should PM one of the mods....thedrifter, Sgt Leprechaun or jinelson....and ask to have this moved to the Ask A Marine forum, which is the proper forum for you to be posting in.

And Marine Corps is always capitalized.

weberyield
04-26-10, 12:20 PM
YOU ARE ON THE MARINE CORPS WEB PAGE AND YOUR ASKING WHICH SERVICE YOU SHOULD JOIN? WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE SON. THE MARINE CORPS OF COURSE and you need to fill out your file too
Well i posted on the army forums and half of them said great things about the marine corps and about 49% said they would join the marine corps so ya.

BR34
04-26-10, 12:25 PM
Well i posted on the army forums and half of them said great things about the marine corps and about 49% said they would join the marine corps so ya.

You may get soldiers to say the Marine Corps is best but don't look forward to seeing many Marines saying the Army is.

Anyway, what are we talking about here, "which is better" in what regards?

Seriously, the best fighting force on earth are those Air Farce chicks. Remember, the Chair Force started out in the U.S. Army. Man, talk about some lean, mean, fighting machines.

Lynn2
04-26-10, 12:36 PM

Well I will be darned if I will suggest to anyone they join the Corps. When my own son asked I refused to give an opinion. I told him I would answer questions but he would get no suggestions from me. I had seen enough to cure me of that sort of thing.

Its a grownup's decision. No matter the age you make it at.

And you and only you will have to live with the outcome (in short your blood will not be on my hands just as my son's would not)

I knew one Marine in Nam who threatened to kill his father when he got home (I assume he did not) because his father had suggested he join the Corps. There is no greater hater in the world than a combat man.

I gave one suggestion to my best friend from Lejuene when he asked for advice on which unit to join (his 6 months working at CMed were over and he was on his way to a line outfit of some sort) He took my advice and asked for Recon. He lasted 1/2 of one firefight before he was killed.

Its your decision. Do your own research. Make your own decision. Then live like a grownup with whatever that decision is.

Ignore others when they tell you what is best for you. Its not their decision. They will not be living with the results.

Good Luck

tdrt
04-26-10, 12:38 PM

X2 :thumbup:

Lisa 23
04-26-10, 12:41 PM

X3 :thumbup:

Preacher
04-26-10, 12:55 PM
You're kidding right? You come on a Marine Corps website and ask whether you should join the Corps or the Army? Guess.

Wyoming
04-26-10, 12:57 PM
Maureen Corpse Numba One GI!!

Skyjockey
04-26-10, 01:01 PM
Am gonna get fried for this one, but what the hell..

the analogy between the Band of brothers and the pacific is a little loose, Army Navy Marines, even the Airforce (shiver) we are all after Joining up, A massive band of Brothers and Sisters, ok we tend to Knock Six bells out of each other at every opertunity, but it's good for the soul.

The US Military is very different from the rest of the World, Where the marines are a service unto themselves, rather than being an atachmetn to the Navy.

I am ex UK Forces - Army - but having worked with soldiers in Benning and Bragg, as well as sailors (SEAL) in Pensacola as well as US Army in Germany, and I have come Across Marines in both the US and UK. There is actually no contest...

Marines... The Marines are a self sustaining entity, you can train in all trades of all of the other parts of the forces in the one place. you will have the ability to cross train and develop at a faster rate than anywhere else other than Special Forces.

Don't get me wrong. I would not swap what I had, but at the same time given the choice all over again, the options I could have had would have been better in the Marines...

In June 2001, I went into the US Marine Recruiters and went to find out the process of Joining up. The problem I had was that I was not a US citizen and there was more hassle getting that bit than joining.

So if you want to be a Pro from the Start its the Marines, otherwise it's going to be Army - Ranger School - Special Forces thats 3 - 4 years later. and you don't get the travel that the Marines do...

Now Am out of here before I fragged for Posting where I am Not meant to :)

Jim

buggoffextco
04-26-10, 01:09 PM
No finer fighting force exists on this planet. I would rather fight with a squad of Marines than a company of anything else. There is no finer group of men and women than those who have served this country than those who have served in the Corps. Think about it, someone tells you they are in the navy or army and you don't bat an eye, have that same person tell you they are a Marine and there is a new level of respect there. That other fellow was right, we aren't gonna tell you what to do, that is for you to decide. What we will tell you is that your life will have been enriched by whatever you choose but unless you test yourself, you'll never know if you were good enough.

Lynn2
04-26-10, 01:25 PM
"So if you want to be a Pro from the Start its the Marines, otherwise it's going to be Army - Ranger School - Special Forces thats 3 - 4 years later. and you don't get the travel that the Marines do..."

This youngen has told us nothing about what they want to do once in. Because what you do once in is a heck of a lot more important than which branch you join.

I realize that many here will disagree with that.

Yes it can take years of training in the Army to get where you want to be. But its the same with the Marines. At least it is depending on where you want to be.

Office Clerk or Small Team Operator?

You want infantry then you have two choices. One better than the other IMO. On this we all agree.

You want combat and airborne? Then join the Army. You want SpecOps then take the service giving you the best chance for that.

You want a better mos/rate than any Marine on this board had? Then do what I did and join the Navy.

ameriken
04-26-10, 01:41 PM
I want to join a armed force in order to give a little back and i was wondering.

If you want to give a little back, join the army.

If you want to give a lot back, join the Marines. :iwo:

Danny C Smith
04-26-10, 01:42 PM
The finest, hardest, most outstanding human beings
I have ever seen on this planet in my 44 years of life
was in the Marine Corps.

Smitty:usmc:

USMCM38A1
04-26-10, 02:33 PM
Do you want to be all that you can be Join the Army if you want to push yourself beyond the limits of normal human beings and be more then you thought you could be join the Marines there is a reason we are the Few the Proud the Marines,A Tough Team. If any body could join we would be called the Army but our standards are much higher.

Perry Spiller
04-26-10, 02:45 PM
e

p.s I hope this is the right forum to post this topic, if its not im sorry.:(There is no brotherhood like the fraternal brotherhood of the United States Marine Corps. Oce you earn the title you will be a Marine forever.