PDA

View Full Version : medical waiver?

jsboat
04-26-10, 07:29 AM
I am wondering what my chances are of receiving a medical waiver. I am a testicular cancer (germ cell tumor) survivor and I was born with only one kidney. I've had all the tests in the book run on my kidney and since it is larger than normal is more than covers the workload for both kidney. Based on the type of cancer and the time without relapse I have a better chance of dying in a car accident than relapsing. I have extensive documentation and letters for both.

I am a highly qualified musician (I play a 'critical need' instrument) with a bachelors and masters degree and I am in good physical shape. No matter what, I am still going to try to get it pushed through but I was interested in hearing the thoughts of some Marines.

At this point, I know the Navy says that one kidney is permanently disqualifying but they have a set of instructions on how to get a medical waiver for having one kidney... maybe the same for the Marine Corps?

In a few months I will be beyond the two year waiting period required after finalization of treatment for germ cell tumors so I don't imagine this would be too difficult.

Any thoughts?

TinDragon
04-26-10, 07:32 AM
Waivers are pretty hard to come by nowadays, since we're overfull. You sound pretty dedicated though, put enough effort into it and you could probably get one.

Lisa 23
04-26-10, 07:42 AM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup:

jsboat
04-26-10, 07:52 AM
How about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to. :thumbup:

Thank you for the tip. There's a bit more info in there now.

Lisa 23
04-26-10, 07:57 AM
Kidney.

(1) Current absence of one kidney, congenital (753.0) or acquired (V45.73) is disqualifying.

(2) Current pyelonephritis (chronic or recurrent) (590.0) or any other unspecified infections of the kidney (590.9) is disqualifying.

(3) Current or history of polycystic kidney (753.1) is disqualifying.

(4) Current or history of horseshoe kidney (753.3) is disqualifying.

(5) Current or history of hydronephrosis (591) is disqualifying.

(6) Current or history of acute (580) or chronic (582) nephritis of any type is disqualifying. g. Current or history of proteinuria (791.0) (greater than 200 milligrams (mg)/24 hours; or a protein to creatinine ratio greater than 0.2 in a random urine sample, if greater than 48 hours after strenuous activity) is disqualifying, unless consultation determines the condition to be benign orthostatic proteinuria.

Current or history of urolithiasis (592) within the preceding 12 months is disqualifying. Recurrent calculus, nephrocalcinosis, or bilateral renal calculi at any time, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/urinary.htm

Tumors and malignant diseases

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Current benign tumors (M8000), or conditions that interfere with function, prevent the proper wearing of the uniform or protective equipment, or will require frequent specialized attention, or have a high malignant potential, such as Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome, are disqualifying.

Current or history of malignant tumors (V10) is disqualifying. Skin cancer (other than malignant melanoma) removed with no residual, is not disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/tumors.htm

jsboat
04-26-10, 08:05 AM
Again, thank you for your help. I am going to push like hell for a waiver.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-27-10, 01:10 AM
You can certainly try and talk to a recruiter, but be prepared to find another career path. That's the 'no bs' answer.

jsboat
04-27-10, 06:38 AM
Thank you Sgt. Leprechaun, I appreciate the "no BS" answer.

I definitely do not have all my eggs in one basket but the Marine Corps is what I want. It's a damn shame if I can't enlist due to the medical conditions but I understand the importance of medical screening.

Does anyone think that being offered a position in "The Commandant's Own" will help with the chances of a waiver?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-27-10, 05:22 PM
Quite frankly, I don't know. The band does 'it's own thing' based on it's needs. I would be totally off base in answering anything about them.

jsboat
04-28-10, 06:46 AM
Quite frankly, I don't know. The band does 'it's own thing' based on it's needs. I would be totally off base in answering anything about them.

I had a chance to talk with a recruiter and he did not seem too concerned about my chances of getting a waiver. He is able to meet with me tomorrow.

Your description of the band doing 'it's own thing' seems pretty accurate. There are three recruiters that I have to talk with (I am guessing this is more than normal) and there is extra paperwork that must be completed. I am hoping my experience coupled with my ability to fill a 'critical need' will help.