PDA

View Full Version : dietary...

DevilDogsSon269
04-25-10, 02:58 PM
What would be a good diet for someone who is preparing for boot camp?

Lisa 23
04-25-10, 03:29 PM
Check the internet for diets, and also try doing a search here on Leatherneck. A diet that may be good for one person, may not be good for another.

Phantom Blooper
04-25-10, 04:12 PM
What are you eating now?

If you eat from the food pyramid and eat in those groups in moderation along with a good PT regime....stay away from fast food and high calorie munchies you should be good to go.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products; includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts; and
is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.

How much do you weight?:evilgrin:

thezero
04-25-10, 07:01 PM
Food Pyramid is FUBAR, depending on what you want. look up different diets. Food is not that bad in boot but everything is portioned, you just have to learn how to get the most out of your meals. Learn about the properties of foods and **** just a general knowledge of what will give you most protein, or calories depends what you want. Most likely protein that way when you trim up you can keep muscle or gain muscle.

Quinbo
04-25-10, 08:40 PM
Dang SSgt Hall I think a bootass PFC just said your advice is FUBAR.

DDS if you are not fat then don't even worry about a special diet.

Phantom Blooper
04-26-10, 07:26 AM
The food pyramid is a guideline to eating healthy.....

If you stick to the groups in the pyramid your body will be balanced and not FUBAR.

I guess I made it almost 55 years eating that way and PT'ing and lifting weights up until a few months ago with a full body workout three X's a week with no added supplements....an occasional pig out during the holiday months...with consistent PFT scores and I don't know nuttin'.

I have to agree with Sgt. Bulkyker....if you are not overweight or anorexic there is no need to concern yourself with a "special diet".

If you are push back or protein/carb up.

Otherwise eat the way you were taught in health class in high school if they still teach that and use the food pyramid as a guideline to maintain your healthy weight.

And to clarify.....just because it is on the menu does not mean that it healthy for you...use the guideline in moderation.

**One must always remember two things**

1. Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time. And.....

2. Us old folks know a hell of a lot more about being young than you young folks know about being old.

we made it this far in the Marine Corps without the use of the internet to tell us how to eat properly by following the things we were taught in elementary school and on the homefront.....now if that's FUBAR...take it for what it is worth.:evilgrin:

DevilDogsSon269
04-29-10, 10:31 PM
I weigh a hundred and fifty-six pounds. I try to stay away from fast foods to begin with. I hydrate daily with a gallon or so of water and gatorade. I eat daily plenty of greens, carrots, peanut butter, meats or seafood, eggs, and dairy. Fruits I don't get that much of as the Walmart and Publix here in Tallahassee doesn't carry decent produce often. I eat a bagel every morning and plenty of breads or crackers. I'm wanting to make sure how I eat is appropriate for the activities I currently and soon will be doing.

thezero
04-30-10, 01:16 PM
The food pyramid is a guideline, but is not the best. Everyones body is different and the food pyramid also has a good chunk of the diet as breads and pasta's. Breads and Pasta's are good if your loading up for a big race or a game, but not an every day diet. Fruit is good to but a big part of fruit is sugar which will become fat unless it is burned off first. There are flaws to the food pyramid is all im saying, and I personally don't follow what it says for servings/portions. You have to be able to play around see what gives you the best results for, eating a good amount but not feeling full, energy, what helps you accomplish what you want.

DevilDogsSon269
04-30-10, 03:42 PM
I see thanks. I really appreciate it.

fs19
04-30-10, 05:42 PM
If you want a diet that feels great and supports good muscle growth, check out the Pelio aka Caveman diet. It's pretty simple, you only eat things that either have a mother, or grow (basically only eat natural stuff). Lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, and meat...steak, chicken, turkey, fish. I also add about 3-5 protein shakes a day to my diet. This is basically a high protein, low carbs diet that gets rid of a lot of the **** that most Americans intake every day. It can be rough to stay on at times, party because you have to plan ahead and buy pack and bring your own food if your going somewhere, and also because sometimes your really going to want pizza and ice cream. I generally allow myself 1 cheat day/week to help keep me sane.

Rocky C
04-30-10, 05:49 PM
Don't forget the FIBER!!!

Kegler300
04-30-10, 05:52 PM
Beer and Doritos...

thezero
04-30-10, 07:45 PM
FS the Paleo diet is awesome but hard to try to maintain with chow hall. But once you accustom your body to it eating something different or out of the ordinary definatley has it's after affects. :scared:

Phantom Blooper
05-01-10, 05:54 AM
The food pyramid is a guideline, but is not the best.

The food pyramid may not be the best.....however if followed it serves many well.

All the new fad diets and pseudo weight loss products on the market now were unheard of years ago when kids went outside to play sports....ride bikes...make and build entertain products out of scrap lumber and a few old shoe skates or shopping carts.....a stick and rock....imagination....instead of I'm bored .....so lets stay home and eat geedunk and rent ten movies...stayed outside ALL day and only came home for chow after the chores were done.....then went back out until dark or later.

The advent of video games....computers available to most....fast food and convenience foods....have little John and Susie weighing in at 200 + pounds at ten years old.....then spending big bucks on the fad diets.

As far as the bread goes...eating in moderation and choosing breads that are wheat or whole grains instead of processed white helps your body shiat.

Never been on a weight gain or weight loss program and never taken supplements...except for vitamins.

And this program served me well.

Made my kidswent outside and play and do chores...and everyone ate healthy.No problems in the younger years...but now it's easier to go out to eat and when they call....."I should have listened to the old man!"

Because now I have to buy new clothes...because...won't even go there...might get my azz in trouble.

No need for all the fad diets and scam artist protein pills and shakes.

Now if you want to hulk and bulk....then some may work.

With a stringent weight training program and a good cardio workout.

Go to McDonald's and ask the kid behind the counter for two Quarter Pounders with cheese...large fries...two apple pies....an ice cream sundae...oh and lets not forget the large DIET soft drink.and SUPER SIZE it!

With a good PT program and following the guidelines of the food pyramid....pick and choose....I still stand by my original comments and post.:evilgrin:

fs19
05-01-10, 07:13 AM
I agree that simply eating healthy is the key to being healthy, but I don't consider protein shakes a fad diet or a scam. If you're trying to get bigger and build muscle, you should be eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. If you're hitting the gym hard, getting 1.5 g/lbs body weight/day is going to help you more.

I weigh 200 lbs, and while not impossible it's very difficult for me to get 250 grams of protein every day, especially with a busy schedule. However, If I have a few protein shakes with 50 grams or protein in each one every day, that number becomes much easier to attain.

DevilDogsSon269
05-02-10, 04:25 PM
If you want a diet that feels great and supports good muscle growth, check out the Pelio aka Caveman diet. It's pretty simple, you only eat things that either have a mother, or grow (basically only eat natural stuff). Lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, and meat...steak, chicken, turkey, fish. I also add about 3-5 protein shakes a day to my diet. This is basically a high protein, low carbs diet that gets rid of a lot of the **** that most Americans intake every day. It can be rough to stay on at times, party because you have to plan ahead and buy pack and bring your own food if your going somewhere, and also because sometimes your really going to want pizza and ice cream. I generally allow myself 1 cheat day/week to help keep me sane.

This would actually be the easiest diet for me as my largest intake per day is proteins such as meat, eggs, and nuts. I love berries. and I usually will only let myself chow on normal fun crap during the weekend.