PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunt

Covey_Rider
04-25-10, 01:19 PM
So I've been job hunting now for a few months. Looking for a position around the DC area. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferring something along the lines of security, however I'm open for most anything. Love learning new things...

Ed Palmer
04-25-10, 01:28 PM
:DWell if your in the D C area all you have to is find some taxpayers to fund you
while you go around lying, cheating,stealing and anything else that's illegal.
Mabe you could replace Murtha or Kennady.:D

Covey_Rider
04-25-10, 03:21 PM
That's probably the best answer I've gotten from anyone haha.

Phantom Blooper
04-25-10, 03:40 PM
Chiquita Banana is hiring they have many job openings in many fields on their website.

Headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio, there are 23,000 employees and operations on six continents.

A hop....skip...and a banana peel slide from DC.

And since you are the king....you may rate some seniority.:banana:

:evilgrin:

Komenko
04-25-10, 04:08 PM
Hey Covey its tough out there right now but if your still Active Duty you are doing the right thing by looking now instead of when you get out like others I've seen. Keep going with Government service. You've givin 4 years might as well keep it going! check this site out. Its where I got hired on from for working on Pendleton!

https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/index.asp

Accord
04-25-10, 05:04 PM
Reenlist, lat move.

SGT7477
04-25-10, 06:31 PM
Reenlist, lat move.
Looks like you moved up another rank, Congrats, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

USNAviator
04-25-10, 06:59 PM
Cpl.

Can't help you with you job search but I'd advise if you're looking at the D.C. area, look Government. The Fed is always hiring but you'll need to research how to write a resume and application to the Federal Government standards. It's not a typical civilian application and they tend to take their sweet time hiring, but once in never out.

I spent the last 9 years of my career working and living in N. Virginia(Pentagon). All of the area (D.C, Virginia, Maryland) is extremely expensive. I was an O-5 and all we could afford, close in, was a townhouse. Forget buying a house.

Also the traffic is horrendous. The I-495 belt around D.C. is 6 lanes in each direction and is a parking lot from 06:00 to 10:00 and again from 15:00 till 19:00. Get close to your work if you can

Just looked at your profile. You are an E-4 , 21 years old? Why not stay in and do your 20? When you get out, you'll be 37-38 and a whole world will open up to you. Think about getting that retired pay check every month. Think about the great benefits from Tricare. OK, not getting paid to recruit. lol

Good luck to you whatever you do and thank you for serving our country

Dan

Covey_Rider
04-26-10, 06:42 AM
MOS- To answer your question, I'm getting out because I'm a little burnt out. I've been on 3 tours in the past 3 1/2 years and was stationed overseas up until this last June. I'm not complaining at all, I loved it. However I can't lat move because right now the Marine Corps needs engineers. I can't go to a non-deployable unit either...I want something new and I have different goals set out for long term employment.

Phantom Blooper
04-26-10, 06:53 AM
I know working for Chiquita Banana does sound unpeeling to you....but if you get on with corporate security you may may be able to see exotic places in the world on your own terms.:banana:

With your military training,background and time served.... if you don't want to stay active I would consider a stint in the reserves to have the security that you can fall back on.....and are used to.:evilgrin:

thewookie
04-26-10, 09:08 AM
Domenic - The Corps is definitely gonna lose a good one if you go, think long and hard and explore all your options. Talk to the special assignments monitor and explore the options out there. You have a nice foundation built and could write your own ticket. But you could also do that from a number of avenues.

As far as working in the DC beltway area -- I would definitely agree with MOS1310 - be prepared for major traffic headaches. I just came back from a business trip there last week and it took me OVER 2 hours to get on the highway in some rainy rush hour traffic, and my hotel was only 1.7 miles away. If I wasn't going to Quantico to see my boy Will,, I would have turned around. Bad traffic is an understatement.

If you are looking at going overseas for security work I have a few friends doing that and I would be more than happy to pass your resume along to. Both are with BW and have good internal connections, and they make very good money -- but that goes without saying. Let me know. I will forward it with pleasure.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Don't leave a rock unturned and use the connections you have. If you have a good clearance, and I'm sure you do, that will help you a lot. Get your passport and keep in touch.

:banana: Semper Fi

Lynn2
04-26-10, 09:23 AM
Its tough out there.

And while the govt may be hiring that is not an easy gig to get. Be prepared for lots of looking, lots of applying, and a fairly long wait to get started. Unless you know someone on the inside in a position that can help you in the actual hiring.

My youngest just started on some intel work for the fed govt. He already had a Top Secret from his Fleet time. It took him 8-9 months just to get his clearance (OK it was a very high clearance) before he could start work.

And then despite all his degrees and fleet time and other stuff he still starts out at a fairly low level.

I'd think long and hard on this one before you jump.

Lisa 23
04-26-10, 12:25 PM
weberyield....you're posting in the wrong forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines only.

Covey_Rider
04-26-10, 01:50 PM
Wookie, thanks for the info. As soon as I get back stateside I'll email it to you. I should be back in about 4-5 days.

Everyone else, I appreciate the input. I really don't have any clue what it's like back in the states right now, I've been out of touch for quite awhile now.

tdrt
04-26-10, 02:32 PM
I agree with Wookie -- it's all about the networking. Traditional methods of sending in countless resumes, etc. don't cut it anymore. You may get lucky, but it's a long haul.

Covey_Rider
04-26-10, 02:35 PM
I'm networking all I can, BELIEVE me haha.