PDA

View Full Version : 03 Infantry & Avatar Graduate from Boot COUNTDOWN

JChristin
09-07-03, 06:30 PM
DAY FIVE

On September 12th, 03Infantry will graduate boot in San Diego. He has told me his life has changed so far while in boot. I bet it has. Can't wait for him to come back here and share with everyone his experiences.

If Avatar has stayed the course, and everything being equal, he too should be graduating on or about September 12th, at Parris Island - as they both shipped out the same day.

If all these worked out well for both, we'll get a wealth of information from these two new Marines who went off to boot at the same time, one at Parris Island and the other at San Diego.

Hope they both report in here at Leatherneck!

semper fi,
jchristin

:marine:

ProtectnServe
09-07-03, 08:05 PM
In that case I should be moving into Avatars old Company(2nd batt. Golf Co. I believe), maybe I will even get the same DI's.

JChristin
09-08-03, 11:17 AM
DAY FOUR:

Well,

Our two recruit Marines are getting anxious about this time. Freedom is soon at hand. They've jumped through a lot of "hoops" and crawled through a lot of mud to get this far. They have learned the meaning of becoming a Marine - yet just can't be called one - just yet!

Oh the memories!

semper fi,
jchristin

RoboRobinson17
09-08-03, 01:41 PM
I can honestly say that this is the most boring week - from full constant activity to doing paper work, and knowing that you will soon be with your families. I think it was the longest four days of boot camp, with the exception of waiting for my Drill Instructors to pick us up! I hope they make it ok.

SF,

Joe

JChristin
09-10-03, 12:21 PM
DAY THREE
AND COUNTING DOWN:

Well 03 Infantry and Avatar

The two of you are gearing up to come home - hopefully - for a few days. There are a few poolees waiting to hear from you, especially all about your experience. What an ideal opportunity. To hear from one who went to San Diego and the other to Parris Island. The two of you can compare experiences for the benefit of the poolees, as well as to entertain those of us who have already been.

Wish I could be at each of your graduations. I know that our old friend Bones feels the same. Here is part of what he wrote to me and I am sharing with you:

"I'm damn proud of Matt and Brian! You can tell 'em I said so! I wanta know how they're doin'! I wanta know friggin' everything! LOL. F cking Marines! ...ain't that somethin'. I knew they could do it!"

I know you will both serve the Marine Corps well and make those of us who went before proud.

03 Infantry, I know your parents are proud of you. I'm proud of your parents for supporting your decision to join the finest military branch since the time of the romans. It may not always be easy for them in the future, what with all the world hot spots going on, and I know that may be a wee bit distrubing for a parent. Especially knowing that their love one may be sent into harm's way. They have been supportive of your decision, now you may learn to become supportive of them and their love for you.

Can't wait to hear from both of you. Guess we'll have to!

semper fi,
jchristin

CAS3
09-10-03, 01:08 PM
One to "real" boot camp and one to San Diego...
gee I can't wait to hear about it too!!

Not looking to start anything with the Hollywood Marines but I am of the opinion that PI is much harder on a person mentally. And physically, if the sand fleas don't bite the crap out of you while you are being dug, you can get through it!!!

GySgtRet
09-10-03, 02:14 PM
It would be interesting to hear thesea stories from the different coasts. I hope that they post here too. Parris Island is the only place that Marines are made....!!!!

Semper Fidelis

JChristin
09-10-03, 05:55 PM
Oh my God,

CAS and I are in complete agreement on something? I need the smelling salts.

I need a drink, no - the whole bar.

Just to hear everybodies story as soon as they arrive back, that would do just fine!

Okay 03Infantry and Avatar - don't make us come lookin for you. We're Marines and we will find you if need be!

semper fi,
jchristin

JChristin
09-11-03, 04:24 PM
Day Two and Day One

The Countdown Continues:

Hey - who around here remember these two "former" poolees, Now Marines - if they toed the line, jumped through all the hoops, and learned to become non-entities only to be rebuilt as US Marines.

Today, I venture to assume, they are talkin to their boot buddies in a way they hadn't before. They all survived an life changing event that they lived through, a nightmare at the first, a nightmare in the middle, and now - it's in the past, they made it. Pushing paper work, getting gear ready to ship off, and getting ready for tomorrow - the big day. For those with family attending the big day tomorrow, they are visiting with them. For those without family to watch them graduate, like I was, I focused on my best boot buddies parents as subsititutes for my own. Its a day to feel proud, like no other.

Okay, 03 Infantry and Avatar. Get your behinds back here and tell us about your "vacation" to the Marine Corps two finest resorts.

semper fi,
jchristin

JChristin
09-12-03, 01:55 PM
THE DAY

Well, just about this time pacific time: 1200hrs, they are finding freedom from underneath the dictatorship of their drill instructors.

If they experienced anything like I did, and what many of us felt, pure happiness and joy at completing something that just seemed like it was going to go on for ever and ever. They now know the pride many of us feel when talking about our "beloved Marine Corps."

Today is their day. For 03Infantry, Avatar and the men and women who share this day as their graduation from basic training. This is their day. No other like it - its their new birthday, for they are Marines.

Oh well, no one tell them the all the hard stuff is just about to begin. Let's allow them a few day of R&R, they've earned it. Your old buddy Sgt. Bones is proud of you both.

Congratulations 03Infantry and Avatar, job well done.

semper fi,
jchristin

yellowwing
09-12-03, 03:07 PM
It's good to see our blood replenished! The adventure is just beginning for those lucky bucks. Sand fleas were the least of my problems at Parris Island!

Anyone taking bets that they'll graduate as PFCs?

09-13-03, 04:18 AM
Well I'm finally home. I hate that damn Island and everything on it!!! Actually, I was kind of sad to leave, Sand Fleas were a pain, but Fire Ants were worse, wow those things can bite. I just got in the door after a 17 hour car ride so I'm a little tired, I'll give you my boot story tomorrow, 03 should be here by then to. Tell you one thing though, cried on the parade deck at Graduation and the EGA ceremony. Tell you the whole story later.

Semper Fi Marines, OORAAH!

JChristin
09-13-03, 04:41 AM
WELCOME HOME MARINE!

KNEW YOU COULD MAKE IT!

We are all so proud of you.

Welcome home.

Looking forward hearing your boot stories. Don't forget to post your Marine pic in the gallery!

semper fi brother Marine,

jchristin

Sixguns
09-13-03, 06:04 AM
Now you know the pride and respect we all have for our Corps. Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood.

SF,

GySgtRet
09-13-03, 10:40 AM

Semper Fidelis

thedrifter
09-13-03, 10:51 AM
Congraulations Marine!!!

Welcome to the Brotherhood/Sisterhood.....

So when do we see your bootcamp pic....?...;)

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

yellowwing
09-13-03, 12:11 PM
This young buck is one of us now. All it took was the motivation to donate 23 gallons of sweat, blood, and tears. Welcome aboard Marine!

lurchenstein
09-13-03, 12:16 PM
Welcome back as highly motivated, hard-charging U.S. Marines!

03Infantry
09-13-03, 02:08 PM
Well here is the newest devil dog on this site. Just letting all you poolees know that bootcamp is definitly worth how I feel right now.

SEMPER FIDELIS

JChristin
09-13-03, 04:04 PM
HEy 03 INFANTRY:

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! YOU AND AVATAR ARE BROTHER MARINES NOW.

CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT YOUR VACATION DOWN THERE IN CALIFORNIA AND AVATARS VACATION AT PARRIS ISLAND.

BONES IS PROUD OF YOU TOO! HE TOLD ME TO SHARE THAT WITH BOTH OF YOU.

BET YOUR PARENTS ARE PROUD.

HOW LONG ARE YOU BOTH ON LEAVE?

SEMPER FI,
JCHRISTIN

thedrifter
09-13-03, 04:37 PM
Congraulations Marine !!!

Welcome to the Brotherhood/Sisterhood.....

So when do we see your bootcamp pic....?...

Sempers,

Roger

03's Parent
09-14-03, 12:48 AM
we are on leave for 10 days. Stories.........................oh you don't even want to know!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

SEMPER FI DEVIL DOGS

JChristin
09-14-03, 01:17 AM
Okay 03,

We're in the same neighborhood - don't make me come lookin for you Private and make me pluck those stories out of you!

Bet your time spent with family and friends is real special now. Bet it even feels better to sleep past 0445. Sleep - isn't it a valued commonity not realized until you get to boot!

So what was you first few days like?

I'll be calling you in a few days - you owe me coffee. But it has to be a nice day as I'll be riding my bike across the Columbia. Its a blast to cruise back to the Oregon side on the I-205 bridge. The bike path is right in the center of that long bridge. I was peddling away going 40 mph. Never rode my bike that fast.

Hey Avatar, where did you go? Tell us about Parris Island, its changed a lot I hear since I was there in the 80's. The Old DI School burnt down I heard.

Rest up you two, you earned it.

semper fi,
jchristin

03Infantry
09-14-03, 01:19 AM
We definitly will see each other. Do you know how to put a damn dress blue belt together?

Caesar Augustus
09-14-03, 11:48 AM
hey 03 what was SD like? CONGRATS on becoming a Marine.:D :banana:

JChristin
09-14-03, 07:15 PM

What is your question about putting together a belt for the dress blues. Women Marine uniforms are slightly different from the Male Marines, at least that was how it was like back in the 80's. If you are asking me to knit one for you, forget it. I knitted a scarf for my youngest son, when he was in kindengarden. Its been a family joke ever since. But I bet we can do it!

semper fi,
jchrisitin

03Infantry
09-14-03, 11:19 PM
Thanks Lnce Crpl but I got it. Ceaser parts of bootcamp suck but you will do lots of things that you know people back at home will probably not do that in their live. What part of bootcamp do you wanna know about ????????? Oh recieving and 1st phase are the worst. Other than that you get used to it. Any questions you got and I will answer them.

firstsgtmike
09-15-03, 12:24 AM
03Infantry,

Would you have believed us if we had told you that "receiving" and the 1st phase was the worst? Everyones attention is focused on the Crucible.

Can you explain why the "receiving:" phase was the worst? I never could.

Welcome, Marine!

Caesar Augustus
09-15-03, 07:16 AM
did u have to do the new schedule with the crucible being on the 8th week. how was that. Also how many ppl were dropped due to injury? how easy was it to get hurt?
thx

CrazyBrave83
09-15-03, 10:43 AM
Yeah I suppose that's one of my worries too...I have a formerly injured knee. I think it'll make it but I also can't be 100% sure. So Avatar and 03...how hard is boot on the knees?

Congrats to both of you. I'll be down at PI in Dec.

Caesar Augustus
09-15-03, 11:52 AM
I'll be in SD in Jan. Also what was rifle week like. I've heard its stressful is it? What type of stuff did you have to memorize? stuff like the articles in the UCMJ etc?
thx

03Infantry
09-15-03, 01:01 PM
Lets see. The reason recieving is so hard is that you realize that everything you were in control of is gone. All civilian things are just stripped away and you realize nothing will ever be the...

09-15-03, 04:41 PM
Recieving also sucks because your homesick, deprived of sleep, and if your anything like most of my platoon your scared ****less...It just takes time to adjust to the lifestyle, thats why first phase is so tough.
And Ceaser, whoever told you Rifle week was stressful is a moron, its the most relaxing time we had. The PMI's want you relaxed because you shoot better then when your all stressed out. My platoon only dropped one recruit, he tripped on a pot hole during a run and broke his ankle. The Crucible is still at the end, and to tell you the truth, I enjoyed it. You get some awsome training, the whole Crucible is all about teaching you to work as a team, because you cant do any of it on your own. The week that sucked the most was probably Swim week. I like to swim, but not in full combat gear. (cammies, boots, kevlar, flak jacket, war belt, rifle, alice pack) And for what you have to memorize, EVERYTHING. History, USMC, General Orders, First Aid, Navy+Marine ranks, General Military Knowledge. Its easy though, nothing to worry about there, they have diddies for everything you need to know. Well I gotta go do some family stuff, be on later tonight.

Semper Fi Marines

Caesar Augustus
09-15-03, 07:03 PM
thx guys I thought some platoons in SD were going on a modified schedule. anything else you can think of to tell me is greatly appreciated
Congrats guys!

03Infantry
09-16-03, 01:18 AM
Caesar platoons at San Diego ARE on a modified schedule. You have 5 weeks down south (mcrd), 4 up north (Camp Pendelton, that includes the crucible) and then 4 back down south. Don't worry about the crucible. My platoon had fire watch the night before the reaper, we did fine. It is all mind games. I still thought recieving was harder than the crucible. The reaper isn't that bad, the first hill sucks but then it levels out. Don't look up and just think about other things. I thought about what my friends were probably doing at that moment (well tried to guess) and then played movies in my head. THe hump to the reaper is way worse than the reaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 07:17 AM
lol thats good advice 03 thx. Now I'm just tryin to stay motivated so i dont slack off in preparing. Jan cant come soon enough. Do you know where most Marines are stationed first after their mos training?
thx

03Infantry
09-16-03, 09:40 AM
It depends. My mos, Infantry, I will either be depoyed or more than likely at CAmp Pendelton. You (I think) have a big chance of being stationed at camp pendelton or Okinawa japan. It is easy to stay motivated on this web site.

Lake0300
09-16-03, 11:14 AM
Exactly how has life changed? Is bootcamp anything like you expected? And is life as a Marine anything like you expected? Lastly, anything you wish you would've done or learned how to do before boot?

Congratulations on everything you've accomplished!

TJR1070
09-16-03, 11:24 AM
Congratulations Marines!

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

03Infantry
09-16-03, 11:30 AM
Thanks Corporal. Life has changed alot. You grow up alot, and have alot more respect for things. Also anytime another Marine see's you they come up to you and it is like you have known each other for years. It is AWESOME!!! Bootcamp was different kind of. I didn't expect to have that much discipline. Bootcamp is good to go. Being a Marine is way better than you could expect. Nothing like being a Devil Dog

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 11:57 AM
Do you know anyone in 44 legal spec. that my mos now that i've switched over to active.
thx This is a great site and a lot more active than any others I've seen

03Infantry
09-16-03, 02:28 PM
I don't now anything about 44 legal Spec. Sorry

SEMPER FIDELIS

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 04:53 PM
thx anyways for telling me about your experience at boot camp!
Any other tips you feel are important I am definately open to thx

03Infantry
09-16-03, 05:22 PM
Practice Mountain climbers, study Marine Corps knowledge. PT lots and practice standing alot. Don't ever say you to a DI, it gets ugly.

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 06:20 PM
rgr on the you part. always speak in the 3rd person. Mnt climbers are what? We used to do em in football but I've slpet since then. could you refresh my memory on them. How expactly could I practice standing and drill?
thx

03Infantry
09-16-03, 06:35 PM
Um just try to be active alot. Don't be lazy because you don't do that at bootcamp. Mtn climbers- your in the pushup position but you have one leg back extended and one bent up with your toe touching the back of your hand. Then bring the extended leg up while extending the other out (REPEAT). Drill don't practice. You will do it SO much it will be like second nature. You won't have to think to do it.

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 06:47 PM
that what i thought they were just could remember for sure thx. The hardest thing for me in drill is halt. I am always off one step. Doesnt help that our squad ldr is way taller than me.

03Infantry
09-16-03, 07:01 PM
that could definitly have an effect. Just take a bigger step and be prepared when you hear the prepatory command.

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 08:02 PM
he goes halt step freeze but i always freeze one step to soon cause i anticipate. i gotta learn not to do that. What was the hardest part about drill?

Caesar Augustus
09-16-03, 09:47 PM
hey what is harder pushups with a wide set or pushups with your arms close together. i think it close together is harder? figured you'd know.
thx

yellowwing
09-17-03, 12:12 AM
Wide taxes the chest more, narrow pumps the triceps. Its all good for the cardio and attitude reinforcement! :)

"Also anytime another Marine see's you they come up to you and it is like you have known each other for years. " - how very true 03Infantry!

I ran into another Marine in New Orleans. Immediately we broke into smokin and jokin swapping sea stories.

03Infantry
09-17-03, 12:59 AM
Yes corporal. I was in San Diego and some salty Marines from way back in the day came and we swapped bootcamp stories. I didn't matter that back in the day they had been officers. We were all devil dogs.

09-17-03, 10:52 PM
Ceasar, the Biggest thing is water, drink LOTS of water! Especially in the winter becase its harder to tell if your dehidrated in the cold. And being a Marine is well worth all the pain, blood, sweat, and tears you go through at boot camp. It changes your life so much. Im glad I didnt have a girlfriend when i was in though, alot of the guys in my platoon got dumped cause they're GF's couldn't wait for them. Hey if that hurricane nails North Carolina would there be a possibility thatId get extra leave time? I heard they were started to evacuate the place.

firstsgtmike
09-18-03, 04:39 AM
"Hey if that hurricane nails North Carolina would there be a possibility thatId get extra leave time? I heard they were started to evacuate the place."

That is a GOOD question. It depends upon when your leave is up.

If the base is still evacuated when you are due to report in, I would suggest a telegram. Explain that you are reporting in from boot camp and request instructions. Keep a copy of the telegram response to over your butt. If you try to handle it by phone, and your orders are modified, request a telegram for confirmation.

Base evacuation will be of very short duration, only a day or two. Don't try to use the hurricane as an excuse unless it is a valid one.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 07:41 AM
what was the moment of truth like?

03Infantry
09-18-03, 10:54 AM
The moment of truth is actually not what you expect. You are so tired that you really arn't sure what is happening. In all you probably do the moment of truth like 5 times. They keep asking you over and over to make sure you don't change your mind.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 11:52 AM
oh i have no past to tell. My recruiter messes with me about being to clean because I've never had a ticket

09-18-03, 07:22 PM
the moment of truth is when your all sitting in a classroomw and a big guy(i forget what his rank is) gets up on stage and tells you that if you have ANYTHING you didnt already disclose then after he's done talking you have to get up on stage and tell it. Everyone who doesnt leaves the room. They pretty much send everyone that goes up home. Dont worry about what the guy says, if you have anything left to tell, keep your fat mouth shut. They won't find out anyway, the recruiters run your backgreound checks and make sure your good to go before they send you. And if there's anything you have left, tell the guy at MEPS, not Boot Camp.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-03, 07:42 PM
whats the night infiltration course like at PI. I'll never know cause I'm goin SD. How bad are the sand fleas?:D