PDA

View Full Version : Hair today, gone tomorrow

thedrifter
09-07-03, 10:25 AM
Hair today, gone tomorrow
Submitted by: 6th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 2003951435
Story by Sgt. Josh Higgins

RECRUITING STATION ATLANTA(Aug. 8, 2003) -- Nearly two years ago Caleb M. Little began letting his hair grow long for reasons many other teenage boys do; to be different. Six months later and after learning about an organization seeking hair donors, he discovered another reason.

Little, a Bremen High School graduate in the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program, donated his hair Aug. 8 to Locks of Love, a not-for-profit agency that provides hairpieces to children with medical hair loss. Since its establishment in 1997, the organization has helped more than 1,000 children, many who suffer from an auto-immune condition called alopecia areata, for which there is no known cause or cure.

"When I heard about Locks of Love from a friend in school, I had already decided to join the Marine Corps and knew at basic training my hair would be shaved off anyway," said Little. "I researched the (organization) and found out its purpose is to help rebuild confidence in children with hair loss so I decided to become a donor."

Little, along with his parents David and Karen, presented the idea to his recruiter Sgt. Kevin Brooks, who made arrangements for the haircut to take place at a nearby salon.

"I think this is a great thing Caleb is doing," said Brooks. "This type of dedication and commitment is the starting point to being a good Marine."

Several members of Little's family also gathered to watch what seemed to be an almost ceremonious event. His father David said he felt honored to cut the first strands of hair.

"I cut this young man's umbilical cord 18 years ago, and I'm extremely proud to cut the first lock of hair today," said David.

Though Little admitted to being nervous before the cut, he said it was definitely time to part with the hair.

"After a while its length became a pain to deal with," he said. "I just kept reminding myself of why I was growing it out, and how my donation could help a child who can't grow hair."

With a new look and a feeling of accomplishment, Little said he is now looking forward to becoming a Marine. He said the opportunity to serve his country is why he chose to join the military, but it was something else that drew him to the 'Corps.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to see different parts of the country or go overseas, but most of all I look forward to the honor, chivalry and prestige that comes with being a Marine."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20039514533/$file/hair2lr.jpg

Caleb M. Little, a Bremen, Ga. High School graduate, smiles while Kelly Morris shaves banded strands of hair from his head Aug. 8. Little, set to attend recruit training at Paris Island, S.C., donated his hair to Locks of Love, a non-profit agency that provides hairpieces to children with medical hair loss.
Photo by: Sgt. Josh Higgins

The Drifter
:marine: