PDA

View Full Version : How do I get personal awards information

lmholmes11
04-18-10, 07:24 PM
I had my C&P exam a couple of weeks ago, and for my PTSD claim, the doctor was a little concerned that my Combat Action Ribbon was not listed on my DD-214. It is not listed because my DD-214 was printed off and issued to me before I was awarded the CAR (it took a while). I can log into my Marine Online account (online database of all personal information) and the CAR is listed on there and I am authorized to wear it. The VA should have access to this to verify my CAR shouldn't they?

tdrt
04-18-10, 08:12 PM
I had my C&P exam a couple of weeks ago, and for my PTSD claim, the doctor was a little concerned that my Combat Action Ribbon was not listed on my DD-214. It is not listed because my DD-214 was printed off and issued to me before I was awarded the CAR (it took a while). I can log into my Marine Online account (online database of all personal information) and the CAR is listed on there and I am authorized to wear it. The VA should have access to this to verify my CAR shouldn't they?

oh, ya, they have access to that. No worries.

Troutzilla
04-18-10, 09:25 PM

The C&P Doc doesn't have access to it, the rater who is working on your claim and developing it has access to all sorts of info....if it is indeed in your records he/she will see it. Are you using a VSO ? Mention it to him/her. If you aren't using a VSO you might want to consider it..check here....http://www1.va.gov/vso/index.cfm?template=view

Good luck to you....

hrscowboy
04-18-10, 10:34 PM
The raters very seldom look at the CAR award they are looking at the stressers that was put down in the first of the claim to see if these stressers can be verified. I just helped a brother get his 100% thats took him 5 years to get and the raters didnt even check to see that he had been shoot in the head and had a purple heart. Remember these raters are not doctors all they can rate is what the doctors put in your records.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-19-10, 04:24 AM
However, a "CAR" is considered 'proof positive' evidence. They are 'supposed' to go by that alone (and your other documented 'issues' RE PTSD). Same with a PH, etc. So it does help.

Print off, if you can, your MOL and include it.

Troutzilla
04-19-10, 05:26 AM
However, a "CAR" is considered 'proof positive' evidence. They are 'supposed' to go by that alone (and your other documented 'issues' RE PTSD). Same with a PH, etc. So it does help.

Print off, if you can, your MOL and include it.

This is a very true statement. All the rater looked at was my CAR and PH and the stressors were conceded.If you have any type of Valor award....CAR,PH,BS,SS etc.....the stressor is a given. No buddy letters or after action reports to locate...although it is nice to have a letter or two in support of your claim....it doesn't hurt.

Semper Fi

:flag:

Troutzilla
04-19-10, 05:35 AM
The raters very seldom look at the CAR award they are looking at the stressers that was put down in the first of the claim to see if these stressers can be verified. I just helped a brother get his 100% thats took him 5 years to get and the raters didnt even check to see that he had been shoot in the head and had a purple heart. Remember these raters are not doctors all they can rate is what the doctors put in your records.

As I understand it the raters now try to expedite the claim process by cutting down on the research of info when developing a claim...therefore concession is a key factor in moving the process along as quickly as possible ( if that is possible for the VA )....it helps to alleviate some of the backlog of claims. It was done in my claim for PTSD and other Vets that I know.....

lmholmes11
04-19-10, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys, I have printed off all of my awards from my account and I have mailed them to my regional office.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-21-10, 07:49 PM
Good deal. Hope you mailed them 'certified', 'return receipt requested', AND made copies.

FYI, my claim went in, in October, and I'm still getting the 'we have it and sorry for the delay' letters. No C&P scheduled yet, either. But, I'm told this is typical and I shouldn't be surprised.