PDA

View Full Version : Marine Cpl. First Blind Double-Amputee to Re-Enlist !!!

Rocky C
04-17-10, 02:03 PM
By Natalie Bailey - Medill News Service
Posted : Saturday Apr 17, 2010 9:42:40 EDT
<FORM id=hidden> </FORM>
Three years ago, Cpl. Matt Bradford lost both legs and his vision after a bomb blast in Iraq. Despite these devastating injuries, Bradford had no interest in retreating to civilian life. He wanted to continue his Marine career.

Bradford recently got his wish when he became the first blind double-amputee to re-enlist in the Corps.

In January 2007, the 23-year-old was on patrol near Hadithah when a bomb exploded under him.
“I thought if I got hurt that bad in Iraq, I’d rather just die,” he said. “But I regret having thought that — I’ve been able to do some amazing things since then.”

He spent the next couple of years in various therapies, growing accustomed to walking with his new prosthetic legs. Learning how to do this without his vision was the hardest part for Bradford, whose wounds were so extensive doctors thought he wouldn’t survive.

“At first I couldn’t walk a straight line because of the blindness,” he said. The loss of his sight took a few months to settle in, said Bradford’s mom, Debbie. Everything got easier when he arrived at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Bradford said.

Less than two years after losing his legs, Bradford completed last year’s Marine Corps Marathon on a hand cycle. He also led the Tunnel to Towers race in New York City and received the George Van Cleave Military Leadership Award at the 48th USO Armed Forces Gala.
Now, he’s living a life he considers to be independent.

Bradford pursued Permanent Limited Duty status and re-enlisted for another four years in an April 7 ceremony in San Antonio.
“From the day that he first came out of the coma from being hurt, I knew he wanted to stay in the Marines,” his mom said. “I think it’s been a godsend for him to work toward this.”

Bradford will switch from infantry to public relations and be assigned to Wounded Warrior Battalion East at Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he will encourage other wounded troops during their recovery. “I just want to show them that no matter what injuries they’ve got, they’re still alive.”

As the first blind double-amputee to re-enlist, Bradford paves the way for others, his mom said. “He could have felt sorry for himself. He could have wanted to get out of the Marines and just do nothing,” she added. “Having someone with these types of injuries stay in the service shows the Marines are making changes.”

Capt. Leticia Reyes, a spokeswoman for the Wounded Warrior Regiment in Quantico, Va., first met Bradford in 2008 and has followed his accomplishments since. “His re-enlistment … sets the stage for other Marines to follow,” she said. “He’ll help to really set their focus on their abilities and not their disabilities — for all Marines, not just those who are injured.”

usmc3521
04-17-10, 10:14 PM
great to hear that this Marine is in good spirits but its bull**** in my opinion that they let him re enlist. I cant even begin to count the number of prior service Marines with amazing service records being tunred down to re enlist because of tattoos, or all the Marines trying to get back on AD but cant because the Corps is overfilled on AD with a bunch of sandbaggers that do the bare minimum and just collect a paycheck.