PDA

View Full Version : Wrong rank on DD214!!!

cltusmc72
04-17-10, 01:25 AM
Ok Devil Dogs, this is gonna sound really bad since I've been off of active duty since 1997. I was looking around on Yahoo answers and found a question about how long it takes to get promoted to...

Rocky C
04-17-10, 06:01 AM
I think your Shiat out of Luck on that one...
The key word in your Post is " Supposed"...

thewookie
04-17-10, 07:02 AM
This is a joke, right? You are worried on the Internet about $600 bucks from 1997. Did you ever take math for Marines? Good luck.

Mongoose
04-17-10, 08:01 AM
I got a letter from St. Louis a month after being discharged. They said they over paid me 80 dollars at the time of my seperation. Wanted me to take care of it. I laughed about it. But the fact was I...

William Hardy
04-17-10, 08:20 AM
I agree with RI - you are SOL. The problem is that just because they can does not mean they have to...After your office hours, we have no way of knowing what your superiors thought of you. Just because you meet the TIG doesn't mean they have to promote you. If any one person didn't want to recommend you, you are SOL. On the other hand, if they want to promote you they can waive any TIG, TIS and promote you anyway. Not to brag, but but back in 68 when I had office hours, I was on a one-year suspended bust. 5 months later it was waived and I was promoted 7 months before the suspension was up. In 1973, while I was still wet behind the ears, I got promoted ahead of schedule to SSgt. I was like way down at the bottom of the below zone almost dead last if not last on the list. At the same time, I was assigned promotion number 65 out of 2500+ promotions for the year. Same thing happend happened when I made Gunny. Bust you butt and show a good attitude and you wouldn't be making this post. Sounds like you want something for nothing.

Sorry dude!

mcvet57103
04-17-10, 08:43 AM
Never went through Office Hours, but I was one of those Marines who just did the minimum required for my rank, no more no less. Spent 2 years, and 4 months as a LCpl. Then a Sgt I had known on Oki got tranfered to my company at Lejeune. He was a PFC when I got my LCpl. He was assigned as my platoon leader. He asked me why I was still a LCpl and I told him, no offence intended, but I don't kiss no azz to get promoted, I just do my job. He laughed and said he'd take care of it. He took one of his meritorious promotion recommendations, retyped it with my name instead of his, submitted it, and within a week I was before the board, and got meritorious Cpl. I didn't get back pay, I just delt with it. Like the Gunny said, just because you're eligible doesn't mean you deserve it. Your, SOL buddy. SF

Vandrel
04-17-10, 11:10 AM
Chances are you were non-rec'd for promotion and that's why you didn't pick up before EAS. Technically they should have counceled you if that's the case but things happen and not always in right way....

usmc3521
04-17-10, 10:18 PM
send your case to BCNR(board of corrections/naval records) its your only option or you can try to contact the seperation and retirement division at HQMC with your case

rheinmark187
04-17-10, 10:43 PM
Chances are you were non-rec'd for promotion and that's why you didn't pick up before EAS. Technically they should have counceled you if that's the case but things happen and not always in right way. It sucks but it's probably a case where you got a non-rec and just didn't know.

That's probably it. I don't see why people are leaning on non-recs for not getting promoted. I remember getting non-recced for lance corporal 2x because I was gone so much they didn't even know who I was or why I was gone. I came back from deployment and someone asked me if I had gotten back from the brig lol.:D
It didn't stop me from being promoted after that.:D