PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a question

LCplGriMM
04-16-10, 07:52 AM
I am a LCpl who has been in the Marine Corps for 3 years now. I am almost positive about what i am about to ask but was trying to see if anyone concurred with me. Ive been told by my Sgt that shop functions are mandatory. But the only order i have found has stated that the USMC Ball is mandatory if the CO directs it. Does anyone know if there is an order saying that i have to go out with my shop to eat and sling some bull with them. Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

BR34
04-16-10, 07:55 AM
If it's your appointed place of duty you have to be there, period.

Old Marine
04-16-10, 08:52 AM
If it is a Marine Corps function, then yes you are required to be there.

If it is your off duty time, then no you do not have to attend if its a grab ass session.

This is how it used to be and maybe now it has changed.

Dragonscript
04-16-10, 12:21 PM
If your Sgt told you to be there, then you are required to be there. If for some reason you think it isn't a lawful order then don't follow it and report it to either your squad leader or Plt. Sgt. Just remember, if you don't think you can justify yourself before The Man then just do what you're told.

As a side note, it sounds like it is a just a grab ass function to build a little familiarity within the unit. If you have a scheduling conflict, you are wanting to get a little strange, then just ask if you can get out of it but if you don't want to hang out with them then you have a real issue. You need to either tell the Sgt. that you don't want to hang, and accept the repercussions from such a move, or just suck it up.

Quinbo
04-16-10, 02:00 PM
If it is mandatory fun then you at least have to show eat a hot dog and leave. The alternative could be sitting on phone watch while everyone else goes.

hussaf
04-16-10, 02:22 PM
If it is mandatory fun then you at least have to show eat a hot dog and leave. The alternative could be sitting on phone watch while everyone else goes.

That's typically what we do with the Ball...if you don't want to play, you can help park cars and be on watch.

Pretty much if you refuse to not go on shop socials you are saying 'F-u" to your team...not a good idea without a good reason. If this is something that's done only once and a great while...I would highly recommend attending. If its something the person organizing it does all the time because he doesn't have any real friends to hang out with...maybe see if you can get out of it if you have something more pressing to attend.

gwamo1
04-16-10, 03:16 PM
Everyone seems to be giving the most random answers. No, it is not mandatory to go out to eat with them. It really is that simple. But yea, you should go just to seem like a team player.

echo3oscar1833
04-16-10, 03:40 PM
I don't see what the big o deal is in not wanting to go. Hell you get to hangout with guys from your unit, swap sea stories, probably throw back some beers, and build some unit cohesion. Nothing wrong with it, you'll regret not going to those functions later in life when your out. I know I miss em. Food for thought :D

BR34
04-16-10, 05:16 PM
Everyone seems to be giving the most random answers. No, it is not mandatory to go out to eat with them. It really is that simple. But yea, you should go just to seem like a team player.

It could very well be mandatory. It may not be mandatory that actually EATS anything, but it is quite possible that his attendance is mandatory. For all we know they could be calling it a PME, and making it more than just "mandatory fun".

He needs to ask the Sgt that ordered him to go if it's mandatory. I'm sure that will generate a more concise response.

Marine84
04-16-10, 05:17 PM
No $h!t dude - why wouldn't you want to hang with them? Just for a few hours or so and then take off. Could mean a free buzz. I know I never passed up free drinks!

Danny C Smith
04-16-10, 07:45 PM
Yep, Always attend any and all organized or un-organized
grabazz sessions.
You will be sorry you didn't later if you do not.

Smitty:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-10, 11:53 PM
There are 'mandatory fun' events, such as Unit parties prior to workup, as required by MEU/SOC. <br />
<br />
While you may not WANT to go, if you don't, it's certainly possible you *could* be charged for...

Beltayn
04-17-10, 08:34 AM
Even if it's NOT mandatory.......I'd still advise going. Simply put, if you don't, the Platoon Sergeant is going to ask where you were, and why you weren't there. When you quote regulations to him (and you'll likely be correct), he'll more than likely say "Fine".

Congratuations, you've just bought yourself the next sheet detail, and the one after that, since you have so much 'free' time.This.
Playing barracks lawyer with your chain of command is never a good idea. Even when you are right.

Rocky C
04-17-10, 12:01 PM
:thumbup:EXACTLEY!!!

Danny C Smith
04-17-10, 02:18 PM
:thumbup:EXACTLEY!!!
Yessir, that is in part what I meant about being sorry if don't.

Smitty:usmc: