PDA

View Full Version : Laughing at MCRD

jburke1983
04-15-10, 07:01 PM
Ok, first off I want to say that I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. I really do appreciate all Marines that take their time to answer Poolees questions. This is a legitimate concern of mine...
After watching FULL METAL JACKET again I realized that the SDI says what very well might be the funniest stuff I have ever heard. If Boot Camp is actually similar to this did any of you have trouble not laughing during it? I'm not worried about the IST, PFT, crucible, etc. I am only worried that I wont be able to hear some of this **** without laughing.

polizei
04-15-10, 07:17 PM
Don't worry about it. I can promise you the funniest people you will ever meet in your life will be your instructors (boot, MCT/SOI, MOS, etc). No way around it, you'll laugh, and so will everyone else. And don't worry, you'll get slayed for it too. It's awesome fun though...I still laugh about things my DI's did to me and the platoon.

Lisa 23
04-15-10, 07:21 PM
That's Senior Drill Instructor to you, not SDI.
Go ahead and lose your bearings and laugh while a Drill Instructor is yelling at you or someone else and see what happens...guaranteed you'll be getting quarterdecked until your Drill Instructors can't quarterdeck you any more.
Believe me, you'll learn to control your emotions rather quickly.

echo3oscar1833
04-15-10, 07:29 PM
That's Senior Drill Instructor to you, not SDI.
Go ahead and lose your bearings and laugh while a Drill Instructor is yelling at you or someone else and see what happens...guaranteed you'll be getting quarterdecked until your Drill Instructors can't quarterdeck you any more.
Believe me, you'll learn to control your emotions rather quickly.

Its not that big o deal, there are funny things that happen in Boot, just the name of the game. Maybe not in 4th Bn, but then again I never was in 4th Bn. Now that I think of it being around that many Women who are all mad as hell is probably not that much fun. :D

jburke1983
04-15-10, 07:29 PM
I apologize WMarine... Senior Drill Instructor it is.

Lisa 23
04-15-10, 07:39 PM
Its not that big o deal, there are funny things that happen in Boot, just the name of the game. Maybe not in 4th Bn, but then again I never was in 4th Bn. Now that I think of it being around that many Women who are all mad as hell is probably not that much fun. :D

Believe me Ben, funny things happen in 4th BN too, and I wasn't trying to sound like a smart a$$ with my previous post, but after watching your fellow recruits get quarterdecked for laughing and whatnot, you learn rather quickly to keep a straight face when someone is getting their a$$ chewed out for whatever reasons.
We had one Drill Instructor who did and said things that where quite funny plenty of times. My bunkie and I learned to save the laughing for when we were on free time at night.

Zulu 36
04-15-10, 08:04 PM
Usually things don't start to seem funny until you've been in boot camp for a week or so. Too much going on, too much stress, there is an inability to see the humor in a bad situation. After you've calmed down a bit, some things may seem funny, but you'll mostly control yourself or suffer the consequences of failing to maintain your military bearing.

Plan on suffering some consequences, either caused by you or someone else. In First Phase (especially) all suffer for the misdeeds of one. Stuff happens.

Don't pay too much attention to FMJ. Drill Instructors can't thump you like that anymore, but they do still have ways to make you wish all they did was smack you around a few times.

AAV Crewchief
04-15-10, 08:17 PM
Ok, first off I want to say that I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. I really do appreciate all Marines that take their time to answer Poolees questions. This is a legitimate concern of mine...
After watching FULL METAL JACKET again I realized that the SDI says what very well might be the funniest stuff I have ever heard. If Boot Camp is actually similar to this did any of you have trouble not laughing during it? I'm not worried about the IST, PFT, crucible, etc. I am only worried that I wont be able to hear some of this **** without laughing.

I laughed my ass off...a lot...and paid for it a lot. What's more funny? We used to have GONG shows imitating the Drill Instructors. I was almost a dead ringer for my series commander and got caught imitating him one day by our Senior. Guess who had to put on a show for the series commander? At least he was a Capt with a sense of humor.

thezero
04-15-10, 10:07 PM
Get used to Up, Down, Up, Down AYE SIR!!!!

It's hard to keep your bearing depending on your DI's. I had one that would think of the funniest **** to get you messed up for it... Just don't look at whose getting messed up and try to tune everything out. If your oblivious to everything outside of an order its easy to keep a straight face

Lisa 23
04-15-10, 10:43 PM
All I have to say, is that out of all of things to be concerned about in boot camp, you're only concern is about laughing? Wow!
Be more concerned about getting through the first week or two...receiving, moment of truth, meeting your Drill Instructors, full medical and dental screening, taking your IST, knowing your Marine Corps knowledge, and so on.
In my opinion, don't concern yourselves with things you see and hear in a movie. Full Metal Jacket was made in 1987, and the boot camp part was about a different time and era of the Marine Corps.....and the rest of the movie, during the Vietnam War.

sparkie
04-15-10, 10:48 PM
Guess it was a different Boot. I never laughed. '69 I saw 3 dead by their own violition. One was a self inflicted bayonett to the heart, Saw broke ribs,,,, Jaw,,,,,, Sorry kids, (I ain't laughin.

This thread came from where? I just can't laugh with ya'all. It wasn't fun.

matrix0775
04-15-10, 11:40 PM
My Father used to tell me about basic training when he went through. The Drill Instructors carried a little toy called a ( Swagger stick) and they were not afraid to use it on the sorry pieces of trash that stood before them. You see back then you werent called recruit. You were considered lower than whale crap at the bottom of the ocean. The Marine corps has changed alot from the time My father enlisted in (1967). Dont get me wronge he loves the Marine Corps with all his heart. But he gets a kick out of all the Modern Marines of Now days.. ( Most of them would not last 1 week in vietnam)... That is what my father told me on my graduation day.

temarti
04-16-10, 12:17 AM
I too paid for it, but laughed a lot in boot camp. "self destruct" was all they needed to say, which to was funny as hell. If you don't laugh or find humor in what is going on around you at MCRD then everyday will suck.

Dragonscript
04-16-10, 06:54 AM
When my sister was in boot camp her nickname was giggles because she couldn't help herself but giggle all the time, her graduation book has her smiling in it, but nothing "bad" happened to her because of it.

When i was in boot camp, we had one Instructor loose composure and had to walk to the back of the racks, while we all stood at POA in front of them, until he could control himself. Don't worry, if you thing all that stuff is fun to laugh about then they'll be more than happy to keep you laughing all boot camp long.

AAV Crewchief
04-16-10, 07:05 AM
I too paid for it, but laughed a lot in boot camp. "self destruct" was all they needed to say, which to was funny as hell. If you don't laugh or find humor in what is going on around you at MCRD then everyday will suck.

HAHAH "self-destruct".....LOL I have not heard that in years.

BR34
04-16-10, 07:31 AM
I laughed out loud just now when a recruit standing across the squad bay from me ****ed himself and the DI found out. The recruit said "it was just a little dribble sir". The DI caught himself chuckling, then he went on a rant up and down the squad bay screaming something about dribbling...we ALL laughed, and sure, we got punished for it, but it was worth it.

You'll catch the DIs laughing from time to time also. They try to hide it but recruits are some funny creatures.

BR34
04-16-10, 07:33 AM
Believe me Ben, funny things happen in 4th BN too, and I wasn't trying to sound like a smart a$$ with my previous post, but after watching your fellow recruits get quarterdecked for laughing and whatnot, you learn rather quickly to keep a straight face when someone is getting their a$$ chewed out for whatever reasons.
We had one Drill Instructor who did and said things that where quite funny plenty of times. My bunkie and I learned to save the laughing for when we were on free time at night.

I was listening to a couple of WMarines a few months back remembering their good ole days in 4th together. They told a story about when all the recruits went into the shower to get cleaned up and there was a huge turd laying there on the floor. I don't know if THEY thought that was funny, but I sure laughed. :D

Disgusting 4th. :sick:

Lisa 23
04-16-10, 07:44 AM
I was listening to a couple of WMarines a few months back remembering their good ole days in 4th together. They told a story about when all the recruits went into the shower to get cleaned up and there was a huge turd laying there on the floor. I don't know if THEY thought that was funny, but I sure laughed. :D

Disgusting 4th. :sick:

Never had anything happen like that in my platoon. It was get to the showers....get wet, wash the hair and the body, rinse and get out. Although there were some times when we would forget to shut the blinds on the windows and have a bunch of naked women running around......lol!

BR34
04-16-10, 07:49 AM
Never had anything happen like that in my platoon. It was get to the showers....get wet, wash the hair and the body, rinse and get out. Although there were some times when we would forget to shut the blinds on the windows and have a bunch of naked women running around......lol!

NICE!

...yall actually had blinds? We just had huge windows with no coverings. I guess no one wanted to see us in our tighty whities.

awbrown1462
04-16-10, 07:52 AM
If you laugh be prepared to hear a very unfunny line "bends and MutherFu*kers till I get tired" and may God help you if the D.I. gets a chair

Lisa 23
04-16-10, 09:16 AM
NICE!

...yall actually had blinds? We just had huge windows with no coverings. I guess no one wanted to see us in our tighty whities.

Well, there were blinds on the windows back in 1988. Not sure if they still have blinds on the windows these days...lol!

And isn't it funny how the OP asks a question, and doesn't even post in his own thread after answers were given.

jburke1983
04-16-10, 10:10 AM
Well, there were blinds on the windows back in 1988. Not sure if they still have blinds on the windows these days...lol!

And isn't it funny how the OP asks a question, and doesn't even post in his own thread after answers were given.
Sorry WMarine... I left for work shortly after my post and just got off (working nights sucks). Anyway, it sounds like the general concensus is try to control any laughing, but it does happen.
Thanks for the insight Marines.

fmoyer
04-16-10, 12:07 PM
I don't think any one laughed all the time during boot camp a smile would bring a solar plex tap by a DI who knew how to make you think you were going to die on the spot. Many didn't laugh for years, it is sure funny now tho.

SGT7477
04-16-10, 03:15 PM
Laugh all you want but after the first time they work your azz over, you will think before the next laugh,lol.

Moderboater
04-17-10, 09:45 AM
Truth be told I ****ed my Drill Instructor's off on purpose..I would not recommend doing that unless you love getting slayed as I did. I figured it improved any physical weakness i may have had. As for laughing..well I have a story that's worse than that. Mind you I still remember this from almost 4 years ago. The Chief Drill Instructor asked me a question and I "plead the fifth"..i'm pretty sure I ended up with ruptured ear drums as I was swarmed by over 8 drill instructors for my smart ass comment. Over the course of training my ears would bleed and leak fluid at night.. I'm pretty sure people snickered at the comment I made, but if you really **** them off they will only focus on you and not really slay anyone else. My advice if you want extra training do what I did, if not then do you best not to stand out.

On a side note I have nothing but respect for Drill Instructors and at the end of my training my drill instructor's knew that, except the kill hat he said he hoped my plane crashed..

Marine84
04-17-10, 12:38 PM
I got quarterdecked several times for it. It's all a part of the training to try to get you to lose your composure. Had one all up in my grill about my hair talking about "I don't like your hair!" and the only thing I could think of to say FORTUNATELY didn't come out of my mouth. I was thinking "I don't like your face either but, you got it all up in my grill!".

I remember me and my bunkie even got thrown OUT of the platoon one time because right as we were leaving the Squadbay, we fell out and then were given a "right face"........well, my bunkie went to the left and I busted my gut laughing.

buick233
04-17-10, 08:52 PM
Initial Drill was coming up, and we were waiting for the other platoons to finish up at the rappelling tower. So we marched out to an open area to run through the drill card, but we left our weapons stacked. So the Drill Instructor told us to use our "air rifles." When we got to Inspection Arms, she said, "Now even though you don't have your rifles, I know about half of your screwed it up, so CORRECT YOURSELVES!" Even she lost her bearing and we all just outright laughed. That was the first time we saw a personality from any of our drill instructors.

Zulu 36
04-17-10, 09:03 PM
Towards the end of boot camp, things just loosen a little. You aren't scared crapless anymore, you know the Drill Instructors can't eat you, and some quarterdecking isn't going to hurt you much, if at all.

So, you laugh at some things. Sometimes the Drill Instructors laugh along, sometimes they don't.

You pays your money, you takes your chances. :D

FattyTheFerret
04-17-10, 10:56 PM
Some drill instructors will do things specifically to try to make you laugh so they can slay you for it. I once watched a DI knife-hand a seagull and tell him to get out of his way so that the recruits walking nearby would crack the hell up. They did and he smoked 'em good.

I had a few moments. One of my drill instructors couldn't get me to laugh because I hated him with a passion so even the funny stuff he made me do that would have had me cracking up were no problem to get through. Another drill instructor would make me lose my bearing simply by bobbing his head when he talked and he would just roll his eyes and tell me I had no bearing.

Also, I enjoyed making them laugh. Lot of satisfaction seeing your third hat put his campaign cover in front of his face knowing you managed to make him lose his bearing. My favorite moment was shortly after the initial PFT. One of the recruits had lied about having asthma and had dropped in the run. He was the only PFT failure and the senior was mad because he wanted a perfect platoon. I was typing up the drop package while the 3rd hat was doing something else and the SDI was pacing around the duty hut just fuming like mad.

Note that at the time there had been a huge rash of UAs from the MRP and PCP platoons so it had become a running joke around the depot (I imagine it's been one for a long time as well).

SDI: That little <expletive deleted>! Drop him to MRP so he goes UA!
Me: This recruit reports he wouldn't get very far, sir.
SDI: Why the **** not?!?
Me: He can't run, sir.

Both of them cracked up.

Anyways, you'll laugh. Everyone will at one point. Just deal with it. The key is to teach you bearing.

Vandrel
04-17-10, 11:11 PM
I am only worried that I wont be able to hear some of this **** without laughing.

I laughed once, I spent the rest of that day in the pitt and on the quarterdeck. Needless to say I didn't laugh again.

jburke1983
04-18-10, 07:07 PM
Damn, I didnt expect to get all these responses on such a stupid question... Thank you for your time Marines.

Kreegz
04-19-10, 04:34 PM
I remember once our Jhat was teaching us stack arms. He told us to remember "two in the pink, one in the stink" because you were supposed to put two fingers in the loop and one finger over it. Some other kid snickered at that, so the DI asked him:

"You think its funny recruit?"
"NO SIR"
"You think my drill is just one big joke right?"
"NO SIR"
"You got a girl back home recruit?"
"YES SIR"
"Well then I wouldn't be laughing if I were you, because she's got a WHOLE ****ING FIST IN THE PINK RIGHT NOW"

That was the only time I truly lost it in boot.

jburke1983
04-19-10, 07:02 PM
I remember once our Jhat was teaching us stack arms. He told us to remember "two in the pink, one in the stink" because you were supposed to put two fingers in the loop and one finger over it. Some other kid snickered at that, so the DI asked him:

"You think its funny recruit?"
"NO SIR"
"You think my drill is just one big joke right?"
"NO SIR"
"You got a girl back home recruit?"
"YES SIR"
"Well then I wouldn't be laughing if I were you, because she's got a WHOLE ****ING FIST IN THE PINK RIGHT NOW"

That was the only time I truly lost it in boot.

Lol....
Ok, this Marine wins.