PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions!

DobbinsBlythe
04-15-10, 11:38 AM
I have a LOT of questions. The hubby is about two months away from having to make a decision of whether or not to stay in the Corps. He's really up in the air and leaning toward staying in... but as far as options go, if something got thrown in his face for massive amounts of money and the prospect of not deploying again, I think he may take it.

This got me thinking about a lot of things... and I was searching and ended up with post after post of "I got back in!" or stuff related to that, not really what I wanted.

1. How does the whole get out for education thing work? I was told that you can terminate early so that you can begin a new semester of college.... Please elaborate or link me to a post! --also, how does terminal leave go into play with that?

2. applying for jobs with your EAS quickly approaching.... How does that work too? I noticed in some job announcements that you have to either a. be on terminal leave to apply, or b. be employable within 90 days of hire. --does this mean that you can't base your decision to get out on a job that is offered to you?

3. Does anyone know where DECENT housing is around the Ft. Meade area? It looks like we may get moved there.. possibly, if he DOES re-enlist and I've been looking and most looks like crap--or is WAY above BAH rates. We will not live on base b/c I refuse to get rid of our dogs (german shepherd and german shepherd/pitt mix) AND our cats (2).

Any GOOD and PRODUCTIVE answers would greatly be appreciated.

Wyoming
04-15-10, 12:48 PM
Stay In!!

He has the perfect Marine Spouse.

Give it at least one more shot.

doc h fmf
04-15-10, 01:51 PM
STAY IN IT TOOK ME 6months to find a half way decent paying job and that was in 92!!!!!!

Apache
04-15-10, 02:16 PM
Stay Put
He has a Job which most likely will not "downsize"

SlingerDun
04-15-10, 05:12 PM
...as options go, if something got thrown in his face for massive amounts of money and the prospect of not deploying again, I think he may take it.Is that quote pertaining towards lucrative active duty military options ...or private sector occupations with massive amounts of money thrown, perks and such?

Zulu 36
04-15-10, 07:34 PM
Unless he has a lucrative offer in hand right now, I recommend that he stay in the Corps. If he has a boat space, he should be good for at least four more years of employment.

Integrity57
04-15-10, 07:50 PM
Not to mention the medical and dental benefits. It's a ****ty time to be unemployed and being a Vet doesn't currently help much in getting a new job.

USNAviator
04-15-10, 07:53 PM
Not sure my advice is welcomed but if your husband has the chance to do his twenty, please encourage him to do so. I'm assuming when he gets out, he'll be between 38-44??. Plenty of time to start a second career. Hell I'm on my third!!

The benefits are enormous both to you as a married couple and later on in life. He will receive half his pay less taxes etc for the rest of his life. This will increase yearly with COLA. His Tricare benefits are, in my opinion, the best in the US. Don't need to worry about D.C. passing any health plans. You'll have the best that's available

Don't know his/your situation but consider the future. It's nice to have a cushion to fall back on if things go south and they do have a tendency to do so!!!

Good luck to the both of you

Dan

doc h fmf
04-16-10, 07:36 AM
THAT IS VERY GOOD ADVICE CMDR.O'SHEA, I COULDN't HAVE PUT IT ANY BETTER SIR.

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

AAV Crewchief
04-16-10, 07:50 AM
Stay Put
He has a Job which most likely will not "downsize"

Yep and a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks. Now is not the time to HOPE you can get a decent job on the outside. BTW, you didn't say what he did for an MOS in the Corps. Lots of jobs don't necessarily convert to civilian employment. Good luck though.

Old Marine
04-16-10, 09:06 AM
If he has reached the 10 Yr. threshold, its too late to give it up now. The other 10 Yrs. is down hill and will fly by.

The retirement check will be coming in rain or shine before you know it. I would guess he would only be around 38 when he retires and maybe by then the economy wil have emproved and jobs will not be as scarce. At thirty eight he will still be young enough to do what ever he desires or even attend school.

I don't know how the medical works these days, but both my wife and I are on medican and prime for life since reaching 62 and have never had to pay a cent for medical care during that time. Perscriptions are only $3.00/$9.00 each which is really good.

Good luck to ya.

DobbinsBlythe
04-16-10, 09:25 AM
Ok, just to clear things up, the question was not whether to stay in or not, it was about the options.

He has been in for almost 5 years (he had a 5 year enlistment) and he's in the IT field. Civilian equivalent jobs on DOD employment sites are making anywhere between 75-120k/year with benefits. It's a HUGE sector that is hiring, so he's not limiting himself as far as options go--plus he's one of the best at what he does and has the credentials to back it up.

I would really like to know some answers to the questions I've asked. I'm sure you guys all know us spouses like to fret and worry about things that we can't control--like policy and procedure that takes a lifetime to figure out from reading MCO's.

Housing around Ft. Meade, MD? Getting out early due to school? These are the things that make my mind wander about all day.

Oh yeah, he was also 21 when he entered the Corps. Like I said, the decision to stay in or not, I've left up to him. I told him I'd support him through anything. He's leaning toward staying in, but if he finds something he wants, he'll probably take it.

Any answers to 1. 2. or 3?

DobbinsBlythe
04-16-10, 09:30 AM
Oh, and Al, you're a sweetheart but I'm FAR from perfect hahaha! (I still can't seem to get pie crust right.) ;)

ringoffire
04-16-10, 11:54 AM
I'll chime in on this...In the beginning of my husbands enlistment, he changed his MOS twice...when we got to the 6/7yr mark, he again had to change his MOS or get out. We stayed, he went to Comm school. I don't know the MOS #, and it has changed over the years. He has been in for almost 17yrs, we are so close to retirement. Dobbins, your so right about the salary equivlant. My husband has friends who did thier 4 yrs, got out and are now making double and sometimes triple what my husband makes, doing the same job. BUT, here's why I'm glad he continued to stay in, besides the medical/dental benefit, everytime technology updated over the years, He would have to go back to school and learn the new stuff. I don't know how all the Comm schooling will transfer to the "real" world, but I know he's not behind in education.
The point is this....He has had a succesful career in the Marines, his MOS will transfer to the civilian world and he has made all kinds of contacts with other Marines who are in the same MOS and know him. At this point, he's padding his resume. So in 3yrs or so, when he retires, he'll already have job contacts in place. We wont have to worry about medical/dental, and we will be able to practically pick where WE want to live.
I hope I've helped a little bit or at least shined some light on your situation. I wish guys the best! and I'll post an easy fail proof pie crust recipe in the "recipe swap thread"

USNAviator
04-19-10, 04:40 PM
Just remembered that I wanted to give you a little info re the Ft Meade area. We lived in N. Virginia when I was stationed at the Pentagon, very expensive even for an O-5

I'd suggest looking east of Ft Meade but I think Annapolis is very pricey. One thing to remember is that the area is one gigantic traffic jam from 06:00-09:00--15:00-19:00 You don't want to live south toward the 495 beltway nor north toward Baltimore and BWI Airport. East is your best bet. No matter where you live, rents and groceries will most likely be higher than where you are now.

See that you're from 'Bama so you're familiar with high humidity, you'll find it as well in Maryland.

Hope all works out well for you and your husband

Dan

Rocky C
04-19-10, 05:23 PM
Fort Meade Area Rentals.........

http://www.fortmeadehomes.com/

USNAviator
04-19-10, 05:28 PM
Thanks Rocky, I was doing a search myself but got distracted. At 56 that seems to happen more and more LOL!!!

Rocky C
04-19-10, 05:45 PM
Thanks Rocky, I was doing a search myself but got distracted. At 56 that seems to happen more and more LOL!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!:D

spotts
04-19-10, 05:48 PM
Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military.

USNAviator
04-19-10, 06:28 PM
"Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military."

Good solid straight forward answer. Not sure where the geographic location of potential job offers are located for the Sgt. and his bride but the more info they have, the easier it will make their decision. A promise is one thing, to have it in writing is another. And given my experience in dealing with the DOD and others, it takes them quite a long time to make up their minds on new hires.

Dan

DobbinsBlythe
04-19-10, 07:03 PM
Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military.

I know a degree is pretty essential in the whole search for cash thing, but I do know MOST people straight out of his shop are pulling 60k+ and don't have his certifications. What are your thoughts on Tier 2 vs. tier 3 IT positions in relation to dinero?

spotts
04-19-10, 07:11 PM
Im not sure what companies those people are going to but most Fortune 500 companies want the degrees in hand. PM me regarding what certifications he has and where you are looking to relacate to in the US if he does decide to EAS. Ill do a search for you and see whats out there right now. I have access to more then just job boards on the net.

DobbinsBlythe
04-19-10, 07:14 PM
Dan, thanks for all the info in relation to Ft. Meade. I was looking around Laurel and Maryland City and Jessup because that was where the DECENT housing appeared to be, it just felt like I was missing something.

I started looking @ usajobs and found quite a few back home in Alabama. I think preferably, we'd go back to Florida if he got out. .. IF he gets out. He really misses CENTCOM and his friends down there--the ability to go hunting based on his desire to, the housing market (in our favor :D ) and the lifestyle we had there (with tons to do) has got his eyes set there. Huntsville, AL would be awesome as well (since we know there are jobs available due to BRAC and the fact that AMC is moving there from Washington with only 20% of their civilian personnel committed to move AND my mother in law would be more than willing to babysit for us to have a date night once in a while :D )

I like the idea of David staying in. It's still a possibility. Job security, possibility of retirement..etc. Another option he's been talking about is staying in as a reservist and working as a civilian.

I will keep everyone up to date as far as our decision, thanks for all the input! :D

USNAviator
04-23-10, 06:21 PM
" I will keep everyone up to date as far as our decision, thanks for all the input! :D

You better!!! I just wanted to add another bit of info you and your husband should know about. Below is the link to TriCare Cost and Benefits to retirees. I retired at age 44 and came under the TriCare umbrella. Both daughters benefited for many years until they reached the opt out year, I believe it's 22. Legislation now pending to up it to 26 if a student

I lost my wife Lorrie to breast cancer, age 49, two years ago. Tricare was wonderful with all the help they provided.

Wanted to make sure you know the positives of staying in until retirement age

https://www.hnfs.net/common/benefits/TRICARE+Costs+for+Retirees.htm

Good luck to the two or should I say three of you?

Dan

DobbinsBlythe
04-23-10, 07:24 PM
Thanks Dan! I already know all about retiree benefits. My dad was medically retired from the Army when I was really young for brain tumors and cancer. He died from it when I was 5. It's an amazing thing--the benefits provided to retirees and their families. I grew up all sorts of sickly so, it really helped, especially since back then, the SGLI didn't really cover much. I think for my dad it was 40K-- enough to pay off the house my Dad and mom bought together, and the SUV he got before he passed away--later to become my first vehicle (lasted like FOREVER... good old 1988 Ford Bronco II).

While Military medicine may not always be the best, it was there when we needed it.

Tricare ends for non-students at 21. I think it's 23 if they're still students. I can't remember. I had to drop all my classes when I was 21 to PCS with my Marine (so I didn't really ever NOT have Tricare I guess)

Thanks so much for the good wishes!

<3

PS: So sorry to hear about your wife. I had no idea.

USNAviator
04-23-10, 07:36 PM
Take care of yourself young lady, you have the right attitude and the right disposition. I have seen so many military wives both of officers and enlisted who have no clue.

I was lucky, when we walked under the cross swords ceremony during our wedding and Lorrie was swatted on her butt and welcomed into the Navy, she told me later that the Navy and I came first. Wow, I was lucky!

All my best

Dan

DobbinsBlythe
06-09-10, 03:13 PM
So it's looking more and more like he wants to get out. The job offers are already rolling in--in the place we wanted to move to--at the place he wanted to work!

Still insanely up in the air, because he LOVES the Corps. Who knows!

Idena
06-24-10, 12:37 PM
Did he make a decision yet? We were stationed at Ft Meade 3 1/2 years ago, & we lived in Glen Burnie during that time. However, I'm familiar with the greater MD area - I used to live & work in Baltimore, & we plan to retire to Annapolis (We were married there, as well.). I'll give you any info I can if you wind up there - I can even introduce you to people in the area if you want ready-made friends!

DobbinsBlythe
06-24-10, 01:17 PM
You know what Idena, I thought he had made his decision to get out because of some serious job offers he had... HOWEVER.. now he's thinking lat-move?! I can't keep up with my own husband lol.

I will DEFINITELY be in contact should we need to PCS to Ft. Meade. Thanks for the offer!

usmcdanno
06-24-10, 03:37 PM
Is he a 2651? Must be a 26XX of some sort if they're sending him to Ft. Meade.

Rocky C
06-24-10, 04:11 PM
Did he make a decision yet? We were stationed at Ft Meade 3 1/2 years ago, & we lived in Glen Burnie during that time. However, I'm familiar with the greater MD area - I used to live & work in Baltimore, & we plan to retire to Annapolis (We were married there, as well.). I'll give you any info I can if you wind up there - I can even introduce you to people in the area if you want ready-made friends!

Hello Stranger :D
Great to see you post!!!
I hope All is well with You and The Family.
Tell the Captain I said Hello and Semper Fi :thumbup:
Rocky :usmc:

DobbinsBlythe
06-24-10, 07:05 PM
Yes Danno, he's a 2651. :P

Idena
06-25-10, 12:26 PM
Hello Stranger :D
Great to see you post!!!
I hope All is well with You and The Family.
Tell the Captain I said Hello and Semper Fi :thumbup:
Rocky :usmc:
Hola, Rocky, thanks! We are doing great, surviving summer in the south. I'll definitely give your regards to Isrowei - he lurks sometimes, but mostly he is exceptionally busy! How are you?