PDA

View Full Version : LPD-26 to be named after john murtha

Garyius
04-14-10, 10:07 AM
LPD-26 will be named after ex-marine and us representitive john murtha.

By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Apr 13, 2010 17:46:22 EDT

The Navy’s 10th San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock will be named for Rep. John Murtha, the long-serving Pennsylvania Democrat who chaired the powerful House appropriations defense subcommittee before he died in February.

According to a Navy memorandum obtained by Navy Times, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus notified Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead that he had selected “John P. Murtha” for the previously unnamed LPD 26. It’s the latest example of the Navy breaking a convention for naming its warships; the previous ships in the San Antonio class have been named for American cities.

Capt. Beci Brenton, a spokeswoman for Mabus, who is traveling on the West Coast, said she had no comment on the memo.

The choice of Murtha as the namesake for an LPD 17 appeared to reflect both his support in Congress for more of the gators and his service in the Marine Corps, which included time in Vietnam. San Antonio-class ships can carry about 700 Marines, their equipment and vehicles.

But Murtha might also prove to be a controversial pick: He was accused of ethics violations several times over the course of his career and he caused outrage among Marines in 2005 when he accused troops of 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines of “killing innocent people” in a shooting in Haditha, Iraq.

The John P. Murtha is not just the latest Navy warship to break with its class naming convention, it’s also the latest amphibious ship to do so. In 2008, Mabus’ predecessor, Donald Winter, named the amphibious assault ship LHA 6 the “America,” bucking the tradition of naming big-deck gators for Marine battles, such as “Makin Island” and “Bataan.”

Mabus’ decision does keep with a Navy tradition of naming warships for friendly politicians. The fast attack submarines Glenard P. Lipscomb and John Warner, the ballistic missile sub Henry M. Jackson, and the carriers Carl Vinson and John C. Stennis all were named for political friends of the Navy in their eras. Like Murtha, some of those figures were controversial — Georgia Rep. Carl Vinson, and Mississippi Sen. John Stennis, both Democrats, supported racial segregation in the South, opposed civil rights legislation and signed the 1956 “Southern Manifesto.”

OLE SARG
04-14-10, 10:18 AM
I hope the fvcking thing sinks on its first outing!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

echo3oscar1833
04-14-10, 10:44 AM

SEMPER FI,

As long as the sailors get off before it sinks, other yeah I hope it sinks to. Murth is a peice of chit :mad:

yanacek
04-14-10, 10:59 AM
... Murth is a peice of chit :mad:

Correction: Murtha WAS a piece of $hit. Now he's just dead.

echo3oscar1833
04-14-10, 11:15 AM
Correction: Murtha WAS a piece of $hit. Now he's just dead.

:D

Izzame2
04-15-10, 04:02 AM
I thought I heard everything.Too bad the Navy doesn't have garbage skows because that is the only ship appropriate for that scum bag.I guess I can look on the bright side though and be happy that no Marine bases were named after that bastard.

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/ex-marine.jpg?w=655

AAV Crewchief
04-15-10, 06:18 PM

SEMPER FI,

.........as long as 100% of the crew and Marines are rescued. It's not their fault the name is MURTHA.

ecfree
04-15-10, 06:24 PM
http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/ex-marine.jpg?w=655[/quote]
TRASH

jetdawgg
04-15-10, 08:43 PM
http://www.offresonance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/double-facepalm.jpg

ecfree
04-15-10, 08:49 PM
http://www.offresonance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/double-facepalm.jpg
Excellent MIKE...........:thumbup:

sparkie
04-15-10, 09:07 PM
Savage addressed this today, coming up with other ships, like the Barney Frank,,,,,only backs up. Mine,,,, The Obama,,,,,steers to the left.

All the funny posibilities. Clinton,,,,, forward porpultion sucks and blows,,,,,,,

Kennedy Sub,,,,,,never surfaces. USS Chapakennendy,,,,,,,,

firedog974
04-15-10, 09:27 PM
Gosh....I was really hoping this was a joke. What is next, the USS Oswald???

CPL/7113
04-16-10, 09:41 AM
Why don't they just rename the Titanic?

jetdawgg
04-16-10, 09:51 AM
Excellent MIKE...........:thumbup:

I am trying to be nice on this side of the server:usmc::sick:

ConorMacNessa
04-16-10, 10:59 AM
What an outrage! An insult to every man and woman that has worn the uniform!

NoRemorse
04-16-10, 11:01 AM
So we've got a ship that's going to hang its Marines out to dry?

Wonderful....

I do like Sparkie's post the best :D

tuboe
04-26-10, 05:47 PM
I am a combat Marine (Vietnam), this is an outrage and a insult to all Marines, present, past and future. To name a LPD after this sh*tbird, who in my opinion is worse than "hanoi jane", this is inexcusable. If they wish to name this ship, they should name it after a Marine that is a true hero, not this REMF and coward. I'm calling this just plan garbage and I'm calling all of my States Congressional delegation about this insult to all Marines and Navy personal. I have not heard about this in the press, nor did the congressmen that I called this morning know about it.

Semper Fi

:flag:

jetdawgg
04-26-10, 06:48 PM
@tuboe

Don't let this get you too upset Marine, someone will soon come up with the idea to name a ship after Hanoi Jane:sick::usmc:

tgwkreu7
04-26-10, 07:27 PM
Murtha Was A Turd There Is No Clean End To A Turd

ARTYPIG
04-26-10, 08:15 PM
I did what Tuboe did. I called my Senators and Congressman and they too had not heard of this. They said they would look into it, but then one of my Senators is Max Baucus who I don't trust as far as I can throw him!

tuboe
04-30-10, 01:58 PM
Please don't bellyache about this atrocity but, everyone call their Congressional Delegation for their State.

Semper Fi

Rocky C
04-30-10, 02:28 PM
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi praised the Navy’s decision to name an amphibious warship after Rep. John Murtha, but the formal announcement last Friday added fuel to an already smoldering backlash online.

Murtha — “our dear Jack,” as Pelosi referred to him — deserved the honor as a tireless advocate for troops generally and Marines in particular, she said, and she recalled admiring his rapport with them.

“Whether on the battlefield, or on the bedside, he thanked them for their courage, listened to their concerns, and asked them for comment — and he answered their needs, and responded to their calls, whether it was for body armor, up-armored vehicles… radios, you name it,” Pelosi said. “In those minutes [together], he bonded with them especially because he would share his own personal military service with them, and cared for them as a father. They knew it, and they returned his respect.”

Murtha, who died in February at age 77, had served 19 terms as a congressman from Pennsylvania.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, who technically is the only person in the government with the power to name U.S. warships, also praised Murtha’s history of service. He unveiled an official illustration showing an amphibious transport dock marked with the hull number “26” named John P. Murtha. It will be the first in the San Antonio class not named for an American city.

Despite the encomia from Pelosi and Mabus, thousands of Web users remembered a different Murtha — the one who opposed the Iraq war and accused Marines in 2005 of killing Iraqis “in cold blood” — when reacting to the announcement about the ship named in his honor. A Facebook group called “People Against Naming A Navy Ship USS Murtha” had 1,336 members as of Monday morning, and it was becoming a clearinghouse for angry comments and homemade cartoons criticizing Murtha.

Posters on the Facebook page said Murtha, who served in the Marine Corps during the Korean and Vietnam eras, “betrayed the brotherhood,” that naming a ship for him was a “slap in the face” and that if the Navy wanted to name a ship for him, it should have chosen “a nice, stinky garbage scow.”

The Navy was getting angry responses even on its own official website, where visitors used the same page where the announcement appeared to criticize it. Visitors called the decision to name a ship for Murtha “an absolute disgrace,” “inappropriate” and said it was just as bad as naming a warship for Benedict Arnold.

“The naming of LPD 26 after John Murtha is inappropriate,” wrote David Martin. “There many men and women with greater records of valor and service to the country who deserve the honor of having a warship named in their memory before John Murtha has a warship [named] in his honor. He made sure there was an airport named after himself. What more does there need to be?”

jetdawgg
04-30-10, 05:18 PM
http://breznev.wbs.cz/HJFonda.jpg
http://www.theodoresworld.net/pcfreezone/JihadJackMurtha.jpg

USNAviator
04-30-10, 05:19 PM
Good post Rocky, thank you!

Sent an email off to my Senator here in Virginia, Jim Webb, voicing my displeasure and concerns for future nominee's. Webb as most of you know is a Marine, his son is a Marine and he was former SECNAV. This would not have happened if that was his current billet

Whose up next, a Cruiser named after Ted Kennedy? Oh no that most likely would be a underwater craft!!

Dan

Rocky C
04-30-10, 05:45 PM

Sent an email off to my Senator here in Virginia, Jim Webb, voicing my displeasure and concerns for future nominee's. Webb as most of you know is a Marine, his son is a Marine and he was former SECNAV. This would not have happened if that was his current billet

Dan

:thumbup:

tuboe
04-30-10, 05:58 PM
Nice job Road Island

Semper Fi
Tuboe

Rocky C
04-30-10, 06:45 PM
Nice job Rhode Island

Semper Fi
Tuboe

Semper Fi,
Rocky

:usmc::thumbup::flag:

doc h fmf
04-30-10, 06:58 PM
Thats A Crying Shame!!!!

tuboe
04-30-10, 10:49 PM

Whose up next, a Cruiser named after Ted Kennedy? Oh no that most likely would be a underwater craft!!

Dan

More like Submarine, with an all women crew

Tuboe :flag:

ameriken
05-01-10, 01:09 PM
at if the Navy wanted to name a ship for him, it should have chosen “a nice, stinky garbage scow."

http://www.gothamgazette.com/graphics/2008/04/garbage_barge.jpg

USS Murtha GPD-26 (Garbage Platform Dock)

vipere6
05-01-10, 05:30 PM
"Murtha" ...Is that a new brand of toilet paper you wipe yourself with?

dupa
05-01-10, 08:35 PM
I think we should name a ****ter after him.

TunTvrnWarrior
05-01-10, 08:41 PM
Do you think there are any Marine Corps League Detachements out there that would name a "sh-tter" after Murtha?

wpmobley
05-02-10, 03:41 AM
More Hussein Obama arrogance. This is nothing but a political ploy to elect Murtha's clone to his old office. SECNAV has no shame. Where in hell do I vote? Remember November.

tuboe
05-02-10, 10:10 AM
"Murtha" ...Is that a new brand of toilet paper you wipe yourself with?

I hear that it comes with branches embedded in it. As well, it is pure burlap. The Congress has authorized the Department of Pork to build the factory in Western Pennsvylania, near the airport. It will produce only one roll per week, and hire 1000 new goverment employees.