PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine sets pull-up record for good cause

thedrifter
09-06-03, 11:45 AM
Former Marine sets pull-up record for good cause
Submitted by: New York Public Affairs
Story Identification Number: 200395121624
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Tim McGough

NEW YORK(September 5, 2003) -- When it comes to pull-ups, most Marines knock out as many as they can and move on to other exercises, but Alan Sharkany Jr. goes a lot further for a better cause.

Sharkany, a former Marine, was out to set the record of the most pull-ups done in one hour and get the word out about the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation. Since it has never been done he set the precedent. He took on this challenge, doing it in front of FOX News Channel while New Yorkers, tourists and the entire country was watching.

"I had a mission in front of me," said Sharkany. "I gave it all I had until I couldn't give anymore." After his hour was up, Sharkany set the record at 239 pull-ups.

The Norwalk, Conn., native may have not known it, but he gave more than just physical excursion. Sharkany got the word out about how the MCSF, a non-profit, tax exempt corporation, provides financial assistance for higher education to deserving sons and daughters of United States Marines and children of former Marines, with particular attention being given to children whose parent was killed or wounded in action.

"I am proud to help the foundation," said Sharkany. "It's a great cause, but doing this helps teach my children about goal setting. How to start something and follow it through to accomplishment." Setting goals has been a standard bearer for Sharkany.

On 26 October 2002, the former infantry Marine took up the challenge of doing pull-ups for 24 hours for Easter Seals. As he was working on hour 13 his left bicep ripped and he had to stop at 2,101 pull-ups.

"Although his heart and mind were still excited and alert, his body gave way," said Bianca Wren, Sharkany's publicist. "Alan did not reach his personal goal of 4,000 pull-ups in this attempt, but that number set a world precedent to date."

Helping Sharkany to stay motivated during his challenge was Marine Master Sgt. Jimmy Vargas and Staff Sgt. O.A. Grizzle from Recruiting Station Springfield, Conn. "Alan is awesome," said Vargas. "He has been working with our recruits for a long time. He comes out and helps them with their physical training before they go to boot camp."

The recruiters kept count and gave Sharkany the motivation to go on. "It was a pleasure," said Vargas. "He always pushes the Marine Corps' image and our poolees love him."

Before, during and after each set on the bar, Sharkany kept his motivation up by thinking of all the Marines serving in Afghanistan, Iraq and the MCSF. "They all inspire me," he said. "The Marines are out there in harm's way and the scholarship foundation helps the children of fallen Marines. I am proud of what I am doing for all of them."

This year the MCSF was able to award more than $1.5 million in scholarships to 981 students for the 2003-2004 academic year. For more information on the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation on line go to www.marine-scholars.org or call (800) 292-7777.

Now that the one-hour pull-up record has been set, Sharkany is setting his sites on breaking his 24-hour record in November of this year.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200395122926/$file/pullup3low.jpg

Alan Sharkany Jr., a former Marine from Norwalk, Conn., set the record of the most pull-ups done in one hour and got the word out about the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation. Since it has never been done he set the precedent. He took on this challenge, doing it in front of FOX News Channel while New Yorkers, tourists and the entire country was watching. Sharkany completed 239 pullups.
Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Tim McGough

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200395124644/$file/pullup4low.jpg

GET SOME -- Alan Sharkany Jr., pumps out his last pull-up, during his hour long challenge in New York City. Sharkany completed 239 pull-ups in one hour on FOX News Channel's morning show Fox & Friends.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200395125528/$file/pullup1low.jpg

ONE FOR THE CORPS & MORE -- By setting a record of 239 pull-up in an hour in front of FOX Studios in New York City Alan Sharkany Jr., got the word out about the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation. The MCSF is a non-profit, tax exempt corporation, provides financial assistance for higher education to deserving sons and daughters of United States Marines and children of former Marines, with particular attention being given to children whose parent was killed or wounded in action.

Sempers,

Roger