PDA

View Full Version : Reservists drilling abroad?

Data07
04-12-10, 02:20 AM
I'm a reservist and am applying for a few different government jobs that might take me abroad. I would most likely be working in a US embassy or consulate.

My recruiter said that if I were accepted by another branch of the government I might get separated to "perform higher government service" or something like that, but that was what my recruiter said.

I would like to stay in - would it be possible to drill with the MSG units that guard every US embassy.

I'm an 0651 data Marine if that matters.

S/F

hussaf
04-12-10, 09:35 AM
We are not the people who determine this. Regardless of what someone opines on this forum, you need to find someone willing to do this...so your gonna have to do a little led work. It's all about what you can convince someone else to do for you. For example, a Marine deployed as a civilian contractor may be able to do courtesy drills with a Marine unit at the same base on his time off.

Another option is to find out where you will go in your federal job and see if there is an IMADET there.

polizei
04-12-10, 11:05 AM
That sounds a bit tricky to me...I thought MSG was active duty only, so I don't exactly understand how you would drill with them, since to my knowledge, they don't drill. Also, we might not be able to help 100% here, but give us some background info. Are you a current AD Marine? Reserve?

spotts
04-12-10, 11:16 AM
Go and speak with your First Sergeant

hussaf
04-12-10, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to insinuate that one could drill with MSG. But there are Marine units all over the place besides embassy security staff (other offices of the US Country team, nearby bases, etc). Probably IMA is the best bet as they can work out irregular drill schedules.