PDA

View Full Version : What is Platoon Leaders Class like?

Infinitum
04-10-10, 01:38 PM
So I am 14 and am looking to join the Marine Corps after college, but I intend to go to PLC throughout college. I want my MOS to either be Infantry or Artillery. I was just wondering what officer training (PLC,The Basic School, etc) is like. What can I expect, all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance. :usmc:

Lisa 23
04-10-10, 02:13 PM
You have a couple of years yet before you can even talk with an OSO.

You can check these sites out.

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/pages/officer-candidate-course-occ.php

http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officerjobsmenu.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asvabcommission.htm

Infinitum
04-10-10, 02:35 PM
Yes I realize I still have a few years but I am confident that this is what I am going to do. So any info about what it is like would be appreciated.

TinDragon
04-10-10, 02:50 PM
Well, for starters unless you become a pilot your job isn't guaranteed as an officer.

Infinitum
04-10-10, 03:44 PM
So, what your saying is I could go through all of the training and still not become an officer?

TinDragon
04-10-10, 06:12 PM
Well, that of course is true, if you fail anyway. It's always possible that you'll fail, the Marine Corps ain't a &quot;No Child Left Behind&quot; zone. But that's not what I was trying to say before... <br />

Infinitum
04-10-10, 06:19 PM
First off thanks for the info TinDragon! I really appreciate you helping me out. And I have been doing some more research today and I can say I am leaning more towards enlisted, but I HAVE to graduate college before I join or my parents will kill me. And I know I could just say "I am an adult you can't make my decisions for me" but I would just like to honor my parents wishes of me joining the Corps after college. So yeah, I think I will be making my way to San Diego for recruit training in 2017. Hoorah! :flag:

Lisa 23
04-10-10, 06:25 PM
Hoorah! :flag:

This really frosts my buns when wannabes and poolees don't read the site rules. :evilgrin:
First, it's oorah, hoorah.
Second, you DO NOT rate to say oorah on this site until you've EARNED the title. Read the rules!

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

TinDragon
04-10-10, 06:30 PM
If I were you, I'd point out that the Marine Corps will pay your entire college bill, but only if you join first. Might be a way to ship off a few years early. :p

Infinitum
04-10-10, 06:41 PM
My apologies if I offended you in any way WMarine, I will be more conscientious next time. Also, TinDragon, I am working on that. They are just a little hard headed.

Zulu 36
04-10-10, 07:39 PM
My apologies if I offended you in any way WMarine, I will be more conscientious next time. Also, TinDragon, I am working on that. They are just a little hard headed.

Just do the research, stay in school and get top grades, stay out of trouble, get into and stay in top physical condition. When you get to be a junior in HS, contact an OSO for up to date info on what you need to do for PLC and what other options you have. You may also want to talk to a regular recruiter then too to look at enlisted options (just for comparison purposes, if nothing else).

Too much can change in just a few years to give you accurate answers now. Three years ago, people could enlist with all sorts of waivers. Now, hardly any waivers are being granted. Same things with officer qualifications. The fewer the slots, the tighter the requirements get.

As other Marines pointed out, an officer's MOS is determined by the needs of the Corps (except for lawyers and pilots). The better you do in officer training, at all levels, increases the chances of you getting what you want.

Infinitum
04-14-10, 06:15 PM
Well I have done some research and have decided that I am for sure going to enlist. I just don't think I am cut out or have what it takes to be an officer. For those of you who care I am planning on my MOS being 0311.

Thanks to all who answered my questions! :)