PDA

View Full Version : The (Business of the) Marines on Your Left and Right

EdtheHun
04-10-10, 09:07 AM
I was reading the thread “The Meaning of Semper Fidelis”, and at the part where Fontman says “United States Marines are now revered for their downright fanatical dedication to each other, their service, and their country,” a onversation I had with an ol buddy from Pendleton last week struck me...But first...

After leaving active duty, I had several job interviews arranged by Marines who already worked at the organizations. I’ll certainly return the favor to other Marines, given the opportunity, as I’m sure we all would. Semper Fi.

And, given a choice between hiring a landscaper or a contractor who was a Marine and one who was not, we would (all of us I assume) hire the Marine. Of course the guy won't always have his 1st MarDiv (or other USMC) t-shirt on, and we don’t always see the Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem on his truck. Sometimes you have to hear from a friend, or a friend of a friend.

So if you are, or you know a Marine who’s in business somewhere, it seems there should be a thread here where you can sound off and let other Marines know.

And for the rest of us, let’s Buy American, and more than that, Buy Marine! If you know a Marine running a business, let the rest of us know--and--Semper Fidelis--Let's support Marines!

And yes, I had someone particular in mind, but I’ll put that in a post below, getting in line like everyone else…

EdtheHun
04-10-10, 09:14 AM
So, what made me think to start this thread is Cliff, a buddy of mine from Pendleton, and from there, Iraq. We are friends and, Semper Fi, we are Marines. He’s a guy with great stories, and a sense of humor like R. Lee Ermey (the D.I. in Full Metal Jacket). Anyway, he was telling me he just published a novel for e-readers (like the Kindle or the new Apple iPad).
He was also telling me (when I asked if he was going to be famous like whoever wrote the DaVinci Code) there are millions of novels, and it’s hard for people to sort through all that to find an unknown author like him, so he'll be lucky to get a couple hundred readers.
WHAT!?
Turns out the lists on Amazon do a lot of sorting, and one way to get near the top of the lists is through ‘Tags.’ No purchase required, any person with an Amazon account can add his (or her) tag, like “Suspense” or “Thriller” to book. The more people who add that tag, the higher the book shows up on that list (Say at 200 instead of 16,987 which can mean a lot to an unknown author).
If you don’t have an e-reader, would you take the fifteen seconds to help a Marine by clicking onto Amazon to Cliff’s novel, “Tanzaire” (about a civil war in Africa—Non-stop action and some really funny one-liners), and add your vote to the Suspense and/or Thriller tags?
Even if you don’t have an e-reader, you can also pull up the free first chapters and enjoy the begining—no kidding, it’ll grab you by the belt and launch you on a ride.
If you have an e-reader, consider buying his book (It costs less than a Coke at the movies, is more fun, and lasts a lot longer). If you have friends with an e-reader, tell them to check it out, too.

Thanks. Semper Fi!

Zulu 36
04-10-10, 12:11 PM
I put the book on my Kindle Wish List. When I sort through some of the unread books already on my Kindle, I'll buy it.

EdtheHun
04-10-10, 02:32 PM
Thanks Zulu Tanzaire is a great read--Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Rocky C
04-10-10, 05:02 PM
I just put it on My List.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

jetdawgg
04-10-10, 05:30 PM
@EdtheHun

A Marine gave me my first job outside of the Corps. He told me then he always looks out for Marines and to always do the same. I haven't stopped since.

Here is a link to a variety of e book reader software:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=ebook+reader+software&aq=3s&aqi=g-s10&aql=&oq=e+book+read&gs_rfai=
:usmc:

EdtheHun
04-12-10, 04:52 PM
Good to go!