PDA

View Full Version : Was I at fault here?

SwedishMarine
04-09-10, 03:01 AM
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night Marines.

I had a rather simple question I wish one of you could answer.
I was at the grocery store the other day, and I was wearing a gray sweat shirt with "Marines" written on the front. As I was leaving the counter, after having purchased my item, a rather old man walked up to me and asked if I was in the Corps. I then went on and told him that I was planning on joining as soon as my necessary paperwork were ready. He then told me to take of the sweat shirt because I hadn't "Earned the Title". I was understanding his point, but I explained to him that just because a 9 year old wears a football jersey, doesn't mean that he/she is playing football for that team. I was just supporting my favorite "Team" and also supporting, hopefully, my future career. However, to show my gratitude and respect, I took of the jersey and promised not to wear it for the rest of the day. Now, this gentleman was rather old, so nothing happen, but if this was my fault, I don't want to bump into any DI's any time soon.
So I was wondering, am I disrespecting the Corps if I wear a T-Shirt/Sweat Shirt that says "Marines" on it? If that's the case, I will not wear them again, until I have earned the title.

Thank You Marines, your input means a lot to me.

brian0351
04-09-10, 03:26 AM
It's hit or miss depending on who you run into.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue as long as you have some connection to the Corps. ie Family member or friend or in your case planning to join.

Although you will have those older salty dogs who have a different outlook on it.

redman1
04-09-10, 04:35 AM
I agree with Brian0351
What ****es me off is when you see rapers and others wearing Marine Corps Blouses with Sgt stripes and hash marks. You have to earn the title to wear them.
It seems to me that you meant no disrespect and there's nothing wrong with it as I see it. Anyone can buy sweat shirts of any kind and wear them.
Good luck on becoming a Marine
Semper Fi Redman

Phantom Blooper
04-09-10, 06:34 AM
Recruiters give away tee shirts,stickers,key fobs and trinkets to anyone who walks in the door and wants them based on availability.

You can buy most of these items on line and in some military surplus stores.

You did the right thing by being respectful and not getting into a peeing contest with that Marine.

But I am a firm believer that anyone and everyone that wears or displays something pertaining to the Marine Corps has the right to do so whether you have earned the title or not.

Free advertisement for the Marines.

If you would have told him that you were in the Marine Corps and tried to BS your way through it you would be in the wrong...which you did not do.

As stated there are some that don't believe that kids should wear these items or display the stickers until they have marched the grinder and became a Marine.

Mothers and Dads that have not been in the Marines wear shirts and display stickers as a way to show support for the Marine in their life that is far..far away....and I applaud this.

Keep wearing the shirt....just don't claim to be something you are not except an ardent supporter of Marines!:evilgrin:

redman1
04-09-10, 06:40 AM
PB Well said
Semper Fi Redman

Rocky C
04-09-10, 07:01 AM
Recruiters give away tee shirts,stickers,key fobs and trinkets to anyone who walks in the door and wants them based on availability.

You did the right thing by being respectful and not getting into a peeing contest with that Marine.

But I am a firm believer that anyone and everyone that wears or displays something pertaining to the Marine Corps has the right to do so whether you have earned the title or not.

If you would have told him that you were in the Marine Corps and tried to BS your way through it you would be in the wrong...which you did not do.

As stated there are some that don't believe that kids should wear these items or display the stickers until they have marched the grinder and became a Marine.

Mothers and Dads that have not been in the Marines wear shirts and display stickers as a way to show support for the Marine in their life that is far..far away....and I applaud this.

Keep wearing the shirt....just don't claim to be something you are not except an ardent supporter of Marines!:evilgrin:

:thumbup::flag:. That's how I feel also.

temarti
04-09-10, 07:10 AM
Ditto!! remember there are always some "stuck on stupid"

SGT7477
04-09-10, 07:16 AM

Right on Chuck:thumbup:, Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
04-09-10, 07:17 AM
Ditto!! remember there are always some "stuck on stupid"
Very true, You Can't Fix Stupid.:D

Phantom Blooper
04-09-10, 07:24 AM
It's also a good thing you weren't wearing cammie trousers.....you would have to walk home "Commando":evilgrin:

Rocky C
04-09-10, 07:34 AM
It's also a good thing you weren't wearing cammie trousers.....you would have to walk home "Commando":evilgrin:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
04-09-10, 08:03 AM
You did right. And I agree with the other posts, I have no problem with 'free advertising', either!

As long as you weren't claiming to BE a Marine, it's all good. No worries.

NoRemorse
04-09-10, 08:07 AM
You should have offered to pay for your transgression with Bends and Thrusts forever.

Next time a salt tells you to remove your gear you tell him you're going to earn it come hell or highwater in the most respectful way you can.

tdrt
04-09-10, 08:38 AM
You did good! and I like your signature -- very nice.

So where are you in the enlistment process?

Hanzo
04-09-10, 11:56 AM

Exactly. My first ever USMC shirt was given to me by a recruiter and they gave them away at state fairs to anyone who could do pull ups. If the face of the Marine Corps is trying to give away shirts that say 'Marines', you're good to go.

SwedishMarine
04-09-10, 12:40 PM

Thank You very much for your replies, your input is what thrives me to do better, every day. So, from what I understand, I can wear the support, or "ad" gear, as long as I don't lie about it and say that I'm actually in the Corps, which I don't see why I would do that if I'm going for the title anyways.

Well, as always, you have been very helpful. I wish you the best, and if there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers :)

SwedishMarine
04-09-10, 12:51 PM
You did good! and I like your signature -- very nice.

So where are you in the enlistment process?

Thank you very much Staff Sergeant.

I'm currently in the process of getting my green card. I moved to the US from Stockholm, Sweden during the summer of '09, with one goal in mind, to earn the title of "Marine". They won't let me join without a green card, so I just have to wait, for now. I've asked many different Recruiters if I can get, at least, a shipping date while I wait for the green card, this way we will save more time so that I won't be turning 30 when I step on those yellow footprints. So far, no luck. My days, basically, is all about PT'ing and getting that 18:00 time on the 3 Mile Run. I work at a MMA Gym as the Supply Manager, so I have plenty of gear and room to help me along.

lastcigar
04-09-10, 01:06 PM
Did the old man claim to be a Marine? If so, I'm somewhat surprised, as you see that we don't have a problem with you wearing it as long as you don't lie and I would hope don't behave disgracefully while wearing it. Especially if you are trying to get here to get in.

If he was not one of us however, we should all consider the honor a "civilian" paid us. A non-Marine in an liberal country telling someone they have to earn the right to wear that name. THAT IS AWSOME.

Especially for those of us who got a less than warm welcome home in our own country back in the 70s.

Did I misunderstand something here?

lastcigar
04-09-10, 01:09 PM
Oops. when I read it I thought you were still overseas.... sorry, I miss read it but it but my question still remains, was he one of us or a civilian. My face is very red.

SwedishMarine
04-09-10, 01:10 PM
Did the old man claim to be a Marine? If so, I'm somewhat surprised, as you see that we don't have a problem with you wearing it as long as you don't lie and I would hope don't behave disgracefully while wearing it. Especially if you are trying to get here to get in.

If he was not one of us however, we should all consider the honor a "civilian" paid us. A non-Marine in an liberal country telling someone they have to earn the right to wear that name. THAT IS AWSOME.

Especially for those of us who got a less than warm welcome home in our own country back in the 70s.

Did I misunderstand something here?

The gentleman I spoke to claimed to be a Marine, for he said that "He has already earned his title".
Thank You for your input, Sergeant.

SwedishMarine
04-09-10, 01:12 PM
Oops. when I read it I thought you were still overseas.... sorry, I miss read it but it but my question still remains, was he one of us or a civilian. My face is very red.

No need to be sorry, Sergeant. I've learned that claiming to be sorry for a simple mistake is the same as claiming to be sorry for being human, for I believe our mistakes is what makes us human, not our accomplishments.
Then again, that's only my opinion.

hbharrison
04-09-10, 05:56 PM

I was at the grocery store the other day, and I was wearing a gray sweat shirt with "Marines" written on the front. As I was leaving the counter, after having purchased my item, a rather old man walked up to me and asked if I was in the Corps. I then went on and told him that I was planning on joining as soon as my necessary paperwork were ready. He then told me to take of the sweat shirt because I hadn't "Earned the Title". I was understanding his point, but I explained to him that just because a 9 year old wears a football jersey, doesn't mean that he/she is playing football for that team. I was just supporting my favorite "Team" and also supporting, hopefully, my future career. However, to show my gratitude and respect, I took of the jersey and promised not to wear it for the rest of the day. Now, this gentleman was rather old, so nothing happen, but if this was my fault, I don't want to bump into any DI's any time soon.
So I was wondering, am I disrespecting the Corps if I wear a T-Shirt/Sweat Shirt that says "Marines" on it? If that's the case, I will not wear them again, until I have earned the title.

You did good and yest there are some of my generation old salts that take things bit to far and I hope you make in and get to receive that title of United State Marine it is a vary honored one wear it well:iwo::flag:

doc h fmf
04-09-10, 06:17 PM
Can We Corpman Wear Marine Corps Items?????

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Phantom Blooper
04-09-10, 06:27 PM
If you want to Doc....just tell them that you served with grunts!:evilgrin:

Skosh59
04-09-10, 06:55 PM
Can We Corpman Wear Marine Corps Items?????

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Yes you can wear MC items & according to your profile you are also eligable to join the Marine Corps League.

FYI:
Marine Corps League‎Desoto Detachment #588,
800 17th Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205-7609
(941) 741-8762‎

Big Jim
04-09-10, 08:14 PM

HELL YES.....!!! NEVER EVER try to claim to be a Marine when you have not earned that right.....ok? Not until you HAVE earned it...not one minute before....

Endurance89
04-09-10, 10:43 PM
I stowed all Marine Corps memorabilia in a drawer the second I began talking to a recruiter. I knew full well that in time, I would have earned the title, and be able to wear those items as a Marine. When I got home on the 5th, the day after I graduated, I layed them all out (along with some seriously motard tees I bought at the Marine Corps Merch. store at MCRD xD ) and have been wearing them since.

Nate catlett
04-10-10, 11:44 AM
Okay heres my thing with this. My now ex bro-in-law is a Marine, my father is a Marine, and 3 of my uncles are Marines. I have been sporting a high and tight since I was in 5th grade and wearing Marine Corps Tee shirts since I can remember. Its just a shirt. I would correct someone wearing a Marine Corps uniform if they weren't Marines, but not a dang tee shirt. Your right its like supporting your favorite team, and there is nothing wrong with that. Thank you for your support and the pride you have in wanting to become a Marine.

SwedishMarine
04-10-10, 01:51 PM
Thank You very much for your input, Marines.
Knowing that my question is getting answer by the best, and not by some 12 year old on yahoo answers, is a honor.

Thank You

SlingerDun
04-10-10, 03:44 PM
In the last episode of "Ultimate Fighter" UFC president Dana White was filmed wearing two different Marine Corps sweatshirts. Now that is effective target demographic advertising.

Lisa 23
04-10-10, 03:56 PM
In the last episode of "Ultimate Fighter" UFC president Dana White was filmed wearing two different Marine Corps sweatshirts. Now that is effective target demographic advertising.

I saw that too.

Old Marine
04-11-10, 10:13 AM

You should have told the old geezer to go pizz up a rope.

dROD20
04-12-10, 02:35 AM
as long as the gear is not Marine Corps issued, there is no problem wearing it