PDA

View Full Version : Requesting permission to enter

Maddog Merick
04-08-10, 02:58 PM
Good afternoon Marines,

Im a former Recruit from MCRD San Diego who got sent home in the middle of training for medical reasons. I never quit, but my kidneys threw a fit over something I was injected with and started failing (they called it Acute Renal Failure or something like that). It was a rare, freak reaction nobody could have predicted. But it ment my dreams of being a Marine where over. This devistated me so deeply that even now, 13 years later, im still trying to come to peace with it all.

I never quit, I never "washed out". I was a motivated Squad Leader whose physical scores where among the best in Hotel Company.
I wanted this, I went back to school and got a Diploma for this, I lived for this. Earning the title of Marine was the only thing I cared about.

I would constantly imagine standing at the top of a muddy hill at the end of the cruicible, my Drill Instructor in front of me with the Eagle Globe and Anchor in his hand, he would say "well done Marine". I would say "pin me bloody Sir!". I wanted him to pound that Eagle Globe and Anchor through cloth, flesh and bone and straight into my mother****ing heart."

Instead, I earned the lustrious title of "Broken Recruit" and was sent home, where I pretty much lost my mind for a while.

Eventually, my grandfather came to me and said "Carry on and quit your *****in boy, worse things happen to better men every day." He was a silent man, a retired old school USMC Seargent Major of the hardest calaber. He has seen and done things that would make Satan himself pray for repentance and never gave advice. I took it to heart and got my act together enough to make some plans. Acceptance came with time, and things got better as I went along, but there are still scars. One thing will never change though, I will always love the United States Marines.

So with your permission, this Broken Recruit would truley enjoy being a part of your online community.

Sincearly,

Erik Coryell
Former Recruit
Hotel Company 2055
MCRD San Digo.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 03:02 PM
Your not a Marine, so I really don't know why your profile states you as such!!!! If your looking for sympathy your not going to find it here, I would suggest you PM a MOD, and have your profile fixed.:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
04-08-10, 03:18 PM
While it is unfortunate that this happened to you, I agree with echo. You're not a Marine until you've EARNED the EAGLE, GLOBE and ANCHOR from recruit training and walked across that parade deck on graduation day.
So, yeah, you should PM a mod, thedrifter, jinelson or Sgt Leprechaun, and ask to have your status changed from Marine to Marine Friend.

Rocky C
04-08-10, 03:31 PM
13 years ago it was called the Cruicible???
Didn't know that!!!

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 04:24 PM
Ah he left, sorry to see he couldn't take a little flack when I told him he wasn't a Marine. 13 Years of "problems" for not being able to make it through Boot Camp. Yeah give me a friggin break.:thumbdown

Quinbo
04-08-10, 04:31 PM
You got injected with something that caused renal failure?

Maddog Merick
04-08-10, 04:31 PM
Why would I bother posting this thread if I wanted you all to think I was a Marine?

I never have, and never will pretend to be a Marine or a Veteran. Nor have I ever been so diluted as to think I somehow deserved those titles. So if my profile presents me as a Marine, Ill fix it or ask a mod to fix it. If by stating the company and platoon I trained in at the bottom of my pose appears misleading to you, ill take it off. The few weeks I was in training probably seem insignificant, but they meant everything to me. I wanted to represent them out of respect and to show pride in my platoon.

I made this thread to make sure nobody thought I was a Marine. (since this is a forum for Marines) and I am asking permission to be here because I am not a Marine.

Lisa 23
04-08-10, 04:37 PM
Well, for starters, when you made this account here, you shouldn't have registered as a Marine, you should've registered as a Marine Friend.
Also, you should've read the rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. If you did that, you would've read not to post in forums that you're not allowed in until you've EARNED the title, and to read the headers above each forums as a guide....Open Squad Bay is for Marines Only.
You can post in the Marine Family or Marine Corps recruits forums, with the exception of the poolee forum. That's for poolees only.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 04:39 PM
Why would I bother posting this thread if I wanted you all to think I was a Marine?

I never have, and never will pretend to be a Marine or a Veteran. Nor have I ever been so diluted as to think I somehow deserved those titles. So if my profile presents me as a Marine, Ill fix it or ask a mod to fix it. If by stating the company and platoon I trained in at the bottom of my pose appears misleading to you, ill take it off. The few weeks I was in training probably seem insignificant, but they meant everything to me. I wanted to represent them out of respect and to show pride in my platoon.

I made this thread to make sure nobody thought I was a Marine. (since this is a forum for Marines) and I am asking permission to be here because I am not a Marine.

Hell you don't need permission just make the proper profile, and go hangout in the Ask A Marine threads we'll talk with ya. I'll step back and say this much you act like your looking for some sympathy, and trust me your not going to get that man. You didn't make it through Boot, k you said yourself your comming to terms with that. However don't expect us to coddle you for that. I've seen Marines with alot worse problems than yours, and those fine Warriors come first. If you can handle a little flak stick around, have some beers, but don't expect us to always play nice. :marine:

SlingerDun
04-08-10, 04:39 PM
....this Broken Recruit would truley enjoy being a part of your online community....Nice story:marine: but you ****ed up the re-entrance. And don't behave like a human door mat, that don't get it h'yere abouts

tdrt
04-08-10, 04:41 PM
[quote=Maddog Merick;628958]my kidneys threw a fit over something I was injected with and started failing (they called it Acute Renal Failure or something like that). It was a rare, freak reaction nobody could have predicted. [quote]

What were you injected with? Was this as a recruit?

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 04:48 PM
I want to make this clear publicly I'm not disputing your medical condition by any means. I know people who have this, and its not a good thing.

USNAviator
04-08-10, 05:50 PM
Yes it was designed and implemented in '96. Has RI dried out yet Rocky?? Buddy of mine lives on Naraganset (SP?) Ave in Cranston, old Vic, right on the water. Still pumping out his basement

Rocky C
04-08-10, 06:11 PM
Yes it was designed and implemented in '96. Has RI dried out yet Rocky?? Buddy of mine lives on Naraganset (SP?) Ave in Cranston, old Vic, right on the water. Still pumping out his basement

Evening Commander!!!

It was called "Elliots Beach" at Parris Island when I went to Boot.

It's drying out slowly but Cranston and Warwick is still Under Water.
Those Poor people!!!

Garyius
04-08-10, 06:13 PM
I disagree. He enlisted and served. His was discharged for medical reasons not of his own making. He is a Marine.

Quinbo
04-08-10, 06:17 PM
ZZZZZ zzzz <br />
Are you saying that a young man joins then the day he signs the papers he is a Marine? Its the everybody gets a trophy mentality. Well hell I once parked my car at the pentagon so now I...

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 06:17 PM
Your opinion brother not mine, well disagree to disagree on this one :beer:

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 06:18 PM
That would make me a Marine. I don't rate that title, this coming from a Rct who got sent home medical. I know his pain...I was dropped late in training aswell...We were told until you take 1 step...

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 06:21 PM
When I was in you wernt a Marine until the day before Graduation when they presented you with your Eagle Globe, and Anchor, until then you where just another non-rate!

Rocky C
04-08-10, 06:23 PM
Big Statement Gary. <br />
Here we go with the Facts. <br />
Marines???

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 06:24 PM
When I was in you wernt a Marine until the day before Graduation when they presented you with your Eagle Globe, and Anchor, until then you where just another non-rate!

Changed with the addition of Admin/Marine week. Now you have to take 1 step on the hike back (to account for the people who got hurt and had to struggle through the crucible but completed it)

RYDERKUR
04-08-10, 06:24 PM
I find it ironic the two people who were med-sep'ed/retired whatever is giving this kid so much BS. Is it some sort of complex that your bodies lasted past the first 13 weeks but not an entire enlistment? The same thing happened to this kid as it did to you two, his just happened sooner. Congrats, your bodies made it 13 weeks! Sheesh, give this kid a break. Like I say, I just find it ironic, I'm not trying to step on any toes or start a urinating match, I just wanted to throw that out there.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 06:25 PM
Changed with the addition of Admin/Marine week. Now you have to take 1 step on the hike back (to account for the people who got hurt and had to struggle through the crucible but completed it)

zzzzzzzzzz

Lisa 23
04-08-10, 06:25 PM
I disagree with you. He was discharged early in boot camp, that doesn't make him a Marine. And I was always told that you're not a Marine until you walk across that parade deck on graduation day.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 06:27 PM
I find it ironic the two people who were med-sep'ed/retired whatever is giving this kid so much BS. Is it some sort of complex that your bodies lasted past the first 13 weeks but not an entire enlistment? The same thing happened to this kid as it did to you two, his just happened sooner. Congrats, your bodies made it 13 weeks! Sheesh, give this kid a break. Like I say, I just find it ironic, I'm not trying to step on any toes or start a urinating match, I just wanted to throw that out there.

If you reread my statement I stated publicly that I was not doging him on his medical condition. If you also reread I told him to to hang around in a few more posts. I stated the facts for him, and told him not to get any sympathy nothing more. I didn't take anything away from him on his medical condition. Reread what I wrote man

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 06:29 PM

If I got hurt for life 2 days before I shipped and SgtMajMC got hurt today do we really rate the same title? Where's the cutoff line? Get shot the day after you depped in...can we rate the title then? Not to sound like I rate even being in this conversation...but the point is he didn't make it through. He never earned his Eagle Globe and Anchor. It's nothing against him, hell he's in the same boat as me. All I'm saying is he and I don't rate the title of Marine...if he can't accept that, then that's a personal problem.

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 06:30 PM
Check the new requirements WMarine. You rate the title a week before graduation now.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-08-10, 06:32 PM
NOT a Marine. Period. You are a Marine when you cross the grinder (for the older Marines) or get told you are one in the Crucible, (for the newer Marines). (And yes I'm well aware of Marines who never completed Recruit Training, circa 1950, we aren't talking about that).

Therefore, the profile name is wrong. Marine Friend is correct.

BR34
04-08-10, 06:33 PM
The spare mag on his AK is without ammunition.

Add that to his list of discrepancies.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 06:35 PM
K well I will be the man here. I told the guy he was wrong, I told him to PM a MOD. He left, I told the board I was dissapointed he left, he came back, and I told him to stick around, but we where Marines, and don't always play nice. If I went overboard I apologize, I called it how I seen it.

RYDERKUR
04-08-10, 06:36 PM
If I got hurt for life 2 days before I shipped and SgtMajMC got hurt today do we really rate the same title? Where's the cutoff line? Get shot the day after you depped in...can we rate the title then? Not to sound like I rate even being in this conversation...but the point is he didn't make it through. He never earned his Eagle Globe and Anchor. It's nothing against him, hell he's in the same boat as me. All I'm saying is he and I don't rate the title of Marine...if he can't accept that, then that's a personal problem.

It's all in the heart. I've witnessed way to many "Marines" that don't rate to be called Marines. I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone in these situations saying, in my heart I'm a Marine, but to the Corps and most others, I guess I'm technically not. This kid never really claimed to be one. There was an oversight/confusion/mistake/in his heart he felt it. Whatever, have the Mods change it, this kid knows in his heart.

Quinbo
04-08-10, 06:36 PM
This one is sorta going nowhere. The lad bombed boot camp. Doesn't matter how it happened. Washed out.... day 1 or day 100. There is actually a MRP where kids get way sick they are givin a chance to recover and return to training. It is not a system where they say well we just gave you a shot of penncillian and now you're all frucked up so go home.

The BS meter is pegged out all the way to the right on this one.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-08-10, 06:37 PM
It's all good. He won't be returning for a day or two. Failure to read and follow the simple rules, and not a Marine. If someone wants to plead the case, then you can PM me, or he can. I"ll go from there.

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 06:44 PM
It's all in the heart. I've witnessed way to many "Marines" that don't rate to be called Marines. I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone in these situations saying, in my heart I'm a Marine, but to the Corps and most others, I guess I'm technically not. This kid never really claimed to be one. There was an oversight/confusion/mistake/in his heart he felt it. Whatever, have the Mods change it, this kid knows in his heart.

I'm again not saying he's a bad person, nor is he less of a person. All I said is he doesn't rate the title of United States Marine. In my heart I wear and Eagle Globe and Anchor all day, every day...In the manner I try to present myself to others. I was in his situation...spent time in training, MRP, RSP...I've been where he was. I love the Marine Corps, but that doesn't make me a Marine. It makes me a recruit who got busted up and put on the bus to Miami.

BR34
04-08-10, 07:19 PM

The kid in question is 31 years old.

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 07:24 PM
That particular Marine Friend is to speak to me before posting again. Sticking my neck out with Sgt Lep for him so he better fix up his profile so I can send a proper PM. Better be reading this!!!

Lisa 23
04-08-10, 07:37 PM
That particular Marine Friend is to speak to me before posting again. Sticking my neck out with Sgt Lep for him so he better fix up his profile so I can send a proper PM. Better be reading this!!!

That's Sgt Leprechaun, not Sgt Lep.
And since he's been put in a timeout for a day or two, he won't be fixing up his profile just yet, so you might want to hold off on sending him a PM.

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 07:40 PM
That's Sgt Leprechaun, not Sgt Lep.
And since he's been put in a timeout for a day or two, he won't be fixing up his profile just yet, so you might want to hold off on sending him a PM.

I've already talked to Sgt Leprechaun about the situation with him. I do apologize for the abbreviation of the Sgt's last name

benw2200
04-08-10, 09:56 PM
I don't see why everyone wants to get so butthurt over the whole "title" deal, who rates and who doesn't. It's stupid.

So guy #1 washes out of boot camp but he has the heart of a champion, soul of a warrior, living with regret that he didn't make it, blah blah blah. And then you have guy #2 who goes through boot, soi, all that deal.. he's a sh*tbag, picks up a few njps and page 11s, slimes his way through his 4 years and gets out as a terminal lance or pfc. But guy #2 earned THE TITLE!!!! while guy #1 didn't. Hmmm..

It is our actions that define us.

AAV Crewchief
04-08-10, 10:00 PM
I have to disagree.

SmithAdrian
04-08-10, 10:21 PM
I don't see why everyone wants to get so butthurt over the whole "title" deal, who rates and who doesn't. It's stupid.

So guy #1 washes out of boot camp but he has the heart of a champion, soul of a warrior, living with regret that he didn't make it, blah blah blah. And then you have guy #2 who goes through boot, soi, all that deal.. he's a sh*tbag, picks up a few njps and page 11s, slimes his way through his 4 years and gets out as a terminal lance or pfc. But guy #2 earned THE TITLE!!!! while guy #1 didn't. Hmmm..

It is our actions that define us.

Its not about who's better suited, It's about one being a Marine, and one not being a Marine. Why are you getting defensive over him being told he's not a Marine. Technically speaking he's not a Marine. He may turn into the greatest thing to ever grace the earth, but that still doesn't rate him the title of Marine. I was sent home during the recruit rush last year. Tore my knee to ****. Was I better suited to become a Marine than some of the guys in my Plt that graduated? Damn right...but as it stands right now...they are Marines, and I am not.

matrix0775
04-08-10, 10:22 PM
First things first!!! You need to find out what you were injected with that caused this renial failure.. This is for your protection and health concerns. O K you did not make it through Basic Training. Your not the only one who washes out . There were 45 recruits in my platoon. 32 graduated basic training. But it was not your fault what happened to you. So I am in agreement with Garyius on the matter. When i was under going Basic training there was a young recruit that sustained a severe concusion during the Hitting Skills training. The young man was slammed down to the deck so hard that it rendered the young man knocked out and in seizers.. Yea for all you marines that are thinking ( Get some) He got served!!!! That was not the case The young man later Died do to complications relateing to the injury. They sent aletter home to his mother telling her that her son had earned the title U S Marine. What is the difference between these two cases. Besides one when home in a Bag, and the other one left under his own accord. But both were related medical issues not just because they were crap.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 10:30 PM
First things first!!! You need to find out what you were injected with that caused this renial failure.. This is for your protection and health concerns. O K you did not make it through Basic Training. Your not the only one who washes out . There were 45 recruits in my platoon. 32 graduated basic training. But it was not your fault what happened to you. So I am in agreement with Garyius on the matter. When i was under going Basic training there was a young recruit that sustained a severe concusion during the Hitting Skills training. The young man was slammed down to the deck so hard that it rendered the young man knocked out and in seizers.. Yea for all you marines that are thinking ( Get some) He got served!!!! That was not the case The young man later Died do to complications relateing to the injury. They sent aletter home to his mother telling her that her son had earned the title U S Marine. What is the difference between these two cases. Besides one when home in a Bag, and the other one left under his own accord. But both were related medical issues not just because they were crap.

With all due respect Sir, I don't think anyone was taking his medical condition, and using that against him. Myself for one was not, I even stated that publicly to everyone. Hell I was medically seperated myself from the Corps. But that has nothing to do with this particular issue. Like I said before, I simply stated he was not a Marine, and his profile needed to reflect as such. Like Rydeker said no one is hear to start a pizzing match. There are those of us that have our beliefs that unless you cross the grinder at the end of Boot, your not a Marine. I have to say I agree with Bulkyer on an issue to, thats a reason MRP is there. How long was he in MRP, was he afforded the option to heal, and return to training, does he still have this medical problem. I agree if he does he should stay on top of that. There are so many unknowns in this issue. Not trying to take away what your saying, but I'm just saying to. :marine:

USNAviator
04-08-10, 10:30 PM
"Eventually, my grandfather came to me and said "Carry on and quit your *****in boy, worse things happen to better men every day." He was a silent man, a retired old school USMC Seargent Major of the hardest calaber. He has seen and done things that would make Satan himself pray for repentance and never gave advice. I took it to heart and got my act together enough to make some plans. Acceptance came with time, and things got better as I went along, but there are still scars. One thing will never change though, I will always love the United States Marines."

WOW my compliments. I saw on your personal web page you are an artiste! Yes you are!! Well done!!!

Cannot comment on your inclusion/exclusion as a Marine. That is up to the Real Marines on this site. I leave it up to a higher pay grade.

But I also advise to come clean, back off on the flowery rhetoric and simply join as a Friend. Most Marines here will embrace you when you square away the bull sh$t. Good luck to you.

Dan

matrix0775
04-08-10, 10:32 PM
[quote=matrix0775;629183]First things first!!! You need to find out what you were injected with that caused this renial failure.. This is for your protection and health concerns. O K you did not make it through Basic Training. Your not the only one who washes out . There were 45 recruits in my platoon. 32 graduated basic training. But it was not your fault what happened to you. So I am in agreement with Garyius on the matter. When i was under going Basic training there was a young recruit that sustained a severe concusion during the Hitting Skills training. The young man was slammed down to the deck so hard that it rendered the young man knocked out and in seizers.. Yea for all you marines that are thinking ( Get some) He got served!!!! That was not the case The young man later Died do to complications relateing to the injury. They sent aletter home to his mother telling her that her son had earned the title U S Marine. What is the difference between these two cases. Besides one when home in a Bag, and the other one left under his own accord. But both were related medical issues not just because they were crap. I M sorry I am also in agreement with the many other marines here that have earned the Marine title. They earned it throught blood,sweat, and tears.The title is never given. So You never really earned the title. You've already excepted this and moved on with your life. Go to school and make something out of yourself.;)

matrix0775
04-08-10, 10:41 PM
I agree Echo. He did not earn the title that so many have earned and died protecting. There are so many out there that so to speak ( Fake the Funk) when it comes to them being a Marine. Which just ****es me off to no limit. OK This guy really screwed up by attempting to calim the title. I think that this guy needs to get ahold of his life and start moveing forward. He needs to stop makeing excusses.

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 10:42 PM
I agree Echo. He did not earn the title that so many have earned and died protecting. There are so many out there that so to speak ( Fake the Funk) when it comes to them being a Marine. Which just ****es me off to no limit. OK This guy really screwed up by attempting to calim the title. I think that this guy needs to get ahold of his life and start moveing forward. He needs to stop makeing excusses.

Rah!!!:thumbup:

USNAviator
04-08-10, 10:45 PM
Also you might want to consider changing the "Maddog" sobriquet. Bit over the top, don't you think??

Dan

echo3oscar1833
04-08-10, 11:00 PM
Hell to be honest I want the guy to come back, and follow up on the err's of his ways. Hold his head up high, and move on, someone dosn't have to be a Marine to be my friend. However when you come into our house with your profile jacked up, and your head down like a hurt little bird. You should not be suprised when we correct you and attempt to motivate you, its what we do as Marines. Yeah you know what it may be harsh, it may seem unfair, but its how we get things done. We've been doing it this way for 235 years, don't expect us to change. Our job as Marines is not just to complete missions around the world, but its also to help people in need. I for one will never turn someone away in need. :marine:

brian0351
04-09-10, 01:00 AM
Here's the thing that I have a question on.

He was injected with something that caused Renal failure. Don't you get all your injections in the 1st week of bootcamp? I would have been willing to extend him the courtesy of listening to his argument had he been dropped in late phase 2 or 3.

The question is now...what have you done for the Marine Corps since? Its been 13 years since he was dropped...has he donated his time to the Marines? Or the community in general?

In Wo3 Matrix's example a recruit died in the pursuit of the title so he was awarded it.
R. Lee Ermey was honorarily promoted to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant because of the positive image he has put forth in honor of the Marine Corps.

I would be willing to extend the title of Honorary Marine to anyone who had done something in their life to earn it.

SmithAdrian
04-09-10, 01:04 AM
Here's the thing that I have a question on.

He was injected with something that caused Renal failure. Don't you get all your injections in the 1st week of bootcamp? I would have been willing to extend him the courtesy of listening to his argument had he been dropped in late phase 2 or 3.

The question is now...what have you done for the Marine Corps since? Its been 13 years since he was dropped...has he donated his time to the Marines? Or the community in general?

In Wo3 Matrix's example a recruit died in the pursuit of the title so he was awarded it.
R. Lee Ermey was honorarily promoted to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant because of the positive image he has put forth in honor of the Marine Corps.

I would be willing to extend the title of Honorary Marine to anyone who had done something in their life to earn it.

Chuck Norris is an exception I guess? Just curious on that one I may be talking from my ass...it's happened before. Did he actually do anything for the Corps?