PDA

View Full Version : Cheers, tears for our troops

thedrifter
09-06-03, 05:48 AM
Cheers, tears for our troops
September 05,2003
MATT DEES
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It started with God and ended with rock'n'roll. In between, thousands braved the Jacksonville swelter Thursday to honor Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station troops who served overseas and those who kept active vigil at home.

They were called heroes, freedom fighters and guardians.

It stirred some to tears, many to cheers.

From the toddlers to the high school piccolo players to the troops themselves, the daylong celebration in downtown Jacksonville was touching at most, a lot of fun at the very least.

Thanks, memories

Anna Stamps was scared when her husband was deployed to Iraq.

Scared for him, scared for her three children, scared for herself.

She had been in Jacksonville less than a year when he got orders.

"I thought I was alone," she told a crowd gathered at the bank of New River for a Christian prayer service Thursday morning.

But she soon learned there were plenty of organizations and individuals willing to help.

"God and this community showed me I wasn't (alone)," Stamps said.

Mission Possible, run by Trinity United Methodist Church, provided a support group for Marine spouses.

Then there were "random acts of kindness."

Her pastor mowed her lawn. A stranger paid the bill for her and her children at a local restaurant.

"I felt safe in the arms of this community and the love of God," she said.

"This community opened its arms to guard (my husband's) family while he went to protect other families."

For this, she was thankful.

The Toll of the Ship's Bell, which commemorates Marines who "joined the Supreme Commander" in the war, sounded a somber note.

Marines stood at rapt attention as the names of local troops killed were read.

Battle of the bands

The Richlands High School Band wore jeans and blue denim shirts.

The 2nd Marine Division Band, predictably, was more spit-and-polish, their gleaming instruments tucked neatly under camouflage-clad arms.

Their music reflected the contrast.

Richlands blared out Smokey Robinson's "Get Ready."

The audience gathered at Riverwalk Crossing Park waiting for the 10 a.m. parade to start applauded.

Marine musicians followed with "Battle Cry of Freedom," not missing a note.

Richlands band members cheered their counterparts, a few jokesters shouting slightly sarcastic praises. The Marines couldn't resist cracking smiles.

By marching band standards, the next few moments were chaos, as both groups chattered and horseplayed until the Richlands band leader raised his hands.

Time for Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby," a crowd-pleasing favorite.

This time, the Marines turned to applaud. The high schoolers beamed.

Gung-ho goose bumps

The Beefeaters at Buckingham Palace have nothing on the Marines that marched in perfect unison down New Bridge Street in Jacksonville.

Grade-schoolers singing patriotic tunes heartily but off-key produced nary a quivering lip. Tiny 4-year-old hands clutching tiny signs that read "We Love You" didn't seem to do much either.

Each Marine stared straight ahead, steely jawed and stone-faced.

But don't be fooled.

"I had goose bumps," admitted Cpl. Brian Beaufort after the parade.

"It was everybody, but mostly the kids doing all the screaming for us. I've never been in a parade like this."

Child's play

As is often the case, the children that lined New Bridge Street were oblivious to their impact on adults.

The Smart Start class with hats made out of red, white and blue plastic bowls were the first to greet the marching troops.

The children, more than half of whom have military parents, waved tiny flags and clapped.

Maria Castilo's first-graders from Thompson Elementary School were more demonstrative.

A girl marched in time, mimicking the passing troops and squealing, "lef, lef, lef, right, lef."

Her classmates joined in quickly enough.

Were they overjoyed to see Marines back home, a war won?

Not really, Castilo said.

"They kept asking me, 'Why are they doing this?'" Castilo said, keeping her eye on her energetic brood.

"They don't know. I had one child mention Saddam Hussein. One out of 21.

"They're just happy they're getting out of school for a little while."

Southern hospitality

A summer shower didn't stop people from taking advantage of the 10,000 free lunches offered after the parade.

All were gone within a few hours.

The more intrepid just ate through the shower, which was welcome after a hot morning on the pavement. Others sought refuge under tents and New River Shopping Center breezeways.

As rain poured, Marines said the day's events were more than a patronizing gesture.

"This right here proves it's not," said Lance Cpl. Billie Herring, pointing to the thousands of civilian supporters that showed up for the parade.

"I don't see why anybody would doubt that after this."

Herring had seen military parades before in other cities.

"I've never seen myself on the other side of it," he said.

"Now I am, and it feels good."

Contact Matt Dees at mdees@jdnews.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 239.

http://www.jdnews.com/Photo/090503_homecomingband.jpg

Don Bryan/Daily News
Marching down the street under 'Old Glory.'

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=Details.cfm&StoryID=15712&Section=News

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: