PDA

View Full Version : Some Reserve Questions

Bridgeburner
04-07-10, 08:51 PM
Good evening Marines,

I'm a college student looking into enlisting in the USMCR. The USMCR unit I would hope to be assigned to (as it is the closest), is the 3/25 Marines. They are slated for deployment sometime this year. Unfortunately, that means that upon completion of Boot Camp and SOI, my unit would be in the middle of their deployment.

What would that mean for me? Would I be able to volunteer for a deployment with another unit while my unit is deployed? (I found this thread here: http://www.leatherneck.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94750 that deals with volunteering for deployments as a reservist, but doesn't mention anything about being assigned to a currently deployed unit).

Or would I be shipped off to the unit while in country? Or would I remain home at the reserve center?

Thank you for your time,

Bridgeburner

Lisa 23
04-07-10, 09:14 PM
First of all, have you even talked with a recruiter or taken the ASVAB test yet? Do you have any weight to lose, or have any medical or criminal problems that may require a waiver?
While it's great to want to know all of this, take it one step at a time.

Bridgeburner
04-07-10, 09:38 PM
First of all, have you even talked with a recruiter or taken the ASVAB test yet? Do you have any weight to lose, or have any medical or criminal problems that may require a waiver?
While it's great to want to know all of this, take it one step at a time.

Yes I've spoken with a recruiter. As far as ASVAB, I took the practice one at the recruiting station. I got a score in the mid 90s (I believe that was just a percentage correct of the practice questions; not sure how good of a gauge that is of my actual score). I'm well within weight standards, no medical or criminal problems. I have not taken a PFT or anything like that yet, but I'd guess I'd score around 230 or so.

The recruiter I spoke to wasn't enthusiastic about the Reserves, and not really answering a lot of my Reserve-specific questions, which is why I've taken to poking around here.

echo3oscar1833
04-07-10, 09:51 PM
Well if and when you make it through Boot, and MCT, and MOS Training. The chance of you getting to go meet up with your unit while they are on deployment all depends. Most of it would come down to Manpower while they are there if they need more personel they will send new Marines showing up to your unit. I would be under the assumption that most likely not though. When I was in during 03 I was working Logistics/Manpower for my Unit when they deployed to Iraq for the invasion. For a while we would ship new Marines out, but then we got orders to not send anymore because Billets, and Plts where full up. Just depends on Misson needs more or less. As far as getting to go with another unit, yeah you can volunteer. You have to find a unit that is going on rotation though, and would would have to do work ups with that unit. That could be an issue depending on how far away that unit actually is from your current unit. Again I stress this, its all about Manpower.

echo3oscar1833
04-07-10, 09:55 PM
Oh and doing a work up in a short period of a time is a pain in the butt. We had to do abbreviated training for the new guys when they came in. Plus we still had to get them checked in, and gear issue. Then hit the ramp at crazy hours for MOS training. We did this in about a two week rotation at a time. Then we would ship them out, sucks but its the nature of the business :marine:

Blutic
04-08-10, 07:20 AM
I was a Platoon Commander in that unit (Moundsville). No one can give you a firm answer. It's a risk you're taking by enlisting. If you're needed, you'll go.