PDA

View Full Version : 3000 miles and bad timing - Missing his girlfriend's graduation from Parris Island.

Sempermom66
04-06-10, 01:46 PM
Okay, Marines -- be gentle with me.

In the space of a year, I have two sons who finished Boot at MCRD last April and both are LCpls in California...

And my daughter is due to graduate Parris Island in a couple of weeks.

Her boyfriend pursued a release from his enlistment in the Army so that he could become a Marine...he graduated MCRD and SOI in the autumn, and is now stationed at 29 Palms.

He has available leave time and requested leave to attend her graduation -- he wanted to propose to her before he ships in July -- it was denied by Battalion command, due to "battalion effects during that time frame."

I take it that battalion effects means "training."

While he knows he will get leave at the end of June for predeployment, my daughter will be at school during that period.

Here are my questions:

Is there any recourse for him to get to Parris Island?
If NO, can my daughter stay at 29 Palms billetting as a new Marine so that they can see each other before she heads to NC for MCT?

I know that the Corps is no place for sentimentality. My Recruit daughter doesn't know about any of this. Her PFC boyfriend has not asked for other ideas...

This is all from my vantage...Remember, I was drafted into this position.

I appreciate comments, advice...but please, don't try to crush my sentimentality like a Marlboro in last night's pizza box...

tdrt
04-06-10, 02:01 PM
I appreciate comments, advice...but please, don't try to crush my sentimentality like a Marlboro in last night's pizza box...

LOL -- We'll try.

If his command said no, then there's really no recourse.

And yes, if she has the available leave time, she can certainly go to visit him.

Quinbo
04-06-10, 02:02 PM
It's battalion FX (field exercise). Normally no leave during any of them. Could they plan a get together after she completes MCT and he has pre deployment leave?

AAV Crewchief
04-06-10, 02:15 PM
Well, if I were Commandant, no Marines below E-5 would ever be married.

It's just from the practical standpoint that you are 1) Young, 2) Young in your career when you should spend time becoming proficient at your job and not distracted by other issues, 3) learning to live with another person when you are still learning to be on your own is difficult, 4) ***fidelity issues and separation anxiety which leads to more problems that the Shirt ends up dealing with and puts you on the CACA list, 5) and worst of all no money when the kids start getting produced.

Personally, if they are meant to be, this relationship should wait until the deployment is complete. If one or the other can't be faithful in this time period, there is your sign.

I am sure it sounds harsh, but the Corps can be HARSH on relationships. Mission first is more than just a saying.

Sempermom66
04-06-10, 02:23 PM
Thank you for your response. When I texted to the boyfriend that she could get a billeting room on the Base, the poor guy responded, "By God, this ain't romantic..." I couldn't have custom-ordered a more wonderful future son-in-law.

vipere6
04-06-10, 02:27 PM
:evilgrin:Like they use to say. If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.:thumbup:

Reddog48
04-06-10, 02:29 PM
wow...3 kids in the Marine Corps. God bless you.

Sempermom66
04-06-10, 02:35 PM

It's just from the practical standpoint that you are 1) Young, 2) Young in your career when you should spend time becoming proficient at your job and not distracted by other issues, 3) learning to live with another person when you are still learning to be on your own is difficult, 4) ***fidelity issues and separation anxiety which leads to more problems that the Shirt ends up dealing with and puts you on the CACA list, 5) and worst of all no money when the kids start getting produced.

Personally, if they are meant to be, this relationship should wait until the deployment is complete. If one or the other can't be faithful in this time period, there is your sign.

I am sure it sounds harsh, but the Corps can be HARSH on relationships. Mission first is more than just a saying.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I agree with you completely...Actually I weighed in on another forum with the same argument last year.

But life is a case-by-case, moving situational target.

These two kids have been together for 3 1/2 years...most of them from a distance of more than 50 miles apart -- got to see each other about once a month -- and they did their jobs.

We're already working on Plan B -- sending her to him. Unless we can arrange a death in the family ON Parris Island...or if we can locate somebody with some pull...

MARINE CORPS!

Sempermom66
04-06-10, 02:42 PM
wow...3 kids in the Marine Corps. God bless you.
A chain reaction. A paradigm shift in the ordinance of plate tectonics... I don't understand why I haven't gotten a thank you card from the Commander in Chief...

Quinbo
04-06-10, 02:46 PM
I've searched my brain housing group for a scenario where a boot on leave could just ramdomly go to 29 palms and get billeting, meals and transportation. I can't think of one where the stars line up. Seriously? Are they planning on hiding her in the barracks or something?

It is unrealistic to plan on burning 10 days boot leave to fly to LAX then line up some sort of transportation to 29 palms then get billeting and a meal pass then get a ride back to the airport and fly to NC for follow on training. You pull it off and she'll still spend most of her time sitting in a hotel watching tv.

Her boyfriend might get some libbo but trust me the command aint gonna drop everything so a PFC can spend some time with his girlfriend.

gijimsmom
06-20-10, 07:18 PM
[quote=AAV Crewchief;628111]Well, if I were Commandant, no Marines below E-5 would ever be married.

I guess I should stop asking my son being that he is E-3 if he has met a girl then, huh?

Wyoming
06-20-10, 07:31 PM
don't try to crush my sentimentality like a Marlboro in last night's pizza box...

Permission to use this quote?

Love it.

SlingerDun
06-20-10, 08:15 PM
I guess I should stop asking my son being that he is E-3 if he has met a girl then, huh?good idea although a chronically broke NCO is also a sorry creature

Gunner 0313
06-20-10, 09:30 PM
http://richardwiseman.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/cigarette_butt.jpg

+

http://www.momgoesgreen.com/wp-content//zza-box.jpg

USMCmomma2011
09-28-11, 04:22 PM

LOL - Can my son be in your command? For what it's worth I agree! Even though I married at 17 and am happily still married to that wonderful man 27 years later!

joseywales
09-28-11, 05:38 PM
1 year old thread

Old Marine
09-28-11, 05:56 PM
I've searched my brain housing group for a scenario where a boot on leave could just ramdomly go to 29 palms and get billeting, meals and transportation. I can't think of one where the stars line up. Seriously? Are they planning on hiding her in the barracks or something?

It is unrealistic to plan on burning 10 days boot leave to fly to LAX then line up some sort of transportation to 29 palms then get billeting and a meal pass then get a ride back to the airport and fly to NC for follow on training. You pull it off and she'll still spend most of her time sitting in a hotel watching tv.

Her boyfriend might get some libbo but trust me the command aint gonna drop everything so a PFC can spend some time with his girlfriend.

They used to have a place called the Hostess House on most bases, but these days they probably call it something else. A room was pretty cheap there and you could stay for a few days and visit whomever. Used to be reservations were required about a month before the stay.

Old Marine
09-28-11, 05:58 PM
What's up with bringing back these old threads?