PDA

View Full Version : off to DI school I go!

WillyP6531
04-06-10, 12:48 AM
Well I'm. New to the site I have been looking around for awhile but finally decided to join and check it out. Nice place with good info. I have been in our beloved Corps for going on 9 years and I check into DI shook tomorrow April6 at MCRD San Diego. I went to PI ah the memories. I've done 3 Iraq and 1 Afghan deployment. I love being a Marine and now I want to train the future of our Corps. I've been anticipating thus for awhile finally got the wife to sign off on it.

Jarhead3537
04-06-10, 12:57 AM
You better be ready to get slayed!

WillyP6531
04-06-10, 12:58 AM
I'm about as ready as I can be...I'm sure ill get my mind changed real quick....

Jarhead3537
04-06-10, 01:01 AM
Time you graduate, I'll be off the depot. goes by quick down here

CH53MetalMan
04-06-10, 04:59 AM
I think the vocal cords are the weakest link. They get abused without ample recovery time.

tdrt
04-06-10, 08:42 AM
Good Luck!

gwamo1
04-06-10, 08:49 AM
Good luck. Their are a lot of opprotunities apon a successful completion DI tour. Someones husband I work with was a DI and now he is a DI at OCS. You can either get stationed here and become permanent personel or come here TAD in the summer. Also college ROTCs are always looking for hire former DIs to help out with their program. All in all he made it sound like it was not a bad deal. Good luck!

Rocky C
04-06-10, 08:49 AM
Well I'm. New to the site I have been looking around for awhile but finally decided to join and check it out. Nice place with good info. I have been in our beloved Corps for going on 9 years and I check into DI shook tomorrow April6 at MCRD San Diego. I went to PI ah the memories. I've done 3 Iraq and 1 Afghan deployment. I love being a Marine and now I want to train the future of our Corps. I've been anticipating thus for awhile finally got the wife to sign off on it.

:usmc::thumbup::usmc:.
Good Luck.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

ameriken
04-06-10, 08:53 AM
Awesome! Check in and let us know how you're doing. Semper Fi :iwo:

WillyP6531
04-06-10, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the support! Excuse my typing.....it is on a driod. So it will hit auto type sometimes....plus I guess there is a way to display ur rank? Well I am a Sgt of Marines. Just clearing up any future claims of me being phony. To the Commander that called me out via PM...I can go one for one with your facts if needed I am not thigh to be disrespectful, but I don't quite appreciate vertigo called a fake Marine.

SEMPER FI
Sgt Hamlett

WillyP6531
04-06-10, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the support! Excuse my typing.....it is on a driod. So it will hit auto type sometimes....plus I guess there is a way to display ur rank? Well I am a Sgt of Marines. Just clearing up any future claims of me being phony. To the Commander that called me out via PM...I can go one for one with your facts if needed I am not thigh to be disrespectful, but I don't quite appreciate vertigo called a fake Marine.

SEMPER FI
Sgt Hamlett

RLE0352
04-06-10, 11:46 PM
Best of luck Sergeant!

HYDRATEORDIE
04-07-10, 05:58 AM
Lean Back and take a full 30 inch step... Good Luck!

AAV Crewchief
04-07-10, 06:37 AM
That would have been the route I took had I stayed in the Corps and then a tour on Embassy Duty afterwards.

1stSgtMell
04-07-10, 09:16 AM
Sgt Hamlett,
Good luck to you on your choice for going the Drill Instructor route. It's going to be one of the most trying but also the most productive time in your career. You'll be ahead of your non Drill Instructor buddies in getting promoted, not to mention the prestige that goes along with being a maker of Marines.
I was there from '58 to '60 as a young Seargent E-4 and was selected for SgtMajor 13 years later. I turned it down to retire because I didn't care for the way the Marine Corps was heading after Vietnam. Lots of druggies and long hairs and it was tolerated to a degree. Thank God we made a great comeback in the early eighties and is one helluva fighting force again.
Put your mind to what's ahead and don't look back and those 12 weeks will be over in no time.
Semper Fi,
Jerry Mell

Endurance89
04-07-10, 11:01 AM
As a recent graduate, I have a lot of respect for Drill Instructors and what they do---make Marines.

I wish you the best of luck.

Semper Fi.

duragliter
04-07-10, 12:50 PM
I don't know how it is now but, when I went to DIScol SD (1980) they tried to have a good diversity in the PT program.

Sometimes, we'd (40 students) used to suit-up and head out to Pacific Beach and Balboa park for the daily friggan' fifty and running all over the place. Two hills come to mind, Little Agony and Big Agony...

You'll enjoy the jets.

Good luck

usmc3yang
04-08-10, 09:15 PM
Good luck brother!

WillyP6531
04-11-10, 02:27 PM
thank 1stSgt for the insight. and to the rest for all the support. I'll tell ya what the vocal cords are Done Sir Done that is for sure! Yeah the first week is gone and well the weekend has been busy as well spending time with fam and getting uniforms ready and all the other jive with studying. but hey i enjoyed it. stress level is a little lower now had time to relax and let it loose. back again tomorrow!! :evilgrin: