PDA

View Full Version : Age of Recruits in basic?

msudawg985
04-04-10, 09:39 PM
I am bout to turn 27 years old. I know I will be one of the older Recruits in basic training (bootcamp). My real question is will I be the oldest one in my platoon?

polizei
04-04-10, 09:40 PM
Well, you don't have a profile...so start with reading the rules.

Lisa 23
04-04-10, 09:43 PM
How about filling out all of your profile and read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
The Marines here have no idea if you're going to be the oldest in your platoon when you get to "boot camp". The only way you're going to find that out is when you get to MCRD.

msudawg985
04-04-10, 09:45 PM
sorry bout the rules guys..... I will get on making a COMPLETE profile

Lisa 23
04-04-10, 09:52 PM
sorry bout the rules guys..... I will get on making a COMPLETE profile

That's Marines to you, not guys.

msudawg985
04-04-10, 10:04 PM
completed profile

dizark
04-04-10, 10:44 PM
I went through boot and turned 26 while there. You might be the oldest in your platoon, but I'm sure you'll find someone older in the same company. I know of a 28 year old and a 30 year old that were going through, although I was the oldest in my specific platoon.

Age doesn't play much factor as you're all treated mostly the same. You'll be called the old man by other recruits and it continues in the fleet. Best of luck to you.

SlingerDun
04-04-10, 11:01 PM
My real question is will I be the oldest one in my platoon?Maybe, do you feel old?

Make damn sure that taking orders from younger people does not twist your nuts. Try it out at home first...

--->Dave

FattyTheFerret
04-04-10, 11:26 PM
You might be. Depending on the drill instructors they might also toss you into some kind of leadership position because of it. You may be treated slightly more like an adult than the average 18/19 year old in the platoon but if you are, they will also expect more of you.

Note that you will also likely be older than most if not all of your drill instructors. And when you get through your SOI instructors may be younger than you or at least near the same age. MOS school instructors and your NCOs in the fleet will likely be younger than you. You'll be taking orders from a Corporal that was still watching Pokemon when you graduated high school. Not saying that's bad or good, but you should realize that it's going to happen.

Zulu 36
04-04-10, 11:59 PM
You might be. Depending on the drill instructors they might also toss you into some kind of leadership position because of it. You may be treated slightly more like an adult than the average 18/19 year old in the platoon but if you are, they will also expect more of you.

Note that you will also likely be older than most if not all of your drill instructors. And when you get through your SOI instructors may be younger than you or at least near the same age. MOS school instructors and your NCOs in the fleet will likely be younger than you. You'll be taking orders from a Corporal that was still watching Pokemon when you graduated high school. Not saying that's bad or good, but you should realize that it's going to happen.

What's more, that Corporal may have two combat tours under his belt too.

echo3oscar1833
04-05-10, 09:02 AM

I'll take experience over age anyday of the week. Good point Zulu :thumbup::thumbup:

Tookie22
04-05-10, 09:43 AM
You might be the oldest we had some one who was 28 the max age and we called him grandpa. I was 17 when I went through. It honestly doesn't matter except for a couple jokes and realizing you probably shouldve joined sooner

Hanzo
04-05-10, 10:04 AM
We had a recruit in my platoon who came in at 31. He was dropped due to breaking his hip. Oh, the irony! :marine:

FattyTheFerret
04-05-10, 08:52 PM

Exactly. He'll know the job better, that's why he's got the stripe.

And also be prepared because sometimes a young 20 year old Corporal might go to a brand new 26 year old Lance Coconut for more real-life advice that he wouldn't be able to get from his older NCOs. It goes both ways. Just realize that what one chooses to do at 18 does not define that person. You're no less of a Marine for enlisting later but those younger ones are no less Marines simply because they're younger.

derikdrock1989
04-05-10, 09:39 PM
I just got out of boot 3 days ago. We had a guy in my platoon who was actually my rack mate. Great guy. He was 28 years old. He was a bit slower and his pft was lower but he was still just a normal nasty recruit like the rest of us.

fespar
04-06-10, 09:41 AM
I was 30 years old when I graduated from MCRD,San Diego in 1981.As for a lower PFT score,age is taken into account when figuring out your score.Your say 250 is better than a 250 for an 18 year old.I was "the old man",never had a problem with that.

sully0331
04-06-10, 12:15 PM
I had a guy with me who was 32 everytime the DI's shouted Grand Old Man of the Marine Corps? We were to shout his name. Good times, and we also called him the Silver Bullet

SlingerDun
04-06-10, 04:30 PM
we also called him the Silver Bulletprone to dehydration??

sully0331
04-07-10, 07:57 AM
Yes and his head of grey hair