PDA

View Full Version : USMC Mess Night- who's done it?

CplAllen
04-03-10, 06:34 AM
I mean the REAL DEAL. The drinking, stories from the big dogs... who has participated in this awesome Marine Corps tradition?

CplAllen
04-03-10, 06:39 AM
For those of you who aren't familiar with the USMC Mess Night, check it out here

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marinemess.htm

CplAllen
04-03-10, 06:46 AM
BTW, I've only done it once in my entire life and I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity. Very cool time, hearing stories and toasting our brothers before us. I hope they still do this as it is a valuable tradition.

Our base CO told an AMAZING story that involved the Marins during the late 1700's who were on a ship. Back in those days they had to bring all of their water with them in the ships hold. However, they also "acquired" a large amount of rum which was also kept below deck. Long story short, the water went stagnant from sitting there, untouched.

Quinbo
04-03-10, 06:52 AM
Did a couple and everyone should get the chance.

Mr. Vice there is a fire in the bathroom and I must go put it out. Sit Down!
I declare this beef tasty and fit to be eaten.
There are toasts and speaches and pomp and circumstance. It is a great time.
There is a lot of drinking but really a lot of commradarie too.

There are fines for everything and all is tossed on the bar at the end of the night.
I fine you 50 cents for speaking out of turn.... but all I have is a five dollar bill .... Ok I fine you 5 dollars for speaking out of turn.

I wish every single Marine would just once have the oppurtunity to particpate in one.

Don't guzzle the grog or you'll get fined.

thewookie
04-03-10, 06:59 AM
Did one in Okinawa, it was -- different. Kind of reminds me of a comedy roast, in a military way.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 07:08 AM
Did one in Okinawa, it was -- different. Kind of reminds me of a comedy roast, in a military way.

Totally agree with this.

TinDragon
04-03-10, 07:11 AM
I went to one last year. If I remember right, it was the day after my 20th birthday. Had a lot more fun than I expected to.

Bunch of the senior SNCOs and Officers got fined for "imitating" famous celebrities. By imitating, I mean the one fining them picked celebrities that shared like one trait with the accused. It was hilarious.

Oh yeah, and someone had Popeyes chicken delivered to someone else.

Quinbo
04-03-10, 07:26 AM
The toasts are all with this nasty port wine. No glass empty before a toast. I can't remember ... maybe 20 toasts. 20 times you take a slug of that crap and the waiters just keep filling your glass up. Then bring on the grog. Some maple syrup rum concoction that would make a billy goat puke.

You can not leave the table without permission. Some of us were pretty much ready to put out a fire in the head long before we got permission to leave. There are some funny excuses for wanting to leave. Mr. Vice a corpsman has fallen and he can't get up request myself and 3 other Marines go and render assistance. Ok that was a good one ... go. Pay a fine when you get back.

TinDragon
04-03-10, 07:42 AM
We had a couple people that actually managed to sneak there and back without getting caught for leaving without requesting permission.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 08:35 AM
Oh yea. Once everyone starts drinking they don't really realize that it will have to come out sometime. Great stuff. I wish I could do that again.

echo3oscar1833
04-03-10, 09:21 AM
I did one in 02, at Camp Lejuene it was one of the best Marine Corps experiences I had. :marine:. By the end of the night a few Marines went a little crazy on the booze. Had one Marine standing in front of the Company Office, waiting to see the CO for trying to pick a drunk fight with a Gunny that night. :D

firedog974
04-03-10, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I have been to a couple. My unit in HI had one, and we had one in Sgt's course. Here is a pic from the one my unit had. You can tell by the way we are all opening our collars that everyone was a little on the tipsy side.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 09:49 AM
Nice pic firedog. Love the guy on the far right trying to be civil.

firedog974
04-03-10, 09:57 AM
The funniest part of that pic is there is a current (active) 1st Lt, 3 CWO's, and 2 GySgt's in it. I hope their junior Marines don't see this...they could learn their bosses used to get down when they were Cpl's!:D

tdrt
04-03-10, 10:06 AM
Been to quite a few! They are awesome.

duragliter
04-03-10, 11:40 AM
This thread makes me want to address the Mess and request permission to shed a tear for Lord Admiral Nelson... (standing head-call)

CplAllen
04-03-10, 12:43 PM
Hahaha. Nice. Forgot about that.

Kegler300
04-03-10, 02:22 PM
I enjoyed the "kangaroo courts," ridiculous fines, revelry, and basic drunkedness...

kaboom1371
04-03-10, 09:48 PM

yep, that's where I did the only one I was able to go to. Only got to do one Marine Corps ball to. That was at Courthouse Bay so, you can assume how much fun that was.:sick:

The best was the "troop appreciation nights" and "bosses nights" that we had at Camp Hansen. That was some of the wildest free for all nights. :beer:

Komenko
04-03-10, 09:52 PM
I've done several of them and the best was with Gunny in 2005!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=69803&dateline=1262248701&type=profile

kaboom1371
04-03-10, 09:57 PM
I've done several of them and the best was with Gunny in 2005!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=69803&dateline=1262248701&type=profile
Hell yeah, I bet that was a real treat....

TJR1070
04-03-10, 10:00 PM
My Marine Corps League went to one at another Detachment not too long ago, just as fun as when I was active and went to one in Oki.

hussaf
04-03-10, 10:58 PM
Myself and a couple of my friends actually prefer Mess Nights to the Ball.

Quick question, one of my old platoon sergeants said that its more traditional to have a field mess night than a dress mess night. Has anyone else heard this before? I've only done a Dress Mess so I can't compare the two.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 11:51 PM
1984 (or was it '83...), at Marine Barracks, Annapolis, with Colonel John Ripley!

1986, Parris Island, SC, while in the old time NCO School.

Both were cool as all git out.

CplAllen
04-04-10, 12:43 AM

Quick question, one of my old platoon sergeants said that its more traditional to have a field mess night than a dress mess night. Has anyone else heard this before? I've only done a Dress Mess so I can't compare the two.

I agree with this. I have been to the Ball and a Mess Night and I have to agree that Mess Night is one of the things that many Marines don't get to experience.

Komenko
04-04-10, 03:57 AM

i've done both. my 1999 2nd CEB Alpha Company field mess night was crazy. Saw a LCpl order a Captain to start doing push-ups and the Captain did them and my Platoon Officer reading everyone their rights. all were drunk as hell lmao. but to answer your question its all in how the unit wants it done! you can either have dress or drunken mess lol

HOWARDROARK3043
04-04-10, 05:13 AM
I HEARD that they did one in Afghanistan,,,,I Heard that it was pretty cool ---to take your mond away from things while deployed..............

""""GySgt_____________ is so bored at mess night that he brought a playboy to pass the time..........................hahahaahahha........ .....

rheinmark187
04-04-10, 03:22 PM
I mean the REAL DEAL. The drinking, stories from the big dogs... who has participated in this awesome Marine Corps tradition?

I did it with BLT 1/3 on Camp Hanson back in 2005. It turned out to be a lot of fun, and the food is very good.

Blizter Soup
04-04-10, 06:19 PM
Did one in Camp Fuji while on UDP back in '06. Almost everybody was drunk, enlisted and officers alike. Had a lot of skits which involved imitating fellow Marines throughout the chain of command, (was involved in one where I had to imitate our CO). Funny sh!t and good times.

kfisbusy
04-04-10, 09:20 PM
:evilgrin:I did one in Okinawa. I did both at Parris Island. I had a great time at both. SSGT. Francisco:flag::iwo:.

SemperFiPops
09-24-11, 04:22 AM
Do you know where I can find a way to search graduates from a 1972 boot camp?

yankee pappa 13
09-26-11, 02:51 PM
My unit had a blast in england with brtish marines we were in the castle at portsmouth marine barracks we had trained hard in norway for weeks we all drank sang ,toasted our common ancestery,brother marines in full dress uniforms they thought we were the best of the best since as corp. And sgts. We were so young they enlist for 2 12 and life. They were great, i got so drunk out in town a frrind cpl. Enfinger was going back to ship and lost his cover so i got wrote up when i showed up with no cover anything for a brother