PDA

View Full Version : Pertaining to Reserve Duty

midwest
04-02-10, 03:12 PM
Hey Marines,

Im new to the site, but have been researching for a long time here. I created an account to ask a question that I can't get an answer to.

I live in Kansas City, 27 years old. Im working my way into a SWAT tryout in the near future for the KCPD. I have a good career started but want to serve in the military. I want to sign a UZ contract (Yeah I know another Recon Chaser). Truth is I would be more than happy ending up in the infantry, so Im not just shooting blind here. In Kansas City, we have 4thMar division. However, the nearest Recon division to me is Joliet, Illinois, or San Antonio Texas. Drive time is 8 hours, and flight cost is about $230.

I want to sign the UZ contract, then tryout, hopefully make it, and proceed through training. My question is will I have to report to monthly reserve drilling after training in Joliet or San Antonio, or can I drill in KC where I live? I can't afford to fly every month. I would appreciate any replies. Thanks to you Marines on here for your service.

Lisa 23
04-02-10, 03:16 PM
I can't help you with your questions, but it would be great if you would fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to :thumbup:....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

tdrt
04-02-10, 03:20 PM
Not quite sure here, but I think it would depend on what MOS you end up with and the unit.

Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

midwest
04-02-10, 03:29 PM
I have read the rules, and updated my profile, Thanks for the heads up. I haven't talked to the recruiters because Im trying to get as squared away as I can before approaching them and wasting there time. I'd like to have the answers to all my questions before asking a recruiter.

Rocky C
04-02-10, 03:34 PM
Here are ALL of the Reserve Units.

http://www.usmcra.org/Units.html

tdrt
04-02-10, 03:38 PM
I have read the rules, and updated my profile, Thanks for the heads up. I haven't talked to the recruiters because Im trying to get as squared away as I can before approaching them and wasting there time. I'd like to have the answers to all my questions before asking a recruiter.

You won't be wasting their time. That's what they're there for -- to answer these type questions. You will get much better and more accurate answers from them than from us.

Quinbo
04-02-10, 06:33 PM
There has to be a billet at the reserve center you drill at. Simplified.... you can't be a truck driver and drill at a reserve center that doesn't have any trucks. Would be hard on the wallet to fly every month to drill. I know a few that do it. If you are determined to drill at your local reserve center then you should ask them what billets they have available. If you are determined to go recon then you'll have to drill at a reserve center that has recon billets.

Getting contracted for Recon and making it are two different things. There is no guarentee. You could (heaven forbid) bomb BRC or get hurt and then you are pretty much open contract.

From what I've read the current recon pipeline from boot camp to full fledged recon takes about 8 months. Are you prepared for that?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-03-10, 01:43 AM
More importantly, to follow up on Bulkyker's point, is your job ready for that? SWAT skills, like those of Recon, are perishable by nature. To a certain extent, so are patrol skills (yeah, yeah, I'm talking like the FTO I am...).

While your agency, by law, has to let you go, the biggest question is, 8 months is 8 months, and that's BEFORE deployments. You WILL fall behind in training and miss some opportunities.

And the adjustment from street police to Marine PFC will NOT be an easy one, I assure you. I've GOT that t-shirt.