PDA

View Full Version : Post your most impressive challenge coin.

CplAllen
04-02-10, 05:47 AM
I know there are some folks on here who probably have some very nice challenge coins in their collections but mine has to be the 24th MEU coin. I also have an error coin from a First Sgt retirement ceremony that is pretty special. So what are some good coins out there? Also, does anyone know of a good website for challenge coins? There are a few I need to get from units I was apart of and places I went.

Garyius
04-02-10, 07:59 AM
Assistant Secretary of the Army. I got it for arguing with her about history.

sscjoe
04-02-10, 08:46 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=10258&albumid=44&dl=1270215889&thumb=1 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=44&pictureid=10258)
3 Star and 1 Star Generals from USMA West Point

echo3oscar1833
04-02-10, 08:51 AM
My most impressive one, and the only one I actually owned was my 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion Coin. It got ruined, and had to toss it. :( Thankfully when I was in I got two, and a buddy of mine as the other one. I want to get it, but I won't ask him cause I would feel bad asking for it back. :D The thing that sucks is it is one that I don't think you can just by out of a catalog, they where specially minted for our unit for that time frame. :( I have been thinking about getting a stadium stand, and start collecting them.

GSEMarine94
04-02-10, 08:57 AM
They didn't have challenge coins when I was in the Corps, but I have started getting them since I joined the Guard. My favorite is from Ole Miss ROTC commander (LtCol) it is shaped like a dog tag. The one I got from a 2 star (state TAG) is also pretty cool.

jackson07
04-02-10, 09:29 AM
I have the ARCENT CG (3 star) coin, and the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps (4 star) coin. Those are my two most impressive. Though I am pretty proud of my DLI coin.

zx6rdr
04-02-10, 12:16 PM
Sec Def and Sec Nav coins from Fallujah in 2004

doc h fmf
04-02-10, 12:37 PM
Hate to sound like a dumb a** how did you get one?

lastcigar
04-02-10, 12:56 PM
I'm curious, I never heard of challenge coins until 3 or 4 years ago. When did all of this start. When I first heard of them I thought they were awarded for achieving a goal or doing something special. Now I understand that you can buy them on the Internet, or sometimes your unit has them made and hands them out, or people give them away kind of like getting an autograph. I'm not being critical, don't mean to sound that way but just trying to understand.
So is it like collecting souvenir spoons when you're on vacation? Do any of you old Marines remember this and I just missed it. Again not being disrespectful just wondering.
Thanks.

Garyius
04-02-10, 01:18 PM
I got out of the Corps in 92, and we weren't getting them then.

I got three in the guard, around 93-96 time frame, and everyone in the army know about them and a lot had one or more.

I was telling my story about my one for arguing in the early 2000s and a then serving Marine said they were starting to get them in the Corps.

They seem to be used for a 'good job' somewhere under where a letter would be used.

It looks like now they are more of a keepsake.

Did you ever get one of the Team Spirit keychains that the Korean government gave out? They seem to be more like that, now.

GSEMarine94
04-02-10, 01:23 PM
Yeah pretty sure they are a new thing, as I said they didn't have them when I was in (94-98). Not sure when they came about though, as I have only been back in about a year now.
I have noticed that while you can get generic unit ones online or at the PX, the ones that are impressive are the ones that are specially made.

Rocky C
04-02-10, 01:25 PM
Hundreds of Challenge Coins Here.
Good Thread Brother!!!

http://usmcshop.grunt.com/Products/Marines/Coins/Default.aspx

lastcigar
04-02-10, 01:29 PM
I got a lapel pin stick button where I got my honorable discharge but that had been around a long time. Kinda of like the old Ruptured Duck pin from WW II, I think that it replaced the Duck for...

Rocky C
04-02-10, 01:33 PM
:thumbup: I still have mine :usmc:

lastcigar
04-02-10, 01:39 PM
You know I get the Sgt. Grit catalog and have ordered stuff but never really paid any attention to those coins. Failure to engage trigger housing group I guess. I even stopped at his shop one time on a trip though Ok. City. He is real close to the airport. His staff treated me great. When I flew out I had to empty my carryon because of all the unusually shaped metal objects I bought there. Finally one of the TSA guys said he figured I had been over there, he was a Marine also.

NoRemorse
04-02-10, 01:40 PM

Ditto

lastcigar
04-02-10, 01:42 PM
Me too.

BR34
04-02-10, 01:45 PM
Here's my favorite. It was given to me by Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Kent for winning Marine of the Year.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/KamauXX/SMMCcoin002.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/KamauXX/SMMCcoin004.jpg

Waveslide
04-02-10, 01:49 PM
No pic, but I have the 100th anniversary Hospital Corpsman Coin.

Rocky C
04-02-10, 01:50 PM
Here's my favorite. It was given to me by Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Kent for winning Marine of the Year.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/KamauXX/SMMCcoin002.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/KamauXX/SMMCcoin004.jpg

WOW!!!
That's SWEET!!!:thumbup:
Congrats Brother

Lisa 23
04-02-10, 02:12 PM
I'm curious, I never heard of challenge coins until 3 or 4 years ago. When did all of this start. When I first heard of them I thought they were awarded for achieving a goal or doing something special. Now I understand that you can buy them on the Internet, or sometimes your unit has them made and hands them out, or people give them away kind of like getting an autograph. I'm not being critical, don't mean to sound that way but just trying to understand.
So is it like collecting souvenir spoons when you're on vacation? Do any of you old Marines remember this and I just missed it. Again not being disrespectful just wondering.
Thanks.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>http://www.coinforce.com/images/challenge-coin-history_450x42.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>During World War 1, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze and presented them to his unit. One young pilot placed the medallion in a small leather pouch that he wore about his neck.

Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilots’ aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.

He succeeded in avoiding German patrols by donning civilian attire and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, saboteurs had plagued the French in the sector. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. He had no identification to prove his allegiance, but he did have his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners and one of his French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion. They delayed his execution long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him they gave him a bottle of wine.

Back at his squadron, it became tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through challenge in the following manner - a challenger would ask to see the medallion. If the challenged could not produce a medallion, they were required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged them. If the challenged member produced a medallion, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued on throughout the war and for many years after the war while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>http://www.coinforce.com/images/challenge-coin-rules_450x42.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>Note: A "Coin Check" consists of a Challenge and a Response.

1. RULES:
A. The challenge is initiated by drawing your coin, holding it in the air by whatever means possible and state, scream, shout or otherwise verbally acknowledge that you are initiating a coin check. Another, but less vocal method is to firmly place it on the bar, table, or floor (this should produce an audible noise which can be easily heard by those being challenged, but try not to leave a permanent imprint). If you accidentally drop your coin and it makes an audible sound upon impact, then you have just "accidentally" initiated a coin check. (This is called paying the price for improper care of your coin.)

B. The response consists of all those persons being challenged drawing their coin in a like manner.

C. If you are challenged and are unable to properly respond, you must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and the group being challenged.

D. If everyone being challenged responds in the correct manner, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for all those people they challenged.

E. Failure to buy a round is a despicable crime and will require that you turn-in your Coin to the issuing agency.

2. WHEN - WHERE:
A. Coin checks are permitted, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE.

3. EXCEPTIONS:
A. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to those clothed or unclothed. At the time of the challenge you are permitted one step and an arms reach to locate your coin. If you still cannot reach it -- SORRY ABOUT THAT!

4. A COIN IS A COIN

http://www.coinforce.com/challenge-coin-history.htm

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quinbo
04-02-10, 02:49 PM
I have quite a few but think this one is the coolest.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/ItalyandCoinPictures033.jpg

Solid brass and about the size of a can of chew. They were made from spent brass.

lastcigar
04-02-10, 03:49 PM
A can of chew. That's huge. You must not carry it for the drinking challenge WMarine posted. That's a cool drinking game, I'm sure we would have done it in Nam if it was around. Come to think of it we did pretty good with other drinking games. SF big time.

Wheels123
04-02-10, 05:10 PM
Deputy Commandant for Aviation- LtGen Trautman. Got it for picking him up from Hickam AFB.

Whitey
04-02-10, 05:29 PM
So i never quite understood this. in order to win the challenge noone can have a coin that matches yours but if everyone does you lose?

Lisa 23
04-02-10, 05:38 PM
Well, the way I read the rules and when I've been challenged, is that if you cannot produce a challenge coin when challenged, you're the one buying a round of beers! :beer: If everyone is able to produce their challenge coins, then the person doing the challenge must buy a round of beers. :beer:
To me, a challenge coin is a challenge coin whether you have the same one as someone else or not.

Quinbo
04-02-10, 05:57 PM
A friend of mine at the base watering hole got coined one night. He pulled out a ranger coin and the guy said ohh mine beats yours I have (fill in the blank). My friend said I'll be right back. He trotted over to the hotel and came back with a whole bag of coins. He laid out a Sec Def, a Delta Force, CMC and on and on. Everyone of these coins that beats yours your gonna buy a round for the bar. That dude shut up real quick LOL.

I'm with Lisa a coin is a coin.

JRHD72
04-02-10, 06:10 PM
Challenge coins were never thought of when I was in. I collect cigarrettte lighters. My proudest possession is a ronson lighter. It was presented by Lemuel C. Sheppard to his personal pilot. ( pilots initials are C.A.W.) I am still trying to identify who CAW was? I have all Vietnam CMC's except uncle LEW!
Any one who can help me identify CAW, the help would be gratefully appreciated.

Deduke
04-02-10, 06:40 PM
Colonel Wesley Fox.

Quinbo
04-02-10, 06:47 PM
Holy catfish! You have a colonel fox coin? That is freakin awesome!

Point of interest: Colonel Fox was the last active duty medal of honor recipient prior to the current wars.

I tried unsuccessfully last year to acquire a Jack Lucas coin.

usmc3521
04-02-10, 07:58 PM
mine is from the Secratary of Defense William Cohen. When I was T.A.D at Quantico as an Instructor for the Young Marines Staff NCO academy Back in 1999 we visited the Pentagon and met him and our past commandant General Jones

Deduke
04-02-10, 11:04 PM
Shortly after the "Fonda incident", Capt Tom Moore held a barbeque on his patio. In attendance were several CAP Marines, Maj Gene Duncan, and representatives from Texas who drove up from Dallas for the day. One of the CAP Marines was L/Cpl Miguel Keith's A-gunner. The Texas Marines presented a challenge coin from the Texas Association of Former Marines, and the coin from Col Fox.

Remind me later and I will tell you a story that gives me goose-bumps to this day.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 05:22 AM
Nice RhodeIsland! That's what I was looking for.
I'm pretty sure the challenge coin has been around since WWII. I heard a story once about a US pilot having his life spared by showing a unit coin. Not sure if they were used like challenge coins but they've been around.

echo3oscar1833
04-03-10, 09:25 AM
Challenge coins are nothing new, all the stories I've ever heard, the actual tradition of using Challenge Coins, and Challenging has gone away over the years. They are nothing new gents, you just never got one to use lol :marine: :D

MUSTANG0369
04-03-10, 10:16 AM
They are nothing new. They have been around for my last 14 years. Most are awarded as atta boys. Others are given coins when they join a unit. Other units use them as gifts at birthday balls and mess nights. No set rule, but you do see those coin collectors running around.

1stRad2671
04-03-10, 07:42 PM
Most impressive? Hard to call for me. What do you think?

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/274681/Coins.jpg

CplAllen
04-04-10, 02:12 AM

Wow. Very nice. I'll get back to you. You own these???

Komenko
04-04-10, 04:12 AM

only two stand out the rest you can buy at the PX lol. General Jones and Assis. SecNav Barnum very nice. closest thing i got is R.Lee Eremey's Mail Call Challenge coin!

coffeejoejava
04-05-10, 01:23 PM
I got one from the Commanding General of the 10th Army in Panama 1999 for moving his forces out of Panama to Puerto Rico. Wasn't supposed to be movingthem, was down there to embark the Marines stationed there. Ended up helping them because they do not have embarkers in the Army. He shook my hand and Thank you for your expertise and in his hand was one of his personal coins.

CplKJSpevak
04-05-10, 02:46 PM
I got 3
1 given to me by my MSgt. when promoted to Cpl.
1 given to me by my recruiter (founders coin) he's the founder of our MCL
1 is a Patch holders only coin for the Leatherneck Nation Motorcycle club

JWDevilDog
04-05-10, 05:08 PM
Mine is President Bush's personal Commander-in-Chief coin. Given to me when I was home on leave (after MOS school. I hadn't even hit the Fleet yet), attending one of his speeches in my State. I was in my Blue Bravos. He snapped a few pictures with me, talked to me for a few minutes, shook my hand and slipped me this coin.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs518.snc3/27214_531716863572_59102588_31409988_7462348_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs518.snc3/27214_531716868562_59102588_31409989_6410860_n.jpg

Quinbo
04-05-10, 05:52 PM
That has to be the topper JW

Garyius
04-05-10, 08:23 PM
I got one from the Commanding General of the 10th Army in Panama 1999 for moving his forces out of Panama to Puerto Rico. Wasn't supposed to be movingthem, was down there to embark the Marines stationed there. Ended up helping them because they do not have embarkers in the Army. He shook my hand and Thank you for your expertise and in his hand was one of his personal coins.

Not looking to argue at all, just wondering.

I spent a year as an MP in the army doing patrol work, and some of the folks I met were army ship warrants. As I understood it, the captains and deck officers and engineers of the army ships are warrants, and the regular commissioned guys are the terminal and loading bosses, and when they get real rank command the units of ships.

I just went went to the army site and they do list 88Cs as the marine (army ship) terminal officers.

Did they just not have any down there or are you better at loading the ships?

jackson07
04-06-10, 12:16 AM
Not looking to argue at all, just wondering.

I spent a year as an MP in the army doing patrol work, and some of the folks I met were army ship warrants. As I understood it, the captains and deck officers and engineers of the army ships are warrants, and the regular commissioned guys are the terminal and loading bosses, and when they get real rank command the units of ships.

I just went went to the army site and they do list 88Cs as the marine (army ship) terminal officers.

Did they just not have any down there or are you better at loading the ships?

The Army has mobility officers. (Warrant Officers) In my experience, coming from working with both very closely on this deployment, the average Marine Embark Officer (0430, Warrant Officer/LDO) has a better knowldege base and more experience than the Army's mobility officers.

I am in no way or form saying an Army Mobility Officer is not able to do the same job. They just have less chances at working with ships, or at a port.

il duce
05-13-10, 11:52 PM
Got a MCRD 3rd Battalion Kilo Co coin from the Co Commander after making Platoon Honorman... which I later learned could be purchased at the gift shop

I do have one from the ITB Battalion Commander (Paul Ison award) that I havent been able to locate elsewhere so its the one I carry

Jarhead8692
01-22-11, 11:49 PM
It has to be the Coin that the Company did up, in memory of our fallen brothers (helo crash of the coast of Okinawa 1989) Golf Co 3rd Plt 2/3 K-Bay, HI. All that were lost are listed on it.

R.I.P. my Brothers

jwalker242
03-21-14, 09:19 AM
General Amos Commandant Coin picked up during a visit and Q&A session with NCOs

lawenforcement
02-11-15, 03:10 AM
Custom Challenge coins are becoming so significant and becoming popular now a days. What the law enforcement challenge coins means to soldiers, police officers?

devilbones2
02-13-15, 09:02 PM
Custom Challenge coins are becoming so significant and becoming popular now a days. What the law enforcement challenge coins means to soldiers, police officers?
Same as any other unit that you were never a part of, nothing.

USMCARivera
02-27-15, 12:44 PM
Checked his profile and he isn't a marine. Can someone kick him out?

chulaivet1966
02-27-15, 05:47 PM
I've revisited this thread on occasion out of curiosity.
I don't know what USMC I was in but I'd never heard of a challenge coin.
Either I'm poser or I was in before it became ubiquitous in the USMC.

Still....interesting read when I do check in here.

(ARivera...you were an 0811 too...you can't be all bad;))

Carry on....

ErikHeiker
03-04-15, 12:08 AM
I got one from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (General Pace) when he came to Afghanistan in 2006. Our C-130 crew was tasked with flying him to some of the outposts over there. General Pace is the only Marine to ever hold that title.

silverdollar
03-04-15, 07:03 AM
Never heard of the challenge coin or yellow footprints until I found this website.

doc h fmf
03-04-15, 08:06 AM
Boy law enforcement was in Marine Corps Basic Training for over 30years . He went in 1974 and graduated in 2008.and is a e1 and still in service???

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

sledjockey
03-05-15, 01:21 PM
Boy law enforcement was in Marine Corps Basic Training for over 30years . He went in 1974 and graduated in 2008.and is a e1 and still in service???

Semper Fi

Might have never filled out his profile.

My favorite coin is from 3/7.... It was given to me after range 400 when I was the only doc who didn't end up like the other 25 heat casualties I had to stick..... I also got second one before the ball that year so I gave my daughter mine from the range when she graduated boot camp.

FoxtrotOscar
03-05-15, 07:01 PM
Only challenge coin I got....

28630 ;)

Big Boz
03-05-15, 08:19 PM
This thread gave me the idea to give one to my son and a couple of his fellow recruits/soon to be Marines on family day or graduation day. He said that he has made pretty good friends with a few guys.

I am going to give them the Band of Brothers challenge coin with this 2 part explanation.
1. To let them know that this old Marine will support them in their new life as a Marine and that the bond goes beyond those currently serving.
2. To challenge them to stay in contact with each other throughout the years after knowing that they helped each other become Marines.

USMCARivera
03-09-15, 02:16 PM

Semper Fi

I always tell poolees the easiest way to get out of Parris Island is to graduate. I guess his recruiter didn't tell him. Lol

I wish I had some of these impressive challenge coins like you guys have. The only special one I have is when I won recruiter of the year for my district. Even that one is pretty commonplace amongst recruiters.

Phantom Blooper
03-09-15, 07:26 PM
I don't have any coins...except some loose change...but since I am mentally challenged....does dat' count?

lawenforcement
04-09-15, 04:17 AM
Challenge coins exist for branches of the military, police as well as other organizations. The most common are made for the U.S. Army, Navy, Air force and Marines. Can anyone know about rules for law enforcement challenge coins and what do they mean?

ricardk20
04-10-15, 04:54 AM

Received this from General Conway at a Saints vs Patriots game. It was Military Appreciation Day. The General did the coin toss. The Saints won.