PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know my father?

rgoms
04-02-10, 01:40 AM
My father, Richard Herbert Goms of Minneapolis, Minnesota, died in 1996. I am just going through his personal effects and learned to my surprise that he was on active duty in the USMC from 1943 to...

hbharrison
04-02-10, 03:05 AM
As his son you can ask for all of his millitary records and they will give them to you as long as you have his service number which should be on his discharge papers. Looks like you need to send for...

rgoms
12-30-13, 09:29 PM
My dad flew for the Air Ferry Service (VRF-1) during the war out of Floyd Bennett Field in New York. He trained in the Piper Cub J-3 (still flying in a private collection in Michigan), the Boeing-Stearman Kaydet, aka Yellow Peril, the SNV's and SNJ's at USNAS Pensacola, the Douglas SBD Dauntless, and the Corsairs, fixed-wing, gull-wing, and folding wing. He flew these aircraft out to El Cerrito, San Diego and Alameda for use against the Japanese in the Pacific Theatre. Some of these included the Douglas Skytrain R4D-1, PBY-SA, General Motors FM-2 Wildcat, Grumman TBM-3E “Avenger” torpedo bomber, the Twin Beech SNB-2 Navigator, and the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair, which he blew a tire upon landing. He was detached to Cherry Point (AES-46), and VMF-921 & 924, MAG-92, 9th MAW. He recorded a military total of 819.7 hours flight time. He retired from the service as a Captain, USMCR III (NAVC).