PDA

View Full Version : Food!

Chocopie
04-01-10, 06:23 PM
Ok we all know about the MRE's.. are they really that bad as they are said to be?
But I want to know about the food in the Marine Corps, how was it at bootcamp?
Personally I cant wait to try it. But anyways, how was it? What did you guys eat?

Now after bootcamp, how is the food at the Chow Hall?
I hear and read alot that Marines go out to buy food, and go to restaurants to eat. But why? Is the food at the Chow Hall not good?
I think, I will be in the Chow hall any chance I get.

tdrt
04-01-10, 06:30 PM
Don't remember the food in bootcamp -- just happy to sit and eat.

Chow Hall food -- not too bad. The breakfasts are awesome -- especially the made-to-order omelets. As for the rest, eh. Always a salad bar if you don't like the main entre. But it's food. You hungry. You eat.

As for buying your own, nice to have a little change. Same as for restaurants. You don't have to eat at the chow hall, but it saves a lot of money to do so.

MRE - depends. Everyone has their favorites but in general, they're not too bad either. Besides, you're in the field and so damn hungry, you just eat them.

Lisa 23
04-01-10, 06:31 PM
It's Marines, not you guys.
And don't worry about the food. Where Marines want to eat is their choice.
And these questions are getting more and more ridiculous lately.

Chocopie
04-01-10, 06:41 PM
They do change the food options though right?
i mean, im not a picky eater.. i'll eat anything, as long as it's edible and not disgusting.

haebyungdae
04-01-10, 06:47 PM
Bootcamp: You will think the chow hall or MREs are the greatest thing on earth, its only an illusion.

Regular chow halls: This is tough to answer cause it all depends where you are, if you are even at a chow hall on a Marine base, etc. In general I would say the food is decent, but compared what you are paying for it you can't beat it.

Eating out/Buying: When you are PFC or Lance its hard to go out to eat a lot or buy your own food to make your own stuff just cause you don't get paid that much. But, most people, when they start getting some decent pay they will tend to shift to doing this more and more (At least the guys I was with). Also, I do this cause I don't have an accessible chow hall at my current unit.

MREs: Ditto on what was said before. The new ones are pretty good, at least better then the ones prior.

Don't worry about food too much, its nothing to look forward to.

FattyTheFerret
04-01-10, 06:57 PM
The few chow halls I've eaten at vary.

Boot camp and Area 52 at Camp Pendleton (SOI) has food about on par with median-income school food. Except for the eggs. Disgusting, powdered blocks of yellow broken up with a ladle to make them look like real eggs.

Yuma was a step above that. I guess it's just the recruits/students that get shafted.

I've eaten at two Army chow halls and they weren't bad. The Navy chow halls at Meridian and Great Mistakes are better. Looking forward to my first Air Force chow hall. I hear they take your tray for you.

SlingerDun
04-01-10, 07:03 PM
But anyways, how was it?Free!?

tdrt
04-01-10, 07:05 PM
The few chow halls I've eaten at vary.

Boot camp and Area 52 at Camp Pendleton (SOI) has food about on par with median-income school food. Except for the eggs. Disgusting, powdered blocks of yellow broken up with a ladle to make them look like real eggs.

Yuma was a step above that. I guess it's just the recruits/students that get shafted.

I've eaten at two Army chow halls and they weren't bad. The Navy chow halls at Meridian and Great Mistakes are better. Looking forward to my first Air Force chow hall. I hear they take your tray for you.

Food in Yuma was pretty good. Take it you were at WTI?

Better food in Quantico.

Oh, and to answer your questions, yes, they do change it up -- some.

dROD20
04-01-10, 07:13 PM
I have had NO problems with any of the food at the 3 chow halls that I have been to. As far as boot camp, the taste doesnt matter bc you dont have enough time to give a damn. But it is good food as well. MRE's are amazing, well at least in my opinion...

Chocopie
04-01-10, 07:19 PM
lol thanks for the responses i cant wait to try them myself lol.
Im not worried about the food, just curious that's all.

tdrt
04-01-10, 07:42 PM
No problem. Ask away.

sscjoe
04-01-10, 07:55 PM
Like CPL Slinger said , it's free. Try c-rats in the field right out of the can, now that's a feast.

SGT7477
04-01-10, 08:17 PM
Ok we all know about the MRE's.. are they really that bad as they are said to be?
But I want to know about the food in the Marine Corps, how was it at bootcamp?
Personally I cant wait to try it. But anyways, how was it? What did you guys eat?

Now after bootcamp, how is the food at the Chow Hall?
I hear and read alot that Marines go out to buy food, and go to restaurants to eat. But why? Is the food at the Chow Hall not good?
I think, I will be in the Chow hall any chance I get.
I guess when I was in it wasn't all bad, I always liked the C-Rats and the SOS was good no matter where I was stationed, but I can tell you for a fact the army had the better chow,lol.:D

temarti
04-01-10, 08:25 PM
This is what I like about Generation Y, they will get as much information as they can before stepping into something. The information that is available today as well as networking and forums creates a more prepared recruit than I know I was before stepping on the yellow footprints.

Keep asking the questions, it is a huge decision to make and all information you can get prior to going will only benefit you.

BTW, I felt the chow was good, like said before breakfast is the best.