PDA

View Full Version : Canadian joining the Corps

Canadian
03-31-10, 12:27 PM
My name is Billy Basile and im a Canadian living in Canada. My dream is to become a United States Marine, and since I am now 17 years old I just thought that I better start trying to make my dream come true.

Im always online trying to figure out ways that I can join the Corps and I always find different answers, some answers state that I need a Green Card to enlist, and other answers state that by talking to a recruiter I may be able to enlist without a Green Card. Can you please shed some light on these answers and let me know which one is correct. And also, if I talk to a recruiter can they help me enlist into the Marines within a year?

Is there anything that I can do as of now to help my enlistment process run a little more smoothly?

Thanks, Billy Basile

rickyracer
03-31-10, 12:52 PM
Can you get the phone # of a recruiter near you and call them and ask for your self?
This can show that you are really interested. I do not know, but I do think it would reasonable to believe you need a card.

Phantom Blooper
03-31-10, 03:26 PM
Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Zulu 36
03-31-10, 09:33 PM
What Blooper said.

A lot of Canadians have served proudly and well in the Marine Corps. I knew several and each was an outstanding Marine. Hopefully you can get your Green Card and follow in those eminent footsteps. Good luck.